FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a high end piece of glass for my 17. I've always been a fan of the Elcans, particularly the 1.5-6 variant. Now with other very good choices out there such as the Kahles k16i, Steiner 1-5 etc., there is a fear that once I get something in this magnification range I will eventually want more magnification. So how many of you have bought a lower magnification scope for your 17 only to end up regretting it later on?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a high end piece of glass for my 17. I've always been a fan of the Elcans, particularly the 1.5-6 variant. Now with other very good choices out there such as the Kahles k16i, Steiner 1-5 etc., there is a fear that once I get something in this magnification range I will eventually want more magnification. So how many of you have bought a lower magnification scope for your 17 only to end up regretting it later on?
its happened more than a few times with some of the members around here. Check out the search function and you should be able to find a few cases. It sounds like you are leaning towards wanting more magnification to me. I am one who had a 3-9X and wanted more magnification and ended up with a MK6 3-18. I am much more satisfied with that magnification range. If possible I would recommend looking through a 1-6 and then a higher mag to see what you prefer.

Reactions: Big Tex and mityno1

·
Registered
583 Posts
Elcan has a few more options. The Specter TR is hitting the market and it's a three setting setup in 1-3-9x. There's also the Specter OZ 5-20 scope with the built-in 1x red dot. Here's a link to the Specter catalog.

http://www.elcansightingsystems.com/Main/pdf/ELCANsightingSystemsBrochure.pdf

I have a 1.5-6 and I'm very pleased with the product. I sighted it in new and it holds zero even after removal and replacement. The eye relief is forgiving considering its a scope, but it's more like an ACOG or large Aimpoint than an Eotech for both eyes open CQ use. Weight? None of the good products are light, and this is a durable product.

Does a civilian need any of these scopes? Well, most soldiers who use SCARs can reliably drop someone at 500M with BUIS whereas the rest of us mere mortals cannot. Some believe that the SCAR is good to 800+M with the right ammo and conditions. Given that the weak link (human) is the easiest to improve in this system, I'd argue that good optics and lots of practice are a good investment.

Manufacturers have taken note that there's a pretty sizable market for high-end shooting rigs, so I'd also check what else is out there.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I own the Kahles K16i, I have it on a Knights 14.5 upper (5.56) where it is most appropriate. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 sitting on my SCAR 17s upper, I'd skip the Elcan unless you're trying to build a "clone" and I personally think building "clones" for the sake of building a clone is cheesy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't say that I regretted buying my Elcan 1.5-6. It was a really nice optic but I did end up wanting more magnification and luckily was able to trade a guy on here for the nightforce 2.5-10. If I had better eyesight I probably would have kept the Elcan but since it's kind of deteriorated over the last couple years it's nice to have a little more magnification.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
There are a lot of great optics out there that mate with the 17 very well. I tend to opt to the assembled in the US scope companies, mainly Leupold, Nightforce, Trijicon, and US Optics. Elcans are also certainly in that group, That said Kahles, Steiner, S&B, Swarovrski and others i missed are excellent scopes. I understand why others choose to use them but for me it helps thin out my choices. Not that is really noticeable but because of the strong US dollar the US produced scopes can be a better value and then again maybe not...

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thanks for the trade Big Vick! I'm probably the only person here who traded back down to the Elcan, but what can I say. I just love em, they work perfect for my needs. I don't get to shoot much more than 2-300 yards because of my limited space. I switch optics around alot, but I have more scopes than guns. The Elcans are going to stay planted on the SCARS though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I love my SpecterDR 1.5-6x, but I do often wish I had more than 6x mag. I typically use the red dot on it instead of twisting the other way lighting up the entire reticle. I use the cheapest targets I can find - typically the big sheets that have the 6 small circle targets on them. I'm guessing each circle is ~8-10" diameter. With the SpecterDR at 6x, and the paper at 100yds, the red dot typically covers the entire circle I'm shooting at. Now by some act of heaven I typically manage to group everything well within the circle, but at the bench I'm literally just trying to put the red dot centered over the target circle. I can't see much of the circle around the red dot, if any at all. I also have to bring either a magnified rangefinder or some binoculars to see my shots. Unless the stars align and I punch one big hole I cannot see my shots at 100yds @ 6x mag.

Keep in mind this could very well just be my vision deteriorating. For me personally, I think the 1-4x would be pointless on this platform. ajindfw brought up a new Elcan with 9x mag - I think that sounds about perfect for this platform. (Thanks a lot ajindfw, I'm back on the forums for a week and hey look I'm considering buying more glass instead of a dirt bike.)

If you have some way of testing optics out, I'd do that. I don't know of anywhere that you can go slap different scopes on a 17 though. That kind've sucks about all this - if you want a handgun you probably have 10 places locally you can go try one out at.

Anyhow, I'm rambling. The 1.5-6x is a phenomenal scope in my amateur opinion, but I would be happier if the 6x was 9x.

Damn. $3,200 and ~45m away: http://swfa.com/Specter-TR-1-3-9-C11354.aspx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Elcan has a few more options. The Specter TR is hitting the market and it's a three setting setup in 1-3-9x. There's also the Specter OZ 5-20 scope with the built-in 1x red dot. Here's a link to the Specter catalog.

http://www.elcansightingsystems.com/Main/pdf/ELCANsightingSystemsBrochure.pdf

I have a 1.5-6 and I'm very pleased with the product. I sighted it in new and it holds zero even after removal and replacement. The eye relief is forgiving considering its a scope, but it's more like an ACOG or large Aimpoint than an Eotech for both eyes open CQ use. Weight? None of the good products are light, and this is a durable product.

Does a civilian need any of these scopes? Well, most soldiers who use SCARs can reliably drop someone at 500M with BUIS whereas the rest of us mere mortals cannot. Some believe that the SCAR is good to 800+M with the right ammo and conditions. Given that the weak link (human) is the easiest to improve in this system, I'd argue that good optics and lots of practice are a good investment.

Manufacturers have taken note that there's a pretty sizable market for high-end shooting rigs, so I'd also check what else is out there.
Absolutly love my 1.5-6 DR. Perfect for what I built the gun for, SHTF. Lots of great optics in that $$ and can be overwhelming. The Kahles K16i seems like a great choice and I with I could peak through one.

But, that Specter OZ looks gnarly. I could have waited for the TR but I heard it was like looking through a straw. Very very curious how the OZ compares and price point. (Almost scary, bet it's 3-4-5? K). Elcan does a great job on designing out of the box and making unique dependable optics.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Ok here is the low down.... There's no easy way around it..... You are going to want both a elcan and something else with magnification. :cool: :-D

·
Registered
397 Posts
NightForce NXS 2.5-10X either the 32mm or 42mm. I have a 32mm, but I bought it before the 42mm came out. You'll want the extra magnification of the NF if you shoot it a lot. And at 2.5X the NF is easily usable at less than 25 yards, I'd say 50 feet. It's no 1X scope but neither is the Elcan 1.5-6X.

You'll want at least 8-10X.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The SCAR 17 is a very capable rifle. Much more than what it was built for - a "battle rifle". Shoot it and you'll see. Mine consistently shoots MOA or better using FGGM. It depends, however, on your intended use. For me, I plan on doing some hunting and match shooting within 600 yards. For those purposes, the 2.5-10x range works well (going with a Vortex Viper PST FFP model). Seems like, judging from the posts here on the forum, that most folks end up with a Nightforce 2.5-10x or a Leupold Mark 6 3-18x if they want to reach out. Both are quality optics just out of my price range.

·
Registered
148 Posts
To the OP, I have two different scopes. Both are on opposite ends of the spectrum too. Currently, I have a Primary Arms 4-14 FFP scope. Works great at the range, holds zero on the Scar 17, and only cost roughly $300. I also have an Elcan Specter Dr 1x-4x. I bought this for more serious work. So far, I really like both of them, but the Elcan stays on the rifle in the safe for SHTF. The longer range scope with QD mounts, I keep in the backpack. If long range shooting is more important to you, I would opt to spend more money on the long range scope. For your CQ work use an Aimpint T1 or RMR at 45 degrees as backups?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I believe the type of scope/sight you get needs to be chosen based on the type of shooting you do most often. For example. I do most of my shooting with my 17S under 300 yards. Though I do expose my rifle to a lot of bumps and thumps roving through the Missouri Ozarks on foot. So I chose a 1x6x24 Millett which gives me plenty of magnification for the distances I shoot and the toughness I need for the terrain. It also has a lighted reticle for the low light shots at dawn or sunset.

On the other hand, if I were doing a lot of CQB drills I'd get a simple red dot (light weight and quick acquisition), and if I were shooting for real precision or at longer distances I would get something 10X or above (weight not a factor shooting from a bench, tripod or bipod).

The point being that you buy your tools for the job they will be used for. I.e. a 22 inch chainsaw is overkill for trimming shrubs in your yard.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I believe the type of scope/sight you get needs to be chosen based on the type of shooting you do most often. For example. I do most of my shooting with my 17S under 300 yards. Though I do expose my rifle to a lot of bumps and thumps roving through the Missouri Ozarks on foot. So I chose a 1x6x24 Millett which gives me plenty of magnification for the distances I shoot and the toughness I need for the terrain. It also has a lighted reticle for the low light shots at dawn or sunset.

On the other hand, if I were doing a lot of CQB drills I'd get a simple red dot (light weight and quick acquisition), and if I were shooting for real precision or at longer distances I would get something 10X or above (weight not a factor shooting from a bench, tripod or bipod).

The point being that you buy your tools for the job they will be used for. I.e. a 22 inch chainsaw is overkill for trimming shrubs in your yard.
Your logic is sound; I know quite a few people who keep multiple optics in their Pelican cases to fit the task at hand, but in my experience tasks tend to deviate unexpectedly and at the most inopportune times. The only advantage a 1-6x optic has over a 3-18x w/ RDS is a few ounces.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.