FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will let you know now this is going to be a kinda long write up, and i don't have any pictures of tight groups, phone died and well I didnt shoot any tight groups, just steel at distance.
So the last few days I have been telling myself I am going to go shooting when I got off work at 6 am but of course did not, well last night at work I decided I definitely would today. I have never been to a nice outdoor range with steel at good distances before. I usually just take a target out to the desert. Before today I had only shot my 17 once (got it 10 days ago) and only at like 75-100 yards. Also, with my ar15 I have never shot at any good distance either and have no real skills at all I just get sk excited im shooting I am almost out of ammo before I think about smooth trigger pull etc.

So the place I went had paper at 100 and steel on berms at 200,300,400,500,600, and 650. The scope I had is just a 200$ vortex diamondback 4-12 that i took off my ar15 sittin in a burris p.e.p.r. qd mount. So first few shots are on the paper dancing around the center a few inches (using prvi 145) after this I just started shooting steel. Hit the 12 inch 200..easy next round 12 inch 300, after that 12 inch at 400 and now I am straight up excited! So for awhile I just danced around these distances getting used to where to hold and stuff. After I while I thought im gonna try 600. A few misses later I hit the 18 inch square at 600! I was so happy I havent ever shot any distances like this so its cool for me I understand this is not good at all for most shooters. So after a while I hit the 12 inch pjg silhouette which I was very pleased with and then one that seemed around 12? Before the day ended I said if I hit the 6 inch at 600 I will be happy and go home.

40 or so rounds later I was on the last mag, fourth to last shot I send it and for once it was quiet right after I sent it and a second later I hear that satisfying THUMP! And can see that thing swinging away through the optic. I was so happy. This is my new favorite thing!
I could not be happier with my scar 17, spending almost my entire paycheck for 4 or so months was 1000000% worth it, I absolutely love it!! It felt awesome with all these bolt action 308s and 338s around me shooting and hitting the same targets. It was amazing. These rifles are just a step above everything else they break all the rules. Thank you for reading guys. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Awesome write up dtrump! I feel the same way about my SCAR's, PS90's, FS2K, FNX 45T and my FsN's! Now, I have to agree there is something special about the SCAR17-it just makes for an awesome day!!! Congrats on getting your 17 out and ringing steel!

I will let you know now this is going to be a kinda long write up, and i don't have any pictures of tight groups, phone died and well I didnt shoot any tight groups, just steel at distance.
So the last few days I have been telling myself I am going to go shooting when I got off work at 6 am but of course did not, well last night at work I decided I definitely would today. I have never been to a nice outdoor range with steel at good distances before. I usually just take a target out to the desert. Before today I had only shot my 17 once (got it 10 days ago) and only at like 75-100 yards. Also, with my ar15 I have never shot at any good distance either and have no real skills at all I just get sk excited im shooting I am almost out of ammo before I think about smooth trigger pull etc.

So the place I went had paper at 100 and steel on berms at 200,300,400,500,600, and 650. The scope I had is just a 200$ vortex diamondback 4-12 that i took off my ar15 sittin in a burris p.e.p.r. qd mount. So first few shots are on the paper dancing around the center a few inches (using prvi 145) after this I just started shooting steel. Hit the 12 inch 200..easy next round 12 inch 300, after that 12 inch at 400 and now I am straight up excited! So for awhile I just danced around these distances getting used to where to hold and stuff. After I while I thought im gonna try 600. A few misses later I hit the 18 inch square at 600! I was so happy I havent ever shot any distances like this so its cool for me I understand this is not good at all for most shooters. So after a while I hit the 12 inch pjg silhouette which I was very pleased with and then one that seemed around 12? Before the day ended I said if I hit the 6 inch at 600 I will be happy and go home.

40 or so rounds later I was on the last mag, fourth to last shot I send it and for once it was quiet right after I sent it and a second later I hear that satisfying THUMP! And can see that thing swinging away through the optic. I was so happy. This is my new favorite thing!
I could not be happier with my scar 17, spending almost my entire paycheck for 4 or so months was 1000000% worth it, I absolutely love it!! It felt awesome with all these bolt action 308s and 338s around me shooting and hitting the same targets. It was amazing. These rifles are just a step above everything else they break all the rules. Thank you for reading guys. Happy shooting!

BBG-

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yup, nothing like ringing steel to make you grin. I did the same thing the other day and grinned each and every time I clanged one. Congrats on the clanging!

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Congrats on your 17. Yep, it's heck of distance shooter.

·
Registered
230 Posts
congrats... I don't have a 17 yet to accompany its little brother fde 16 but when it happens, I too hope to have the same grin you have right now

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like a blast and once you get used to shooting well at 600-650 yards all the closer in targets will be piece of cake, congrats.
I can't wait until I can throw some lead down range with my own 17. Are you going to install a custom trigger eventually.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a blast and once you get used to shooting well at 600-650 yards all the closer in targets will be piece of cake, congrats.
I can't wait until I can throw some lead down range with my own 17. Are you going to install a custom trigger eventually.
I probably will but man I have to say the stock trigger was good. It was breaking consistently every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts