FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Ike taking aim at Houston, I figured I would check on my supplies. I checked my truck emergency backpack. Then I checked the indoor supplies. I have a case of MRE's and I pulled one out "Pork Ribs, imitation"

I think they may want to retire this one and try something else. :evil:

I have had MRE's before, but this one needs to go. The pears were alright.

Yes, when you are really hungry, one of those is like good meal, but... YUCK!

The guys in WWII must have really had a tough time.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Chili and Macaroni isn't too bad, and the Beef Stew is alright. But taste is a personal thing.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Madhouse said:
So you're in Houston?
Katy actually, South Mason rd.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ShipWreck said:
Where do U buy your MRE's, TA?
I don't remember where I got these, it was from the internet. They sold the Mountain stuff too. I'll try to remember... :oops:

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Just remember that MRE's don't last forever. Storage temperature is a big factor in how long they last.

http://www.baproducts.com/mreinfo.htm

Keeping it in your truck will expose an MRE to very hot temperatures reducing the lifespan.

Anyone who has come across an expired MRE will know it. Usually the smell hits you right as you open the pouch.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The intelligent thing to do is look for MREs where the main meal doesn't contain meat or meat substitute. The one I had was Pasta & Veggies, and it was pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
B52U said:
Just remember that MRE's don't last forever. Storage temperature is a big factor in how long they last.

http://www.baproducts.com/mreinfo.htm

Keeping it in your truck will expose an MRE to very hot temperatures reducing the lifespan.

Anyone who has come across an expired MRE will know it. Usually the smell hits you right as you open the pouch.
I don't keep MRE'e in the truck. Just energy bars. The MRE's are indoor supplies. And these expire in 2011.

My indoor supplies are canned, dry, and MRE's.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Yummmy!!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If you keep eating those MRE's TA, you need to take stock in Ducolox. LOL

We used to use the the MRE chicken-a-la-king as moulage to simulate dysentery for mass casualty classes. That about sums up my opinion on MRE's. Had to eat these damn things for 4 months straight without a real meal. The have an MRE cookbook that shows you how to make other things out of that comes in the MRE's. I think the MRE assault rat's were the best.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Pork Rib = bleh

Spaghetti (the new ones), Chili Mac, Jambalaya, Spicy Penne Pasta, and Chicken with Noodles are the best ones. :?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Call me crazy, but I really liked the hamburger patty one with the 2 giant bread-crackers for a bun and BBQ sauce. The newer menu kicks the crap out of the old dark brown offerings. Only Spaghetti was good in those IMO, and omelette with ham tasted like a piece of colored styrofoam. Although it seems like the old ones gave you a better chance at getting a pack of M&M's. In Iraq I printed an index card I found on the web that displayed the contents of each meal by lot number so I could tell by the MRE case if it contained my favorite meals or not, which we then hoarded for our squad's use. I was also a big fan of any meal that came with the milkshake. Those were pretty good by MRE standards.

·
Registered
475 Posts
i remember trying one of my mre's, it was manicotti i believe thought it was pretty good, came with wheat bread, peanut butter, pears, and a ranger bar, think it was made by sure-pak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts