FN Herstal Firearms banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Premium Member
Starrett Punch Set ordered, now I just need that 8lb framing hammer akitainu recommended.

See, I do pay attention... :)
You did get the milled face framing hammer, correct? What's cool about those is, when you completely miss the punch smacking your thumb instead, it leaves an awesome waffle impression.

Premium Member
Phuq... Now I have to go and buy one of those!!! :)
Yeah, definitely gonna need a milled face framer. Think of it for the ladies, no ladies can turn down the advances of men with waffle thumb. Honest i n j u n...

Registered
I m reading two different hammer to get is a 8oz ball peen hammer or a 8lb framing hammer or just order both. I already have the Starrett Punch Set in my cart from Amazon . Tia

Registered
I swapped mine in May 2020. Initially, I tried a few hammers from small ones you hold in your fingers up to a small sledgehammer. I bent several punches along the way. Never got the pin more than part way out. My frame was starting to show stress on one side.

The Apex Disassembly Fixture is the key. With the fixture, you could probably make almost any hammer and even a cheapo punch get the job done.

I had given up. Apex couldn鈥檛 accept my frame to do it themselves due to COVID, so as a last ditch effort, I bought their fixture. The way the fixture aligns the punch with the pin and provides some support to the back side of the frame where the pin is coming out gave me the confidence to really take some home-run swings with the hammer since the frame is protected. A few (very violent, swear-while-swinging) strikes with a regular (1lb?) hammer, the pin was out.

Registered
I swapped mine in May 2020. Initially, I tried a few hammers from small ones you hold in your fingers up to a small sledgehammer. I bent several punches along the way. Never got the pin more than part way out. My frame was starting to show stress on one side.

The Apex Disassembly Fixture is the key. With the fixture, you could probably make almost any hammer and even a cheapo punch get the job done.

I had given up. Apex couldn鈥檛 accept my frame to do it themselves due to COVID, so as a last ditch effort, I bought their fixture. The way the fixture aligns the punch with the pin and provides some support to the back side of the frame where the pin is coming out gave me the confidence to really take some home-run swings with the hammer since the frame is protected. A few (very violent, swear-while-swinging) strikes with a regular (1lb?) hammer, the pin was out.
We need videos of some of these pin removals馃槀

Registered
Videos usually show the highlights. In the case of this pin, you need the honesty of the 鈥渄irector鈥檚 cut鈥 with all the failures so people realize that for those with stubborn frames like me it will likely take more force than most have ever applied to a small object stuck in a piece of plastic.

Registered
I did both my 509s with the apex (a compact tactical and a full size). Getting that pin out was pretty stressful. It's too late now but I should have gotten the fixture instead of using the roll of duct tape that Scott had in his early videos. I was also able to do this with a $15 punch kit from harbor freight. Crappy tools for sure but the kit that I got had the correct diameter punch. Still the apex trigger upgrade was a pretty worthwhile improvement.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts