FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Folk, I am new to the forum and I am thinking of buying a PS90. There is alot of post about this rifle having problems .Now I have been to the gun shop and love the look and the feel of this rifle but with a price tag at around 1500 is this rifle worth it. I need to hear from some of you guys that have 1000 and up rounds threw thiers. I am also looking for 10 round mags for the PS90. You see I live in the peoples republic of
massachusetts and they only let you have 10 rounders. :roll:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think you will find most of us here LOVE our PS90s.. I do.

I've only had mine a short while, but I am not aware of any chronic or common problems with them...

I just had a 5-7 pistol set aside for me at Buds to go with the PS90. So, I'm not planning on getting rid of mine anytime soon!

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I read everything here and really haven't seen any problems talked baout with the rifle. The FS2000 seems to have some issues (nothing major) - but not the PS90. The stock sight isn't the best on the PS90, and people often get an aftermarket rail and replace it.

And, Just be aware U may want to velcor the ejection area so spent casings doesn't dent the polymer (I have a write up about this in the "Product Review" section). But, I am not sure what else you have heard.

No problems at all!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome, Patron! You will not be disappointed in the PS90. Purchasing is easy. Deciding on which model may not be as easy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I love mine. I held off for a long time because of ammo cost. But now all ammo cost the same across the board. So I bought one.

Yes it is a lot of money to dump into one gun. But I bought other guns in the mean time and they just didn't make me smile like this one.

Personally the AR has more problems than this gun. The AR has been around a whole lot longer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The problems listed here are pretty much bullshit ! I have ten of them, well eleven after the new deal go's through. The two we shoot all the time have between 2,500 and 3,500 through them with no jams, no mag failures, and nothing else listed here and there on the internet. The only issue I have had is 2 of the older mags feed lips on one side seperated while cleaning and had to be glued back with polymer bond. Those two mags have about 1,500 rounds through them since we "put them back together" and have yet to have another problem. I did notice on the one that the dust cover was starting to show a few dings ater 3,500 rounds so we helicopter taped it and haven't had any other issue's. Buy the gun it is fricking awesome to shoot, although be aware that this is NOT a 308 or a high caliber long range shooter it is a PDW and should not be expected to make thousand yard shots. It will how ever group 1 inch at 250 yards if your a skilled shooter and have good optics. Do yourself a favor though, if your going to buy just one, buy the tri-rail as it is more cost effective and gives a better sight picture with an eotech !

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
tgr934x4 said:
The problems listed here are pretty much bullshit ! !
Kind Sir, problems experienced are documented from forum members. I am glad that you do not have any issues - other than the ones you have eluded to.

No gun is without issues and we are here to learn and mitigate if necessary.

Please tone it down.

Thanks,

-TH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thanks guys I bid and won the auction on Gunbrokers. The one from Tanner,s sport center you can not beat the price for a triple rail 1375. Now to start looking for 10 round Mags and some ammo. It looks like Iam going to spend the food money, time to eat one of the neighbors. :-D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thermallator said:
tgr934x4 said:
The problems listed here are pretty much bullshit ! !
Kind Sir, problems experienced are documented from forum members. I am glad that you do not have any issues - other than the ones you have eluded to.

No gun is without issues and we are here to learn and mitigate if necessary.

Please tone it down.

Thanks,

-TH
Sorry therm I just can't believe that these failures happen especially when I have put so many rounds threw mine and never experienced or even been able to duplicate the very failures mentioned. I have also fired 1,200 rounds in one sitting without cleaning the gun and not had a single fail to fire or jam, not even a single damaged mag? So, to me some of these are BS. Granted that I have had a couple of mag issue's while cleaning, but after fixing them there hasn't been a single problem. I know, I am sorry for my rant, it's just I go toother forums and the mere mention of the FN PS90 starts an instant pissing match about how big of a piece of crap it is? It is really starting to piss me off ! I know it isn't an issue here and am sorry for my extreme position.

·
Vendor
5,592 Posts
:)
PATRON, You will absolutly love this Rifle!! I live in Mass. also and have to put up with the 10 rd rule also. :cry: But on the bright side... I get to wear my "thevestguy" vest and get to practice quick mag changes. It also keeps you from burning through ammo too quickly.
I just got back from sighting in my CETME .308 rifle. Put 120 rds to test all the mags etc. Then played with my PS90 and I was able to hold the sights on target at 50 yards rapid fire. IT IS MY FAVORITE RIFLE.

Hey, PM me and let me know if you want to get together for a shoot. :shock:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
PATRON said:
Well, thanks guys I bid and won the auction on Gunbrokers. The one from Tanner,s sport center you can not beat the price for a triple rail 1375. Now to start looking for 10 round Mags and some ammo. It looks like Iam going to spend the food money, time to eat one of the neighbors. :-D
Congratulations and great buy! Let us know how you like it when you have spent some rounds. :D

·
Banned
58 Posts
My exact words after the first shoot were: "Money well spent".

It's basically an overgrown handgun compared to some of the light artillery that you can find at a range. It's uniqueness and the light recoil and overall feel make it a blast to shoot. I bought mine and then had to turn around and loan it back to the dealer so he could shoot it too!

The argument regarding sights is a valid complaint. But here's the reality: You don't buy a cadillac without specifying some personal options, and a quality weapon is no different. The company, IMO, is saving us the hassle by not standardizing a sight and letting buyers customize that at their own discretion. I MUCH prefer that over replacing crap sites.

But I can justify it on a coupla levels:

1) Not a bad personal defense weapon. Easier to have in the house for that need than say an AK47 or M4.
2) Doesn't take up a lot of space, easy to move, transport.
3) Low recoil when shooting makes it a LOT of fun.

Gun owners are finicky. They like things a certain way and don't like change, even when it's an improvement.

This gun is an improvement. And from hearing what the reps at RSR group have to say, I don't know of many places that keep ps90's in stock for long.

And if you do buy, make sure you get a sling from Urban ERT, they are bad ass!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
tgr934x4 said:
The problems listed here are pretty much bullshit ! I have ten of them, well eleven after the new deal go's through. The two we shoot all the time have between 2,500 and 3,500 through them with no jams, no mag failures, and nothing else listed here and there on the internet. The only issue I have had is 2 of the older mags feed lips on one side seperated while cleaning and had to be glued back with polymer bond. Those two mags have about 1,500 rounds through them since we "put them back together" and have yet to have another problem. I did notice on the one that the dust cover was starting to show a few dings ater 3,500 rounds so we helicopter taped it and haven't had any other issue's. Buy the gun it is fricking awesome to shoot, although be aware that this is NOT a 308 or a high caliber long range shooter it is a PDW and should not be expected to make thousand yard shots. It will how ever group 1 inch at 250 yards if your a skilled shooter and have good optics. Do yourself a favor though, if your going to buy just one, buy the tri-rail as it is more cost effective and gives a better sight picture with an eotech !
Damn, dude, ELEVEN! You are the PS90 king! :shock:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Get IT!

Patron, I just picked my up 2 weeks ago any just love it! I've only been able to fire a 100 rds, (waiting for more to arrive). As far as problems, the P90 design has been around for over a decade, so any improvements made by FN would have been put into the PS90. Just my guess!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The PS90 has been an awesome experience since i purched my original green model variet and two more black models preceeding it a year later.

Over the last 1.5 years it have proven to be the one weapon you shoud own providing you have no problems spending about 50 percent more for ammo over 5.56mm.

Generally everyone is my shooting group love the little beast but there are always a few clowns out there making bold statements about its preformance and round penitration on gelitan or tissue damage as being substandard.

I can only say that 40gr bullet hits your ass it will ruin your day. I have dijested over 2.5k in rounds in each of the three PS90's and had only one failure to eject which was easiey to fix, the gun needed a cleaning and she was off plugging organic pumkins and steel plate targets.

The carbine is short, bell ballenced, full of firepower and accurate as any 16" inch rifle at zero to 150 meters. I have nailed rabbits at ninty meters and all there buggers can do is the back leg shake....

I have modified my green PS90 with a Trijicon Tripower with tri mount which works great and the black models have maintained thier original ring sight system which is more than good enough for field use. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts