FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -

I'm looking for a nice home defense and general all purpose 12 ga. I've been over the 590 and 870.

I've heard rumors that 870s come from parts in China, and that the 590 bolt will unlock prematurely during firing. That also being said, I could get an FN TPS for a little bit more than buying either of the previously mentioned materials.

So here are some questions:

• The #17705 has adjustable choke, yes? Does it come with the improved and cylinder choke in the box?

What sort of butt-pad can I place on that stock. I reckon it doesn't feel too good unmodified.

The TPS has standard AR-15 sights, right? So could I take a tritium AR-15 front post and screw it in? Voila, night sights?

How does the TPS do with rifle slugs? Accuracy? What choke are we looking at?

Does the TPS support 2'3/4 as well as 3"? I'm a real noob at shotguns, sorry.

Where is the bolt release? Is it on the pistol grip in the natural thumb position for a right-handed person? I see pictures of a catch there, and can only assume this is it.

Thanks for the help!

I love my FNP-45 USG variant, so I'm tempted to give FN another try. Gotta love US made weaponry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After a decided lack of response I tried digging around the best I could to answer my questions, so for posterity sake I will post this.

* The #17705 has adjustable choke, yes? Does it come with the improved and cylinder choke in the box?

Yes it does come with two choke sets, improved and modified chokes in box

* What sort of butt-pad can I place on that stock. I reckon it doesn't feel too good unmodified.

I've decided on using a Mesa Tactical Enidine recoil engine. It fits the bill as a standard AR-sized recoil tube and dampens felt recoil. This is the same style of recoil-dampening as a Knoxx stock, but retains the functionality (and parts) of the four position stock on the TPS.

* The TPS has standard AR-15 sights, right? So could I take a tritium AR-15 front post and screw it in? Voila, night sights?

Waiting on a call from Bobby Hills at FNH USA to determine this. From CDNN, I was told the front sight post was fixed. I doubt this.

* How does the TPS do with rifle slugs? Accuracy? What choke are we looking at?

I've only found reports of poor accuracy from the back-bored models, and have no idea what accuracy with the replaceable choke set will actually represent. Waiting on FNH calls again.

* Does the TPS support 2'3/4 as well as 3"? I'm a real noob at shotguns, sorry.

Yes. Both kinds are supported.

* Where is the bolt release? Is it on the pistol grip in the natural thumb position for a right-handed person? I see pictures of a catch there, and can only assume this is it.

As this shotgun is a clone of the 1300, I'm still thinking it is right near the thumb position of a right-handed grip. Can anyone confirm?

I guess there is no love for this shotgun, eh?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
* The TPS has standard AR-15 sights, right? So could I take a tritium AR-15 front post and screw it in? Voila, night sights?

The TPS has both standard AR-15 front and rear sights. You can replace front sight post and rear apertures. Bob at FN was wrong about the rear sights, and CDNN was wrong about both fixtures.

* Where is the bolt release? Is it on the pistol grip in the natural thumb position for a right-handed person? I see pictures of a catch there, and can only assume this is it.

Yup, left side of the weapon, at the high thumb position.

Also, of note: The weapon has a commercial-style buffer tube and stock.

The more you know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI It's possible to put a Knoxx SpecOps stock on a TPS but only if you either significantly modify the triggerguard or buy a Winchester 1300 trigger group/assembly (~$35 - $50 on gunbroker).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts