FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get my SCAR outfitted and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Trijicon Reflex? The one I am looking at is the RX34A51 (A51 is the flat-top, picatinny mount). This model has the 4.5 MOA dot. I want an optic w/o magnification for hunting, the areas we hunt are just too thick for distant shots. The Aimpoint Pro has been recommended (no experience with them but have read good things) and I have had good luck with the EoTech 512, but am curious about the Reflex. Pricing is about the same on all 3. Thanks for any information/input.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'd recommend the TriPower. I've used it on my SCAR and it's currently on my wifes, great optic. You get the same benefits of the reflex but also the battery powered option too.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
If all you want to do with that Reflex sight is hunt, then it's fine but if you were contemplating on using it for defensive purposes as well then you should rethink that option. Tritium/fiber optics units are well known for "wash out" issues. That's why nobody uses these things any more and gravitating towards battery powered optics. Even the IDF had moved away from the Meprolight M21 which is the equivalence of the Trijicon Reflex.

·
Registered
173 Posts
save up and get an ACOG

Reactions: byoung

·
Registered
609 Posts
The accupoint 1-4x 30mm tr24 is a true 1x works great. Ive got one i used for a good bit till i bought a nf 2.5-10x. The tr24 is now on my model 70 in 458winmag

·
Registered
498 Posts
Another vote for the Accupoint TR24R 1-4x scope. I have used it on my SCAR 16 (and other rifles) and it's a great optic. Mine has the red triangle and is the most red-dot like 1-4x scope I have used. No batteries required and the tritium illumination is just right for low light hunting situations. Excellent glass allows for additional resolution at higher powers for further shots when needed. I've shot mine out to 400 yards on my Scar 16 with great success just using holdovers.

I've also used it's bigger brother the TR20-2G 3-9x40 on my SCAR 17 for hunting, another great choice.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks. I actually just upgraded the Scar 17 from the Triji Accupoint 3-9x40 to the Nightforce 2.5-10x42. Glass quality and low light performance is actually very close between the two when comparing side by side. The Nightforce obviously has other features such as 30mm tube, target turrets with zero stop, more internal adjustment, etc. But considering it's less than 1/2 the price of the NF the Trijicon scope is a very nice piece of glass, and it's very very lightweight at only 13oz. I'm moving it over to a lightweight hunting rifle where exposed target turrets aren't needed.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Thanks. I actually just upgraded the Scar 17 from the Triji Accupoint 3-9x40 to the Nightforce 2.5-10x42. Glass quality and low light performance is actually very close between the two when comparing side by side. The Nightforce obviously has other features such as 30mm tube, target turrets with zero stop, more internal adjustment, etc. But considering it's less than 1/2 the price of the NF the Trijicon scope is a very nice piece of glass, and it's very very lightweight at only 13oz. I'm moving it over to a lightweight hunting rifle where exposed target turrets aren't needed.
Hope you didn't think I was dogging the Triji, they're great scopes. I wanted the magnification and the Triji had too big of a bell for the setup I wanted, otherwise mine would be sporting the 2.5-10x Accupoint. Again, very nicely set up. :<>:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hope you didn't think I was dogging the Triji, they're great scopes. I wanted the magnification and the Triji had too big of a bell for the setup I wanted, otherwise mine would be sporting the 2.5-10x Accupoint. Again, very nicely set up. :<>:
Thanks again, and nope didn't think that at all. Everybody knows Nightforce are great scopes, I just wanted to share with others that the Accupoint scopes are also very good, even when compared next to top glass like the Nightforce. I expected they would be pretty close in terms of clarity and low-light performance and they were!

·
Registered
609 Posts
The accupoints are great optics i only went to the nightforce for the extra range and i really like nightforces. Im about 50-50 nightforce and trijicon optics

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an ACOG mounted on a flattop AR-10. Excellent optic. But again the woods we hunt now you are basically guaranteed a snap-shot. I have just never spent the time learning to quickly get on target with a magnified optic (tree stand over a field no problem). That is why I am looking for a non magnified style that would/could co-witness. I spoke with Aimpoint and confirmed the riser piece you always see in the photos can come off, and it even comes with the long/short screws just for this. That will get it right down on the rail. I have had really good luck with the EoTech 512 but just want to try something different. I have a 512 on another 308 flattop AR as well as one on a Bushmaster 450 flattop. Never had a failure of any type. I am going to look into the others mentioned above. When you add in the optic plus a nice set of BUIS you can have easily chewed $1k+ in just sights, so I don't want to be in a mad rush. I really appreciate the input. It may be time to start using the ability to swap relatively easy and not think each is welded to one gun, lol!!

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I have an ACOG mounted on a flattop AR-10. Excellent optic. But again the woods we hunt now you are basically guaranteed a snap-shot. I have just never spent the time learning to quickly get on target with a magnified optic (tree stand over a field no problem). That is why I am looking for a non magnified style that would/could co-witness. I spoke with Aimpoint and confirmed the riser piece you always see in the photos can come off, and it even comes with the long/short screws just for this. That will get it right down on the rail. I have had really good luck with the EoTech 512 but just want to try something different. I have a 512 on another 308 flattop AR as well as one on a Bushmaster 450 flattop. Never had a failure of any type. I am going to look into the others mentioned above. When you add in the optic plus a nice set of BUIS you can have easily chewed $1k+ in just sights, so I don't want to be in a mad rush. I really appreciate the input. It may be time to start using the ability to swap relatively easy and not think each is welded to one gun, lol!!
So, you are willing to zero your guns each time you swap the optics around?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Then you will really like the TR24R. It's the "fastest" 1-4x I have used in terms of getting a good sight picture and target acquisition. For me there is no speed difference between the TR24R and my Aimpoint Pro when bringing the rifle up to my shoulder for a quick shot. It's certainly better than the 3X ACOG's I have used. When comparing to my Aimpoint Pro the TR24R also offers a better field of view, as the ring you see around the sight due to the tube size actually blocks less of your view on the TR24R than on the Aimpoint. It's also nice having a little bit of zoom and the fine aiming point of the triangle tip when you need it to make shots a little further out or through some brush.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm another TR24 fan. I bought a TR24G (green triangle) for my SCAR 17, and liked it so much I got another for my AUG.
I think 4x is enough for what I've used it for. I've shot it from contact to 600. More mag might be nice at times, but those times are few, so not at a sacrifice of the 1X, or more size, or double the cost, etc. It gets used up close a lot more than at 600.

The triangle is easy to use up close: just slap it on target.
It's easy to use at distance: Just use the tip. I think that makes a finer aiming point than the crosshairs of most low power scopes at distance, which cover the target.
At real close distance, using the base of the triangle as the aiming point compensates for some of the sight height over bore.

A 1-8x might be nice at times, but I wouldn't want a scope any bigger physically.
As a friend says: "What are you using it for? Prairie dogs, plates, or people?"

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I would discourage the use of colored reticule for hunting. At various light conditions either the red, amber or green reticule will fade into the background. This is why I favor the standard black reticule with the optional illumination that can be turned on or off at will.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I couldn't disagree more. I have hunted all over the country for many years using illuminated reticles and they are hands down unrivaled when making those last-light evening dusk shots. I have never once had the illuminated green or red reticles on my Accupoint scopes fade into the background in conditions ranging from bright sunlight to dusk to hunting hogs at night in complete darkness in southern GA. And even if they did, the reticle itself is still etched, so you still get the solid outline of a normal non-illuminated reticle if for some reason you found a strange condition where the illumination didn't work as expected. It sounds like you haven’t actually used one of these Accupoints before if you think the reticle just disappears when not illuminated.

Even Bill Wilson himself (of 1911 fame) who is an avid hunter has several times over the years recommended the Accupoint scopes as one of the best low-light hunting scopes you can buy with it's unique illumination system that's just right for such a wide variety of ambient lighting conditions.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I couldn't disagree more. I have hunted all over the country for many years using illuminated reticles and they are hands down unrivaled when making those last-light evening dusk shots. I have never once had the illuminated green or red reticles on my Accupoint scopes fade into the background in conditions ranging from bright sunlight to dusk to hunting hogs at night in complete darkness in southern GA. And even if they did, the reticle itself is still etched, so you still get the solid outline of a normal non-illuminated reticle if for some reason you found a strange condition where the illumination didn't work as expected. It sounds like you haven’t actually used one of these Accupoints before if you think the reticle just disappears when not illuminated.

Even Bill Wilson himself (of 1911 fame) who is an avid hunter has several times over the years recommended the Accupoint scopes as one of the best low-light hunting scopes you can buy with it's unique illumination system that's just right for such a wide variety of ambient lighting conditions.
And what is the Accupoint's advantage over a scope that allows for manual setting of reticle illumination?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I haven't seen the AccuPoint's illumination as a problem either. I have only used green, but the shade stands out against anything natural I've seen.
When conditions are just right, like when inside and looking out into bright sunlight, I no longer see the green illum on the triangle. However, the triangle simply looks black, which is clear as a bell and means I'm no worse off than with a regular scope.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And what is the Accupoint's advantage over a scope that allows for manual setting of reticle illumination?
while i don't own or want an accupoint....the main benefit to them as well as acogs etc...is no batteries...auto adjusts for ambient lighting(although in certain situations I've covered part of the fo tube on acogs with rigging tape as it was too bright) which the accupoints do with a twisting cover of the fo area

1 - 20 of 30 Posts