FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent some quality time with my FS2000's trigger pack recently. Along the way, I tried to smooth out the trigger pull and thought I would pass along my observations. Please respond if you try this and let me know your experiences. I think this might be a good start of some easy tricks to make an out-of-the-box fs2000 function a little better.

The first thing I did was get some wet 1500 grit sand paper and lightly polished the hammer where it engages the sear. That helped, but only a bit. I started comparing the difference in the trigger pulls when the hammer was cocked and when it wasn't (after a dry-fire). I decided to experiment with different lubrications on the sear: oil, grease, and graphite.

Oil: Not a noticeable difference between the oiled and un-oiled sear and hammer. Pretty much the result I expected.

Graphite: Wow. I used graphite originally for lock lubrication and spread it on the hammer before working the sear back and forth across it. This helped a lot and the trigger pull felt immediately better.

Grease: I cleaned off the graphite and applied a small amount of grease to the hammer and worked it across the sear. When I tested the trigger this time, it felt as smooth as the graphite. I think that my order of testing was poor because I couldn’t really clean the graphite off of the hammer, so it may have been the graphite that really did the trick, I can’t tell.

I finished by cleaning up the trigger pack one last time and re-applying the graphite. This time I took a pencil and colored in the engagement area on the hammer before spreading a new thin layer of graphite on the it. The trigger feels much better than it did originally and there is much less difference between the hammer cocked and the hammer uncocked.

I don’t have a tool to measure the trigger pull, but it would be interesting if someone else has a tool to repeat this and let us all know the results.

I have some ideas about modifications to the hammer that might make the trigger pull even better, but right now it is good enough without modification so I will probably leave it as-is. I am not as concerned with trigger weight as I am with simply smoothing it out and I think I am close to there. The only other thing I would like is a more-definite break on the trigger so it is more like a traditional two-stage trigger (if I am using that term correctly). The only ways I can see to achieve this involve modifying the hammer, so that will have to wait until I can have a back-up trigger pack sitting around, or it just might not ever happen out of concerns of having a modified trigger pack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know that someone came up with a way to reduce the trigger pull on a PS90 seems to me that if it can be done on the PS90 it should be possible to do it on the FS2000

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great info waterlogged! :cool:

I have heard before that dry grpahite works wonders on the trigger pack. I've also heard that Ballistol is a good lube. It's non toxic and is supposed to be safe for all polymers. I bet polishing the contact surfaces would also help quite a bit.

One word of concern regarding the trigger weight in comparison to the PS90. I've noticed both of my PS90s have lighter triggers. I seem to recall hearing this is due to the fact that the PS90 is lighter and doesn't require quite as much spring force to prevent the weapon from firing if dropped. (due to kenetic energy) Whereas the FS2K is a heavier weapon and may require a heavier trigger spring for safety in case the weapon is ever dropped.

But then again, we're not supposed to drop our guns anyway. :wink:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm not so sure about that rumor. If that were true all rifles would have heavy triggers. Its a bullpup thing. All bullpup tirggers always suck. Many times trigger jobs make the guns unsafe so its a fine line to walk. I'm going to try this graphite as its an easy way to improve something without a mod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts