FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
:D Thats great news.I've been waiting and finally they have arrived.Unfortunately,because of Christmas,I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can buy one :evil:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I still don't regret my decision to buy the regular model in black for $1499, even though I got it about 1 months ago. Who knows what a good price on this model will end up being. And, being left eye dominate and right handed, I like the height of my eotech...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I missed the announcement of the tri-rail by about 2 weeks. Kind of pisses me off. I figured it would be a couple more years until we saw it. It is really a good thing to see FN expanding its product line here. They should be a couple hundred dollars less than the regular PS90 though since they don't have the wonderful Ring Sight :x

With the ACOG on the MSW mount I'm not really losing anything as far as sight height. The regular PS90 will allow you to mount bigger side rails if that matters. It also gives you a set of rudimentary backup irons. The tri-rail should have a tiny set of irons built into the rail, but I think those are just about useless.

I may get a tri-rail too, in black :twisted: I have an Eotech 552 that will look good on one. I think with the AA battery Eotech that you might have to shim the little picatinny rails out a bit for them to be usable.

I was thinking too that with a small sight on the top rail you might have room to mount one of those new Lasermax Uni-Max lasers up front:

http://www.lasermax.com/product.php?id=104

This would get you a laser down fairly low and in line with the barrel. You'd need one for a backup sight anyway. At least that is what you can tell your wife :D

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
I know the PS90 TR is out because a local dealer offerend me a black one for $1600. $100 more than the standard PS90 (minus the ring sight). :roll:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too assumed it would be months before it was out.

I'm not worried - I like mine. And, I kinda looked at the phot. I think an eotech on that MIGHT be about 1/2" lower at the most, if that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think you are right Ship. I think a sight mounted on the tri-rail PS90 would only be about 1/2 inch lower than than if it were mounted on a regular PS90 with an aftermarket rail.

From pictures I've seen and my airsoft P90TR the Eotech 552 looks like it was made to go on the tri-rail. If my airsoft P90TR is an accurate copy the Eotechs still sit a little higher than they should.

What FN or someone (Therm? :D ) should do is ditch the sling slot no one seems to use and get the Picatinny rail down lower still.

The P90 needs a good modular revamping to the receiver and accurizing "O" rings or something like that for the barrel.

·
Registered
980 Posts
SunsetSam said:
The P90 needs a good modular revamping to the receiver and accurizing "O" rings or something like that for the barrel.
I agree, it seems to me the top rail on the tri-rail should be lower. But as for accurizing, I don't think the PS90 or P90 needs it. I get 1/2 inch groups @ 100 yards. And other people with good optics have reported similar results. Frankly, I'm amazed at the accuracy of these things. I was quite skeptical when I first saw the floating barrel, but it doesn't seem to effect accuracy.
There may be some truth to the wear problem though. A family member has a PS90 that after many thousands of rounds developed a mysterious bulge in the bore, in the area where the barrel exits the front of the receiver. Strangely, the bulge didn't effect accuracy either, but we sent it back to FN anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is good to hear about the accuracy PP. My only time out shooting was with the standard Ring Sight. From a rest my average 5 shot group was about 5 inches at 50 yards with a best of 3 inches. I really didn't like the standard Ring Sight that day. The targets were dimly lit and there was tall grass out in front. I don't know if you can make things out in my avatar, but that is the "range" I was at. We had 8" targets tacked to a stump about the height of the base of that chair being blown up. I wasn't thrilled with the groups, but since the rifle and I were just getting aquainted I didn't worry about it much.

I haven't read a lot of people discussing the rifle's accuracy. I remember Therm talking about "O" ringing the barrel before he formed his own site. The way the rifle is designed and with its intended purpose you wouldn't think it would be tack driver.

I should be out on a range this weekend. Now that I have a 2x20 Compact ACOG mounted I have no excuse :wink:

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've only shot at 50 yards out so far, but I got 1/2" groups or slightly less on sandbags w/ my EOtech while sighting it in on my 1st trip to the range last month. I'm satisfied.

Ehen at a standing position just holding it, obviously the groups open up - but they would do the same if shooting an AR or any other gun in a non supported position.

But on a rest, that's good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If I get 2 inch groups at 100 yards I'll be happy. That'd be better than my Mini-14 did.

That day I shot the rifle I couldn't just hold the rifle on target. I had to raise the sight, find the target, then bring the sight down to shoot. I did this for every shot. Not very condusive to accuracy.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was hoping to shoot 100 rounds out of mine tomorrow morning, but I think its gonna rain :( :(

I love my 1 MOA dot on my EOTECH. Shooting at 50 yards w/ it was easy.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Update:

first - I wanted the sling thing - then I said the hell with it. :)

I believe that I will achive the LOWEST possible sight to bore.
Custom flip up front and rear sights are coming as well.
I will also adapt the new mini aimpoint on a quick
release adaptor.

Now that I have more time - progress will be fast.
Stay tuned to Project X.

-TH

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hehe. The sling slot on the receiver baffles me. I've looked for a sling that uses it and I couldn't find one.

What are you doing Therm! Don't you know the receiver will explode into a million shards of razer sharp shrapnel due to internal casting stresses if you even get a milling cutter close to it! :D

I really like that new Aimpoint Micro. I'd like to hope a custom mount could be made to get it down low on a standard receiver. I'd also like to see custom mounts for the Docter/Jpoint sights. The msw mount I got for the Compact ACOG works well. It mimics the M16 carry handle channel. It could also be used to mount other sights like the full sized Aimpoints that have a M16 mount adapter available.

Where is a good place to get various length Picatinny rails? I may experiment with custom mounts.

I got to the range yesterday with the 2x20 Compact ACOG mounted. I shot 200 rounds of SS195LF. Resting the rifle with a sandbag just below the trigger guard my average 50 yard 5 shot group size was about 2 inches measured center to center with no called flyers. Besides me, I'd say the long, heavy trigger is the biggest detriment to accuracy now.

Promoted Pawn, do you have any tips on how to increase accuracy?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SunsetSam said:
Where is a good place to get various length Picatinny rails? I may experiment with custom mounts.
Ergo Grip sells all sorts of various lengths - metal and plastic.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
SunsetSam said:
Hehe. The sling slot on the receiver baffles me. I've looked for a sling that uses it and I couldn't find one.

What are you doing Therm! Don't you know the receiver will explode into a million shards of razer sharp shrapnel due to internal casting stresses if you even get a milling cutter close to it! :D
Yeah - you wont see those types of pictures on the "other" forum.
-TH

·
Registered
181 Posts
I saw a black tri-rail at Barrows Automotive in Butler, Georgia today. They were asking $1599 for it and said they had two.

The receiver looked like the same kind of painted casting as the regular PS90. The small accessory rails are plastic and are bolted to bosses on the receiver. I'm pretty sure the rails will have to be shimmed out to be useable with an AA battery Eotech mounted.

There was no backup sight. I thought there might be some sort of sight on top of the Picatinny rail like on my airsoft P90TR, but there wasn't.

The receiver had some sawtooth like marks on it, like the guy with the deburring tool had the tool skip on it a bit. Shame on you FN for calling that acceptable. It didn't hurt fit, form, or function, but had I bought the rifle sight unseen I'd be kind of pissed. I figured the tri-rail cost the same as the regular sighted PS90 because the receiver had more machining operations done on it. I was wrong. The PS90TR casting looks to be the same quality (not great) as the regular receiver casting. I still think the TR should be a couple of hundred dollars less than the regular PS90.

Overall I like the looks of the tri-rail. If you wanted to mount an Eotech I'd say this one is the one to get as it puts the sight down low. I've seen pictures of the tri-rail with the Eotech mounted on it and it looks great that way.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thermallator said:
Update:

first - I wanted the sling thing - then I said the hell with it. :)

I believe that I will achive the LOWEST possible sight to bore.
Custom flip up front and rear sights are coming as well.
I will also adapt the new mini aimpoint on a quick
release adaptor.

Now that I have more time - progress will be fast.
Stay tuned to Project X.

-TH

I was just wondering In the third picture what is the black weapon in the backgroud?

Thanks
Bob

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
I was just wondering In the third picture what is the black weapon in the backgroud?

Thanks
Bob
That is another project - not finished .. an HK USC .45 that I'm converting to HK UMP. So far I just did the dye job, milled the slots and chopped of the ugly back. Now I need to get the folding stock and the UMP lower.

I know where to get them - it's just that $700 total cost is not in my budget right now - all efforts are aimed at the PS90 - so the UMP project has to sit untill funds are expropriated.

-TH

[/quote]

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thermallator said:
That is another project - not finished .. an HK USC .45 that I'm converting to HK UMP. So far I just did the dye job, milled the slots and chopped of the ugly back. Now I need to get the folding stock and the UMP lower.

I know where to get them - it's just that $700 total cost is not in my budget right now - all efforts are aimed at the PS90 - so the UMP project has to sit untill funds are expropriated.

-TH
Wow, I wish I was as handy with the tools as U are. I am impressed

1 - 20 of 30 Posts