FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brought this subject up before and received some response about the problem being 'inherent' with some polymer pistols, BUT I would like to throw the issue out once again to see if anyone has suggestions. I have had an FNP-40 for a year, and find myself NOT wanting to shoot the gun because of a very annoying trigger slap. It does not seem to matter what ammo I am using, the trigger 'slaps' my finger upon firing. It is severe enough that it almost causes the end of my finger to go numb..almost the same sensation as when frost bitten digits are thawing out. Unpleasant!!! Everyone who shoots this gun experiences the same issue. I have written FN and await a reply...anyone else have the same problem, or a suggestion!!! dirt

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
This is a VERy known issue with the Beretta PX4s. Out of every mention of the FNP I have come across on tons of sites, yours is the first comment I have ever seen concerning this issue and the FNP/

I'd call Bob:

Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
PO Box 697
McLean, VA 22101
T: 703-288-1292 ext-122
F: 703-288-1730

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wreck, or is it Ship :p
Thanks for the quick reponse. I posted this here a year ago and at least one other member experienced the same irritation. He said that it got better after shooting about 50 rounds in a session and his finger went numb. Don't know if it got better because of the numb finger or an adjustment in the gun!!!

I searched the post yesterday and found it, then tried later and couldn't come up with it in "search". Appreciate very much your talking to Bob!!

Dirt

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Good luck. I put that info up (for Bob) so you could contact him. They will likely pay for the shipping to send your gun in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I contacted Bob Ailes at FN, and posted over on Thehighroad.org or ".us", as I had exactly the same issue. A former engineer with FN was kind enough to respond over on THR, he didn't have a clue. Interestingly, I looked the piece over very carefully, and the culprit seemed to be a malaligned recoil rod. It didn't seem to fit properly into the little groove designed for it unless I was careful in reassembly. That seemed to fix the problem. I think it wasnt absorbing the recoil and it was banging against the trigger. Also, read about the issue over on czforum as many have problems that oddly, are resolved by changing to a trigger with a bit different curve geometry. Good luck, and let us know.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It didn't seem to fit properly into the little groove designed for it unless I was careful in reassembly.
Good info, I'll have to check for that fit issue on mine. I notice sometimes when I take off the slide it isn't fully seated in the groove, however, I've still never noticed the slap, so maybe it only comes out of the groove during take down, not during regular function on mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting. After reading "Polecat's" post, I checked the recoil rod. It indeed was NOT setting down properly into the 'notch' where it belongs. Carefully put the rod down where it belonged, reassembled the gun, racked the slide several times, disassembled....ROD HAD SLID BACK UP AND OUT OF THE NOTCH IT IS SUPPOSED TO SET IN. Put the rod back down, checked for proper placement, reassembled, racked the slide (not firing, just pulling slide back and releasing), take down...recoil rod has slid up and out of it's 'cradle'. Will contact FN for suggestions,... Dirt

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
It sounds like you just need a new recoil spring and rod assembly, or the tolerances aren't quite right where the rod fits in the notch. Let us know what FN does for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts