FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got here today,

first impressions.....
It's very small , seems well made. The QD mechanism is pretty good and adjustable. The controls are simple and straight forward. The screen is very small and if you are familiar with thermal it might be a bit disconcerting. After 1st seeing all of its limitations you start realizing it's usability! Once you get use to the screen it's actually quite usable.

The T10 as a both eyes open RDS... no... BUT it has a "kill box" I switched it between 4 different weapons and all of the sights POA fell inside this box with in 5-15yds. The m model clocks in at 30hrz and has an 8hr run time so it can be used as a limited sight (in fact I confirmed this earlier) .

The bad.... small screen & rez is limited. There is no brightness control, the kill box/ret is fixed, the warranty is 60days, it's not water proof (says do not submerge) but is sealed .

Conclusion.... it can use some refining BUT in my opinion it's worth the price as it stands.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So would you say that it is more for detection than acting as a sight?
yes, i would not really use it as a stand alone optic. I had good luck hitting hot water filled bottles at around 15-20ft with it earlier but there's no adj. it's not going to replace a good RDS as it is. I would say it's a detector that acts as a buis

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
[video=youtube;bbRNlWDjffIbbRNlWDjffI]http://youtu.be/bbRNlWDjffIbbRNlWDjffI [/video]
T10m Video

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a few people asking about if it can be used as a stand alone optic. Yes, it can but I wouldn't personally. That said I can't help but think if this was eotech size with at least 240 sensor this would be awesome

Reactions: BigBuckeyeGuy

·
Registered
522 Posts
Picked up one of these bad boys this weekend.

Some observations:

My sight has an adjustable reticle. The OP's sight (no adjustable reticle) probably has an older firmware. I'm not sure if it can be sent back to TPL to get a firmware upgrade or not, but I would think so.

The performance of this sight is pretty good, given its size and weight. It is definitely not in the same league as a full sized thermal sight with substantially better resolution. I wouldn't dream of using this as a standalone optic. The detection range of a human is limited to about 50 - 75m depending on ambient temperature, and you surely will not be able to ID the target. That said, if used in conjunction with another optic it definitely provides some advantages in terms of being able to "see" through brush, smoke/fog, etc.

The main thing that I wish the optic had that it does not is adjustable brightness for the screen.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
They will make a better product as parts get less expensive.

·
Registered
522 Posts
They will make a better product as parts get less expensive.
Yes, naturally. My understanding is that the limiting part in thermal sights is the germanium lens. It is a rare earth metal used in semiconductor and fiber optic doping applications. In 2013 China purchased a full quarter of the global supply for those purposes. Unless the electronics industry moves away from germanium, future germanium prices are likely to increase. So thermal sights will always be on the expensive side. You're unlikely to ever see a Barska brand thermal sight, for example.

The microbolometer and small computer parts will get better and better, though.

Still, the FLIR Lepton core used in this device is sufficient for my main purpose as a small handheld viewer for diagnosing electronic circuits. The fact that I can also mount it to a firearm is just sweet.

Reactions: SONYtec

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
I'm surprised that they didn't use a better resolution LCD screen. That would be a huge improvement.

Wonder what the resolution of the imager is capable of producing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm surprised that they didn't use a better resolution LCD screen. That would be a huge improvement.

Wonder what the resolution of the imager is capable of producing.
A larger screen, physically would be somewhat welcome - at the expense of weight and power. But the resolution is fine as is; the imager produces just 80x60. Judging by some quirks I've noticed, it appears that the data is over-sampled and interpolated to produce 160x120 data. The FLIR Lepton core that it uses is the same as is used in the $300 smartphone thermal add-ons that can be had now.

It is not an optic for long-range surveillance or anything like that, to be sure.. but if you have experience with other/better thermal imagers to know what you're looking at, it is quite the handy little item, I think. If you're learning to interpret thermal images the first time out with this thing, it might be a little tough.

Real world example from just this morning: I was able to spot a bunny in brush at 40 yards that I would not have been able to see with the naked eye due to its natural camouflage. Couldn't tell if it was a bunny or a squirrel until it came out of the brush a bit and I could get my eyes on it - but the heat signature was apparent. They should really take the 2x lens from the T10-S (? or was it N .. one of them) and put it on the T10-M. Problem with the S and N models is that they are only 9 Hz refresh (for export reasons).

'One of these days' I intend to get a proper thermal scope. There are some pretty nice 640x480 imagers with 800x600 screens and a lot of really nice firmware features in the $5000 range.. but for that kind of bread, I keep holding off to let the technology continue to mature and older models hit the used/surplus market. I had been toying with the idea of getting a FLIR Lepton based unit for my phone and circuit usage already, but was planning on letting that mature a bit too... maybe wait for version 2.. but when I saw this $700 rail mount unit I had to bite and I'm glad I did. Picked up the last one B&H had in stock.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
320x240 thermal resolution is quite usable. You can get a Thor 320 running at 60hz for around $3k. Personally I would wait a few years before buying thermal. They are advancing very fast.

·
Registered
522 Posts
320x240 thermal resolution is quite usable. You can get a Thor 320 running at 60hz for around $3k. Personally I would wait a few years before buying thermal. They are advancing very fast.
Yeah, the ATN Thor looks pretty nice. Armasight makes some comparable units as well. The big thing with thermal seems mostly centered around firmware features to process the video feed. To that end, I really like the IR Hunter series (irhunter.com). Specifically, I like that they provide real-time image dithering to provide a crisper image (they call it digital focus), and they have a mode which restricts the dynamic range to a smaller area around the reticle which is nice because it provides for better contrast.

But yeah, I agree that waiting on thermal is prudent at this point.. truthfully, I probably will wait several years for a "fusion" system hitting the commercial market.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts