FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about selling of a collectable for another. I have an original old Colt army 1861 cap and ball revolver. All matching serial #’s. Last value was very nice. However I’ve always wanted a Thompson. So my question to you the panel is what will be worth more in coming years? Which would be more collectable? Which would you rather have in the long term? Do you think there will be a roof on the c3 weapons or will they just continue to go up? Do you think there will be time when the man outlaws them all together?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I can't answer to the value long term. But, I have had to sell guns before in order to buy another. I haven't regretted any decisions. If that is what you want, and you are sure, go for it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
C3 Thompson will only grow in value- have you seen the cost of C3 stuff lately?

While the Colt is a very cool item, there is probably a much smaller niche of collectors for these. The market for for the Thompson, as well as other C3 items, is much larger.

Having said that, the Thompson would be the route for me. However, YOU have to ask yourself this question, "Which one, when looking, holding, etc., would make ME feel better"?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
septo said:
How long have you had the Colt?
I think its been the family for pertty near 40-50yrs. Past that I can not confirm. I am under the assumption my grandfather had it since after the war. Sadly, I never asked him about the history of it. So I know for fact I am the third generation to have it. But I really want a Thompson.

·
Registered
156 Posts
CHICAGO TYPEWRITER said:
Do you think there will be a roof on the c3 weapons or will they just continue to go up? Do you think there will be time when the man outlaws them all together?
-All other things being equal, Class 3, select-fire, firearms will continue to go up in value until our elected officials decide to make them non-transferable. I am not suggesting that this is going to happen tomorrow. However, if the federal government decided to use the CA approach, people who would own them would continue to own them but they could not be transferred to another individual. That would drastically lower their value on the legal market.

Both markets (antique firearms and Class 3) are niche markets. In the US, there are much fewer restrictions on antique firearms and that means it is easier to get your money in or out of them. -With Class 3 stuff, the process is a waiting game while ATF and your local Chief LEO process your application. You can easily run into a Chief LEO who is not pro-gun and he may decline to approve a transfer to an individual simply because he can. He does not need cause to deny a transfer. Approvals are granted at the discretion of the Chief LEO. Lately, some people have been forming trusts or corporate entities to get around the requirement of getting a Chief LEO to sign off on the transfer. -If you don't have to sell the 1860 Army revolver, I'd recommend holding onto it.

Aside from that, the things you have to keep in mind about Class 3 guns is that the entrance fee is relatively high (thousands of dollars to purchase a transferable one) and, if you have one, it is an expensive hog to feed. -Shooting 500 or 1,000 rounds through a Thompson during a single trip to the range is fairly easy and unless you are reloading your own ammo, that's roughly between $150-$300 right there. It's not a back-breaker, but the dollars add up rapidly. Plus, you will need to buy or stockpile replacement parts since you can quickly achieve a high round count and wear out a Class 3 firearm.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it has been in your family that long, I have to vote NO SALE. The value of the Colt is greater than what you could sell it for,IMHO. Save your money for the Thompson or sell guns that don't have sentimental/family value. IMHO

·
Registered
268 Posts
You going to sell it? Me, I'd rather have the Colt. If it's an original thompson, I'm sure the value will go up, if not, I'd keep the Colt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts