FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name is Eric, I am from Denver, Colorado. Total newbie...I have never owned my own firearm, I have never even fired a handgun either! It has honestly been several years since I fired a shotgun or rifle. I have recently gotten more interested in gun ownership and owning my first firearm, and I think I wanted to start with a striker fired handgun, and after much research I am leaning towards an FNS...hence why I am on this forum. But I think in the next couple weeks, I am going to head out to the range and rent some things and see what I want to do! I would love to hear everyone's advice and just become a part of the community! Thanks for welcoming me!

Eric

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Welcome! Ur getting a good start by checking out several guns not only for fit/comfort but also pertaining to recoil, need to decide what exactly u want a gun for since some are almost imp to conceal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Yeah I have just been looking around at what I like, and I am at the point now I just need to go put them in my hand and shoot some rounds to make a decision. I am not too worried about conceal factor, as I will likely not carry. I honestly just plan on having fun at the range and having a little something for home defense.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

The FNS is a fine pistol, but it never hurts to take a few others for a test drive. Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Congrats on looking forward to handgun ownership. The FNS is a fine pistol. You have a good plan is looks like (Hit the range and rent/try everything you think you are interested in....) You may find your first choice to be the "right one" or maybe it's the model that was 3,4,5,6,7th etc on your list. I have found that no matter how much I "like" the looks of a firearm if it doesn't fit my hands/fit my shooting style then I end up either not purchasing it or if I did purchase.. it ends up getting sold/traded for something that does!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
:welcomesigntb3: to the Forum, taking a few choices for a test drive at the range is a good idea. Good luck with your pursuit.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Welcome. I do not know if you live in Denver proper. If you do, please know that Denver does not believe you should have many types of firearms. As your interests grow, you could run afoul of the government there and the radical cops that love enforcing those crummy laws.
Just be aware, please. As a gun owner, you are now part of the RADICAL fringe in Denver's eyes.
Good luck, good shooting and stay safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome. I do not know if you live in Denver proper. If you do, please know that Denver does not believe you should have many types of firearms. As your interests grow, you could run afoul of the government there and the radical cops that love enforcing those crummy laws.
Just be aware, please. As a gun owner, you are now part of the RADICAL fringe in Denver's eyes.
Good luck, good shooting and stay safe.

Fortunately I do not live in Denver county, so the laws aren't as strict as they could be. But I am sure I will probably learn a lot more upon completing my first purchase and taking a class or two. Thank you for the welcomes everybody!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome! I echo some of the earlier comments . . . Try to shoot as many different pistols as you can. What feels good in the gun shop may not translate into good shooting on the range. In my case, my first striker-fired pistol was the Smith & Wesson M&P 9. It fit my hand fairly well, but once I got to the range I found that I could shoot my son's blocky Glock much better. I bought an FNS-9 last fall. It feels great in the hand with the large backstrap. Yet, I found that I shoot it much better with the small flat backstrap.

Good luck on your pistol search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear I am on the right track from the sound of it! I will definitely check back and let everyone know what I decide to go with!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I feel I should add my thoughts. Although I am always excited to see new interest in firearms, I'd like to make a suggestion: Buy a pistol that has an external safety. The trend these days is striker fired, no safety. While many who CC will argue that its a hindrance, the description you gave of your intended use and experience doesn't sound like you will be in a speed draw contest with Bill Hickhock. Your prior experience is with long guns that utilize a safety. I would continue that path with your first handgun. Its possible you could purchase a Glock as your first and never have an incident, but there have been experienced shooters and even LEOs who've had negligent discharges with those types of platforms. Not trying to scare you away from them, but as a noob you should probably start your sure to continue journey with a more traditional design. The FNS is available with or without an external safety. If you choose it with a safety and gain proficiency through training, you could always leave the safety off all the time at a later time if you feel that it might be too complicated to operate in a high stress situation. A pistol with a safety will allow you to develop good trigger discipline. Its imperative to have this skill mastered when dealing with trigger safety only guns. Again, not trying to demonize these types of pistols, but feel this needed mentioning as you are completely new to handguns.

OK, that was my PSA. Now, you are doing things right it seems. You are absolutely correct in wanting to get your hands on some pistols. What feels great in my hand (the fns is made for me), may not in yours. You will know when you take a perch on a gun that is for you...you just will. If it doesn't feel good, you won't shoot it well.

Lastly, good luck, have fun, train and be safe!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel I should add my thoughts. Although I am always excited to see new interest in firearms, I'd like to make a suggestion: Buy a pistol that has an external safety. The trend these days is striker fired, no safety. While many who CC will argue that its a hindrance, the description you gave of your intended use and experience doesn't sound like you will be in a speed draw contest with Bill Hickhock. Your prior experience is with long guns that utilize a safety. I would continue that path with your first handgun. Its possible you could purchase a Glock as your first and never have an incident, but there have been experienced shooters and even LEOs who've had negligent discharges with those types of platforms. Not trying to scare you away from them, but as a noob you should probably start your sure to continue journey with a more traditional design. The FNS is available with or without an external safety. If you choose it with a safety and gain proficiency through training, you could always leave the safety off all the time at a later time if you feel that it might be too complicated to operate in a high stress situation. A pistol with a safety will allow you to develop good trigger discipline. Its imperative to have this skill mastered when dealing with trigger safety only guns. Again, not trying to demonize these types of pistols, but feel this needed mentioning as you are completely new to handguns.

OK, that was my PSA. Now, you are doing things right it seems. You are absolutely correct in wanting to get your hands on some pistols. What feels great in my hand (the fns is made for me), may not in yours. You will know when you take a perch on a gun that is for you...you just will. If it doesn't feel good, you won't shoot it well.

Lastly, good luck, have fun, train and be safe!

I am glad to hear this. I really like the safety the FNS comes with. I was no doubt going to get this handgun with a safety. I didn't really care that some people think it's a hindrance. The safer the better I thought. And if I the first gun I buy comes with a safety, it will probably feel strange to own a gun without a safety!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Welcome and good luck on your handgun search!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts