FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
HK SD9 Tactical. I just registered after seeing a few post from you when I Google searched reload data for the 5.7 round. I listed you as my sponsor when doing my registration. Now if you see that it'll make sense. I'm calling myself quickshot, from North Carolina & have a PS90 & a FiveSeven. My brief Google search shower you giving some really good information. Just telling you ahead of time that I appreciate it.
I'm looking to start reloading for all my handguns and want to do some custom shotgun loading as well. If you can copy paste some info I'd appreciate your thoughts on a few things.
1. What reload press do you recommend? I plan to do a shared reloading setup and all of us are wide open to what is the fastest, bestest press. Of course with the five seven precision is paramount. I do hope we can get some speed out of it as well. I don't plan on doing that many rounds, my speed shooting days are behind me. Probably will be an initial rush of some thousands followed by just a few thousand a year.
2. You mentioned reload data for all the 5.7 rounds. Can you copy and paste that or give me a link to it?
3. Last regarding the PS90, I lost my brass collector. Where do you suggest picking up a new one?
I covered myself well on most everything related to this round. I have dozens of magazines for both the PS90 & the FiveSeven. Also bought a few extra rounds and have kept my brass. I'd feel better if I had a brass collector for my FiveSeven pistol.
Thanks,
Quickshot

·
Administrator
12,041 Posts
Hi
HK SD9 Tactical. I just registered after seeing a few post from you when I Google searched reload data for the 5.7 round. I listed you as my sponsor when doing my registration. Now if you see that it'll make sense. I'm calling myself quickshot, from North Carolina & have a PS90 & a FiveSeven. My brief Google search shower you giving some really good information. Just telling you ahead of time that I appreciate it.
I'm looking to start reloading for all my handguns and want to do some custom shotgun loading as well. If you can copy paste some info I'd appreciate your thoughts on a few things.
Welcome to the forum. If you are just starting reloading, I would advise shying away from the 5.7X28mm round unless you are really well versed in the mechanics of reloading and pay very close attention to detail as this round is very unforgiving and a very small powder change can result in a devastating day. You may want to get some time reloading other types of ammunition before venturing into the 5.7X28mm arena. As an alternative, you can try to find a seasoned reloader nearby that is willing to assist you as you start you hobby of reloading.

1. What reload press do you recommend? I plan to do a shared reloading setup and all of us are wide open to what is the fastest, bestest press. Of course with the five seven precision is paramount. I do hope we can get some speed out of it as well. I don't plan on doing that many rounds, my speed shooting days are behind me. Probably will be an initial rush of some thousands followed by just a few thousand a year.
Reloading presses are like women. They come in various sizes, shapes, and each has their unique use. No two are alike and some will piss you off much easier than others. If you are just starting out, I recommend a single stage press setup. My first was a RCBS RockChucker Supreme that I still use. A progressive press does many things at one time and it is easy to get a little off track. And unless you shoot lots and lots of rounds each and every month, a progressive press will be too much of an expense. If you shoot over 500 to 1000 rounds a month, then a progressive is something to look at. A turret press is also a good recommendation as some of them can be used in single stage mode. There are plenty of manufactures out there from the low end Lee to the mid/high end systems like Hornady, Dillon, RCBS among a few. Many of these manufacturer also have single stage setups. As an example, I have single stage presses from Lee, Hornady, RCBS and a progressive from Hornady. Do not get stuck on the Red/Blue/Green Koolaid wagon. Do your own research and decide what is best for you. They all have their ups and downs (no pun intended) but warranty service is almost equal across the board. Some will say Dillon is best. I have a Hornady and have always gotten fast response from them.

2. You mentioned reload data for all the 5.7 rounds. Can you copy and paste that or give me a link to it?
I do not share my data over the net. You will have to PM me for it and the data is several years old. There is plenty of data out there on the net and some of it will make your firearms go KABOOM. I suggest that you get some reloading books and study them. I have reloading books from Hornady, Lee, Lyman, and of course the ever present The ABC's of Reloading. You may find that after reading The ABC's of Reloading that this is not something for you. So get this book first or get it from the Library, read it, understand it, and go from there. This is not a cut and paste hobby. You have to fully understand what you are doing and not just follow along like a cooking recipey. A good cook knows that something is not right with the recipey, and a good reloader knows the same.

3. Last regarding the PS90, I lost my brass collector. Where do you suggest picking up a new one?
Can't help you there either. I got mine from Magazine Parts for $29 in 2007 and have not bothered to keep up with current models since then. Search is a good tool to use. So is google. Wil Baca used to have some I think.

I covered myself well on most everything related to this round. I have dozens of magazines for both the PS90 & the FiveSeven. Also bought a few extra rounds and have kept my brass. I'd feel better if I had a brass collector for my FiveSeven pistol.
Thanks,
Quickshot
I use a universal brass catcher at the range. It is basically a large net with a frame around it. Anything that you hook onto the firearm will affect your shooting however the PS90 is probably the one brass catcher that will not affect your shooting. Brass in 5.7X28mm is only available from the range and from those that save and sell it. Virgin 5.7X28mm brass is not sold. The only way to get virgin brass is to buy loaded rounds and take down the rounds (dismantle them) for the brass. A very expensive endevour to undertake that will triple the cost of the purchased loaded round that you bought to dismantle then reload. A word of caution: this is probably the easiest round to make a mistake on and the number one round that will make you have a bad day if you do not know what you are doing. The developer of this round insist that it is not reloadable. However, if you pay attention to detail and know and understand what you are doing, you will join the ranks of many reloaders that have successfully loaded this round. If you do not, you will join the ranks of people that have blown up their guns and blamed it on the gun instead of themselves that made a mistake in reloading this round. You will also not save any money by reloading. You will just shoot a lot more.

·
Registered
803 Posts
quickshot,

I bought this a month ago, but have not had a chance to use it yet due to the weather. This mesh net can be mounted to any tripod with a 1/4" x 20tpi threaded bolt. Have a buddy stand behind you at a safe distance and once you figure out the average placement of ejecting rounds out of your FiveseveN, position it there and it should catch them nicely. When I shoot mine, they fling all the way over to the side berm of our range! And once on the ground, they are little buggers to discern from other cartridges. i am anxious to try mine out. Good luck, MAJOR

Link: Caldwell® Brass Trap : Cabela's

As for you PS-90 brass catcher, try mjk1 at http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-ps90-a...ss-catcher-product-offering-any-interest.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts