FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
It depends, how far do you want to shoot it? If its only a CQC back up sight then the larger dow will supposedly be faster on target, then again a 6MOA dot is much bigger than I would like and the 3 MOA dot is plenty fast for anything I would use it for.

The smaller dot gives you more options and options are good so I would go with the smaller one. I had an Insight MRDS with a 3 MOA dot and it worked well, I just cant find a mount to put an insight on my TA11 as its the newer style with the wings like the NSN TA01 ACOGs. If I could find a Docter/ MRDS mount I would have one on my TA11.

· Registered
1,423 Posts
Aim small, miss small, IMO go with small dot, it won't cover your target at 100 yards, and you still have fast target acquisition at CQC distances. Shooting a RMR properly with both eyes open, you only need to look at your target and with popper cheek weld, your dot should be right there. nathanm40a1 - Are you sure you want that dot way up there ? I tried it for about ten minutes, then went to the 45* off-set and decided to refine it a bit more and ended up with the D.D. one o-clock mount, or for me being a leftie, eleven o-clock position. Super fast with minimal cant, at that position your dot may not be at the 45* over bore axis, but if you sight in at 100 yd. what are you out a 1/2" @ 10 yds. ? I can live with that, beats getting turkey neck trying to look over your optic.

· Registered
27 Posts
I probably would almost never use it either way. I like the 45* offset but it still feels weird to me. either way I prefer a small dot.

Aim small, miss small, IMO go with small dot, it won't cover your target at 100 yards, and you still have fast target acquisition at CQC distances. Shooting a RMR properly with both eyes open, you only need to look at your target and with popper cheek weld, your dot should be right there. nathanm40a1 - Are you sure you want that dot way up there ? I tried it for about ten minutes, then went to the 45* off-set and decided to refine it a bit more and ended up with the D.D. one o-clock mount, or for me being a leftie, eleven o-clock position. Super fast with minimal cant, at that position your dot may not be at the 45* over bore axis, but if you sight in at 100 yd. what are you out a 1/2" @ 10 yds. ? I can live with that, beats getting turkey neck trying to look over your optic.

· Registered
638 Posts
I have a TA11 with an RM06 mounted on top. It has the 3.25 moa dot, and it is perfect for me. I can still ding steel easily at 100+ and can transition quickly to much closer targets. I have never been a fan of the larger dot. The quicker acquisition is offset by a large portion of your target being occluded.

I went top mount. Rotating the gun to look at 45 deg is not always possible. And what if you're lying on your right side down? Your RMR would be buried in the dirt. Shooting from behind cover could render your RMR useless. At least that's my experience from the classes I've taken. Obviously there must be something good about 45 deg because it seems very popular, esp with the 3 gun crowd.

Just my opinion, I'm no expert :)

· Banned
2,963 Posts
Agreed with all of the Above.. The Military even had small contracts for 1 MOA RDS. I am not sure on MRDS, but Eotech and maybe others for sure.. Remember SMALL contracts so only a few I read an Article about this, where the link is??

· Registered
620 Posts
The dual-illuminated RMR comes in a model with a 12.9 MOA triangle. That is probably your best option. The sharp top point will give you precise aiming, and the large size will be easy to pick up and see. The thing you have to realize about the RMR is that it is a small sight, and therefore has a small fiber collection surface. It tunnels less light to the reticle compared to other Trijicon models with larger surfaces. A large aiming point is critical this way, because at times it will be dim - so it had better be large.

As for a 45 mount or up top. I'd say that depends on how the ACOG sits for you and how your head aligns with it. Myself, I have an MRDS on a 45 mount at about 10 o'clock hanging off my Hensoldt. I can take the Hensoldt down my RIGHT eye, and with just a slight tip of my head, I can take the MRDS down my LEFT eye. Very fast, I still get a nice cheek weld, and I don't have to change my hold on the gun, etc. It has been working very well for me, but I am left-eye dominant. I am not sure of the extent to which that helping me in this regard. That said, I don't know if I really like it despite the speed and easy of use - because that really only applies when shooting righty, and I shoot ambi.

If you want to try the 45 mount / left eye approach, you probably don't want the triangle reticle (point wont be up top).

I'd probably mount up top to make this easy when shooting both right and left handed, and go with the triangle reticle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.