FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTF? Since when is the Trademark office responsible for administering social engineering?

This sounds like a 1st amendment lawsuit to me. If the government can decide to take stuff from you, just because someone finds it offensive, wow, just wow.

Patent office cancels Redskins trademarks - Jun. 18, 2014

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I had heard rumblings of this happening sometime ago, I guess America's Native Indians felt so offended their lobbying effort was successful. Hopefully the USPTO doesn't use this as a precedence in the future.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hmmm. That's a new low for the US government.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sorry Art, can't help you here. This simply boggles the mind.

I can't (won't) speak to the offensiveness issue, but I fail to see how this can legally happen.

Reactions: Macprowler

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I bet my life savings that there is an email and paper trail from this that would lead to the Black House.

Unfortunately, they will have hard drive issues and lose all the emails if there is ever a Congressional inquiry.

·
Vendor
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am not trying to weigh in on the offensiveness issue - I don't know if it is or it isn't, and I don't really care ..... but the notion that the PTO is deciding based on a small group deciding they are offended is beyond bizarre. What's next? Indians? I'm a Northerer, and I am offended by the term Yankees - take it away. Anyone in Long Island does not like to be called an 'Islander', gone. Midgets don't like the name 'Giants', atheists don't like 'Saints', Oilers, Cowboys, Kanucks, Catholics are offended by Cardinals,

The government derives its power from the consent of the governed. No one granted the US PTO the right to decide what is offensive.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't have a dog in the fight, other than it's silly to 'outlaw' words, but like this response:

Here is an email sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published concerning a name change for the Washington Redskins.

Dear Mr. Page...
I always love your articles. and I generally agree with them. But I would suggest the following in order to be politically correct:

I agree with our Native American population . I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay.

We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive . Gone. It's offensive to us
white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population . Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any
reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New
Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged . We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the
Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children . The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children .

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic . Wrong message to our children .

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our children .

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become
involved with this issue, as they should . Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . ..

As a die hard Oregon State fan, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers . "

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That can't be legal.

I noticed people getting along a lot better than they had been, regardless of race or gender or any of those superficial things. Then suddenly it was like the media and other agitators ramped up the rhetoric. A lot. almost as if there was something to gain from playing people out against each other based on their superficial differences.

What is that phrase? United we stand, divided we fall.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That can't be legal.

I noticed people getting along a lot better than they had been, regardless of race or gender or any of those superficial things. Then suddenly it was like the media and other agitators ramped up the rhetoric. A lot. almost as if there was something to gain from playing people out against each other based on their superficial differences.

What is that phrase? United we stand, divided we fall.
It doesn't seem the administration cares about what is "legal", but rather take the approach they'll go ahead and do what they want, and force the citizens to fight them in court. Remind me again how this ISN'T the federal government being adversarial? Something about by the people and for the people comes to mind...

·
Registered
735 Posts
cap10 - Thanks. That pretty much sums it up...

Reactions: cap10

·
Registered
226 Posts
As a die hard Oregon State fan, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers . "
Actually, they already changed the name. They were the 'Lady Beavers' and then someone realized that was redundant.

Regardless of whether 'Redskins' is offensive, the trademark office is not the moral police and needs to F off, and leave it to the idiots who supposedly run this country: congress. I have no faith in them to make the right decision, but they are the ones responsible for doing so, assuming the owner has chosen not to change it, and we the people feel the need to infringe upon a private business owners rights to give ourselves a warm fuzzy pat on the back.

·
Registered
641 Posts
As a person of direct Irish decent shouldn't I feel offended by this?

Fighting-Irish-Logo.jpg CelticsLogo_History.gif

Well, I don't. I'm proud to have my heritage honored enough to have a sports team mascot inspired by it.

I also feel that maybe 5% of actual native Americans are likely offended by the Redskins. That small sampling of offended individuals are being heralded by the Political Correctness hippies that want you to mispronounce "harass" and have your school age child scholastically focus on one race for one month a year.

These people get off on feeling offended.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Do you know how many players are Irish??? Re, the Celtics anyway...

As a person of direct Irish decent shouldn't I feel offended by this?

View attachment 28494 View attachment 28495

Well, I don't. I'm proud to have my heritage honored enough to have a sports team mascot inspired by it.

I also feel that maybe 5% of actual native Americans are likely offended by the Redskins. That small sampling of offended individuals are being heralded by the Political Correctness hippies that want you to mispronounce "harass" and have your school age child scholastically focus on one race for one month a year.

These people get off on feeling offended.

·
Vendor
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could not agree more. Any representative that we elect and we pay has only a certain number of days they can work on getting legislation enacted.

Every day that they waste on useless stuff is a squandering of OUR resource. It upsets me that these jerks go off working useless stuff like assault rifle bans, which are a total waste of our representative's days in the office.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts