FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took my FNP40 to the range and had a blast. When I got home to clean it I came across a problem, a severe one at that. I broke down my gun and started to clean the slide components. Then I made my way to the frame. The right side sear (I think it's the SA one) is fully up. the hammer can only rest between the decocked position and the single action position. There is absolutely no trigger response. I cannot reassemble my firearm due to the sear being fully up.

My questions is: Has anyone experienced this issue?

Who should I contact to get this fixed?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed it. The decocker had "jammed" I guess. The locking mechanism had unlocked and stuck in single action fire. Some how I fixed it. I'm going to put another 100 or so rounds(very carefully) through it and see if it happens again. I honestly don't trust this weapon now. Has anyone heard of this before? Who thinks I should still send it in?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Was the decock lever stuck in the down position?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. It was pinned down by the retention spring/plate on the left side of the trigger group.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I think mine may have had a similar issue. When I first got mine the trigger was real stiff and the barrel did not want to go up into the slides ejection port. I found a burr of metal on the back of the barrel and removed it and that fixed that issue. I then blasted some Gunscruber in it and oiled the sear, pins, and springs. I gave it a little exercise, and gun has been perfect ever since. The trigger is great and it hasn't had any failures. It’s just a thought, but I think mine had some shavings or debris in the works. I wouldn’t ditch the gun because of that.

This is what I wrote back in October.
http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=3672

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I'm not going to ditch it. I coated it with Break Free CLP and let it sit a while. I moved all the parts to get them well lubed up and it turned out fine. I just want to get a couple hundred rounds through it again before it's my main defensive weapon. Right now I've got a 92FS that is good, but I do like the way the FNP puts groups together.

TA, that isn't what I was talking about. I'll get some pictures up in a couple of hours to show you what I think was the problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yet another report of a failure of the DA/SA split sear. How many of these deals are we going to have to go though before we admit there's a serious problem inherent in the DA/SA FNP fire control group?

I hope FN figures out a new DA/SA FNP fire control design, before this one gets somebody killed.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Evopsych said:
Yet another report of a failure of the DA/SA split sear. How many of these deals are we going to have to go though before we admit there's a serious problem inherent in the DA/SA FNP fire control group?

I hope FN figures out a new DA/SA FNP fire control design, before this one gets somebody killed.
There have been several reported cracks in the trigger group area. But this is only the 2nd report involving the sear - TA's wasn't quite that. So, I would hadly call 2 reports an epidemic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Evopsych said:

AMEN!

Although some the FNP apologists will say "Oh, it's really not THAT bad"
(Sic)!

I ask AGAIN FNH ... what is the serial number range of the defective guns?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually Ship, its about the fifth sear problem we've seen if you count the ones documented elsewhere in our search for the answer to this problem.

As you will remember. I was one of the first ones to sound the alarm on the fire control group problems and flex in the wall of the fire control group was one of the the things we wondered about....Now low and behold we have those very fire control group walls beginning to fail.

Your missing the forest by trying to address the the individual tree's Ship. It's not just the flexing fire control group wall, it's not just the poorly cast sears, it's not the springs sliding, its not the poorly designed split sear....It's the synergy of all those problems put together, that make the DA/SA FNP Fire control group a widow maker.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Show me the 5 - because with ONLY the tear tilt U are talkinga bout - this is #2 in my memory.

Maybe I am wrong, but I do not remember 5 (for this 1 issue)

You also talked about this like it was the end of the world, by starting that thread about it - then you weren't around from Aug thru most of December. On the thread you started, to my memory, you were the only one with this sear problem - so that makes 2 now.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I don't have a dog in the hunt - I don't own an FNP. And, I'm not trying to protect FN from anything... THere does seem to be some issues with recent FNPs and the trigger group cracking - however, it is still a fairly low number in comparison to sales, I believe.

But, I just want to keep these issues in perspective. Granted, if you are the one with a problem, it sucks. But, vast numbers of FNP owners are not reporting complaints about this on all the gun forums. It's still a relatively low #.

And, when new people come here and think about buying an FNP - I want things kept in perspective - not inflated. That's why I have jumped in on some of these topics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ship - I only remember two sear tilt issues also, the one Evospych reported some months ago and this one. I agree with you that the reports of problems are valuable, but need to be kept in perspective. The trigger group is modular and easily replaced if there is a problem. So far, FN seems to be addressing the few problem guns quickly.

I think that its also important to point out that the rest of the gun is proving highly reliable. No reports of major problems, like frames cracking, Kabooms or mags dropping as have been reported at one time or another with Sigs, Glocks or M&P's. Like I've said in other threads, if I had put too much stock in internet reports on handguns that I have owned, then I would never have bought my Glocc, FNP or M&P. All three have given me reliable service and many thousands of rounds of fun shooting them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Agree Fabius. FNP9M still going strong. FNP9 back after 23 days. Hope to put couple hundred rounds through it Monday. Neither pistol have bobble a round and I'm not use to that with new autos. Have 8 other autos of various makes and all of them had to go through that "break in" period before reliable and some of them had to go back to factory before they were right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to agree with Ship on this, and give him credit for trying to keep things in perspective. While I certainly recognize the problems people are having - and sympathize with them - they simply do not seem widespread enough to generate the degree of angst that some are expressing on the forum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My gun is "fixed". I will be taking it out tomorrow to check to see if it fires well. I have noticed another problem, but I won't mention it now. If there is a problem I will send it to FN to get it fixed. If, after a speculated problem, the new gun is not good, then I will be selling it. The reason for this is that it is my carry gun. I need it to work all the time, not after I take it apart and find out what is wrong with it.

With that being said, this is the finest hand gun I have ever shot. I can place nice groups down range and keep them where I want them. If they can get all the kinks out of this weapon I don't see why this line won't be "legendary".

·
Registered
173 Posts
Are the FNP series of pistols prone to issues (I've seen cracked trigger areas and this issue so far)? I am thinking of selling my G21 to pay for either the FNP-9 or FNP-357. I am just concerned that I may buy a handgun that might break or have to wonder if it will break. I love the looks of these guns and really want a DA/SA weapon that doesn't break the bank like a Sig. If it is something that only affects a certain serial number range, and they fixed the future models, then I would be happy to buy one. Even my G27 had the infamous frame recall, but was sent back and resolved.

So what's the scoop? Nothing to worry about? Has FN fixed the problem in newer versions?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
We do not know all the details yet - we do not know a serial # range or date of manufacturer. It does seem to be th emore recent pistols made, however.

But, honestly - if ya want one, I'd buy one. The total # of complaints are very small - and it is some of the same people on multiple boards stating the same thing.

I think the issue has been blown out of proportion so far. The Ruger 345, XDs, M&Ps and several other guns have had a few issues that did affect a small number of people before they got things ironed out - this seems to be the case with the FNP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would assume that guns right from the factory are fine. The percent of malfunctions per gun sold is pretty low. They are a nice shooter. Keep an eye on it for the first 300 rounds or so.

Edit: touche shipwreak

1 - 20 of 54 Posts