FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today my very first gun was delivered, I went and picked it up...brought it home and I open it up before I went to work because my aunt wanted to see it and she picks up the empty magazine from the box and goes to bring it over the top of the box case and drops the empty magazine from about 1 foot above the gun, and i noticed right away the finish had been chipped/scratched and now has a jagged layer....I went to work very sad today.

I wanted to see if any of you have any ideas to minimize this chip/scratch...is sanding down the little jagged edge and finding the most similar paint an option? Or am I an idiot

I am a brand new gun owner, I’ve shot a decent variety of guns that my family owns, and saved up for a while for a scar 17s and I’m super excited to own this now, like I said please give any suggestions, or let me know if I’m being too worried about it and it’s not a big deal! Thanks.
Wood Tool Office equipment Metal Font
Grille Hood Automotive tire Electronic instrument Bumper

·
Registered
484 Posts
Welcome! That's a great first buy! Nice job saving up to get it. I'd probably be bummed about the ding too. It's like the first chip or scratch on a new car. It's bound to happen, but we do like to prolong it as long as possible. I wouldn't mess with it and end up making it worse. Just think of it as a kiss from auntie. It'll be a good memory 10 years from now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! That's a great first buy! Nice job saving up to get it. I'd probably be bummed about the ding too. It's like the first chip or scratch on a new car. It's bound to happen, but we do like to prolong it as long as possible. I wouldn't mess with it and end up making it worse. Just think of it as a kiss from auntie. It'll be a good memory 10 years from now.
Haha thanks for the reply, and you are right. I was just super sad to see this happen right away but I didn’t get mad at her because **** happens, it’s not the end of the world. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate yall

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Not a big deal, but being a bit OCD myself, here is what I'd do...

Load one round into the magazine, insert magazine into brand new SCAR, chamber round, point SCAR at auntie, pull trigger.

Won't do much to fix the slight ding, but she won't phuqing do it again, will she?

Just joking... Rub a bit of lube on it, during the cleaning process... clean the SCAR prior to first shooting it... wipe the lube off and go on. You won't notice it after you start using, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Great colour choice, by the way.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Thank your Aunt for helping break-in your new 17s. The receiver is anodized and trying to find an exact match FDE is next to impossible. Buy your Aunt a nice dinner and enjoy your new SCAR, oh and get over the OCD it is a mental problem as such it is a weakness...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new SCAR 17. I'm OCD too, but that little ole thing's nothing. Consider it character. Start thinking if it had fallen onto pavement/gravel, ha. That'll help you getting over that little spec. Oh, and some wouldn't even mind if their's had fallen on the gravel road. At any rate, enjoy one of the baddest go to war rifles out there . . . and it's yours! (y):cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it helps, I'm in the same boat, stranger, with the only exception being my mark was my fault.

Grabbed a mag with my support (bad) hand, as one does, not realizing my hand had fatigued (hyperextension years ago, lost a bunch of strength). Picked up the mag (or so I thought), and my hand just let go. And here we are. Sticks out like crazy on black one too.

As someone also battling OCD, I get where you're coming from. I bought Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to "fix" it, but I won't let myself do it. The thought of trying to cover it up and making it worse would only drive my OCD more out of control.

So, I'm going to let it go. Hopefully, you figure out what works for you.

A picture for camaraderie's sake.
Automotive tire Wood Rim Tread Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
Congrats on the 17S. Enjoy the hell out of it.

First ding always sucks, after that you mostly shrug.

Next time you're cleaning guns, rub some carbon on there to camouflage it. FDE SCARs look best covered with smudgy fingerprints anyways.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
If he can match the color all he needs is a Qtip or a wooden toothpick and its easily fixed I wouldn't do any sanding on it just wipe it with alcohol and dab it
💯 if he finds the pen won’t even need the qtip. When I was thinking of getting my lights and grips done in matching fde I took my fde scar each to see if they can get a paint match. They did and I tossed the paint out not wanting to bother doing it lol. I didn’t want to take the rifle in and have a liberal throw a hissy fit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congratulations!
Stinks it happened so quickly but it’s bound to happen with use sooner or later. Enjoy it.
Not a big deal, but being a bit OCD myself, here is what I'd do...

Load one round into the magazine, insert magazine into brand new SCAR, chamber round, point SCAR at auntie, pull trigger.

Won't do much to fix the slight ding, but she won't phuqing do it again, will she?

Just joking... Rub a bit of lube on it, during the cleaning process... clean the SCAR prior to first shooting it... wipe the lube off and go on. You won't notice it after you start using, and thoroughly enjoying it.

Great colour choice, by the way.

Cheers
Sleeve Wood Guitar accessory Musical instrument Metal

Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it helps, I'm in the same boat, stranger, with the only exception being my mark was my fault.

Grabbed a mag with my support (bad) hand, as one does, not realizing my hand had fatigued (hyperextension years ago, lost a bunch of strength). Picked up the mag (or so I thought), and my hand just let go. And here we are. Sticks out like crazy on black one too.

As someone also battling OCD, I get where you're coming from. I bought Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black to "fix" it, but I won't let myself do it. The thought of trying to cover it up and making it worse would only drive my OCD more out of control.

So, I'm going to let it go. Hopefully, you figure out what works for you.

A picture for camaraderie's sake.
View attachment 151763
Damn it looks like we got the same ding, I’m just gonna leave it for a while and decide down the road if I want to try to dab paint on it or not! I think black would be easier to cover just because it might just be a slight tone off but would never be noticed unless you really paid attention to it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts