FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have used the issue RCO's on a M4 before,. pretty sweet sight. i bought my own TA31 M150 RCO while i have been over here,. i plan on useing it on my M4 clone,. but i'll have to try it on the FS2000 when i get home.

and yeah,. those f**kers are expensive,. but well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I bought a TA01NSN back when they were around 700 bucks. It was nice but not worth 700 bucks. Now they are a lot more expensive.

I am right handed and left eye dominant and was unable to use it with both eyes open.

I traded it for a Colt 1911 and then put an eotech 512 on that AR.

Someone gave me one of those Chinese copies of the NSN and I have it sitting on another AR but I have not shot with it yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, since I have an eotech 512 on my ps90, I think I will do a ACOG. I am not sure if I should:

Spend really big bucks on the 4x32 with the Doctor Optic mounted on top and the side mounted "iron" sight - thus allowing long range AND CQB - $1500

or

Go with a 3x model with longer eye relief and NO Doctor - $800-900.

The 3x model is suppose to have twice the eye relief and fairly quick.....

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
43 Posts
tqtran said:
If you are going to spend $1500 for a 1-4X optic, you may as well get an Elcan.
:evil:

:\/:

no way,.. the Elcans do a little of everything,. but they do not do anything all that well,. they have issues with the mounts breaking,. battery life sucks,. the lit reticule is to bright to use in low light as it washes out your target,. and are not NVG compatable.

granted you have to buy a seperate viewer not availabe to us lowly civi's to use your ACOG with NVD.s

the Elcan is ok on the 240's & 249's,.. but kinda sucks on the M4,. that is why we just use it on the MG's and use either a M68 or M150 on the M4's now.

i would not spend my money on a Elcan for my personal gun,.. at least not like the ones we where issues a while back.

the ACOG is a much better sight.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
I'm not talking about the Elcan M145 thats widely used on MGs and Canadian M4s.

I'm talking about the Elcan 1x/4x Specter DR
I have not heard anything bad about the Elcan 1x/4x SpecterDR.

What problems do you know of the Specter DR?

·
Registered
43 Posts
personal experiance is with the issued Elcan's,.. looks like they updated the new ones a bit,. i'll have to get ahold of one when i get home and check it out.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
cruzie27 said:
personal experiance is with the issued Elcan's,.. looks like they updated the new ones a bit,. i'll have to get ahold of one when i get home and check it out.
Please do, I'd like to know the differences between the old ones and the new ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much does an S&B Short Dot cost these days? For those of us that will never be deployed, a short dot is hard to beat. With the Dollar to Euro conversion rates these days, it may be cost prohibitive though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Texas Armadillo said:
I bought a TA01NSN back when they were around 700 bucks. It was nice but not worth 700 bucks. Now they are a lot more expensive.

I am right handed and left eye dominant and was unable to use it with both eyes open.

I traded it for a Colt 1911 and then put an eotech 512 on that AR.

Someone gave me one of those Chinese copies of the NSN and I have it sitting on another AR but I have not shot with it yet.
I bought mine used at a gun show two years ago for $650--I had to send it back for repair (turret adjustments were not working). Triji fixed it for FREE and it looked like new. Great sight, well worth the money, and got me hooked on ACOGS.

I also am LE dominant and right handed, but shoot lefty. I use ALL my magnified optics and red dots both eyes open.

Well worth the buckage. Buy two!

And another example of two similar people with similar concerns but different solutions.

I now have the TA33 on my FS2000...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts