FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post from 2007 on this topic and problems with RCBS and Hornady shell holders. I have tried RCBS collet #4 (recommended for 5.7) and found that it didn't work. Does anyone have an update on how to best trim cases?

I've also had trouble with RCBS dies. Used in the normal manner - they compress the neck back into the case. A local friend had the same problem and recommended sizing with the 5.7 die with the depriming pin removed and then depriming and finalizing neck dimentions on a 223 die. Anyone else had this experience? Solutions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, funny you should ask, as I just bought a Lyman universal case trimmer and found that the 5.7 x 28mm case is too small for the trimmer to hold it because it kept falling off when I tried to lock it in. Instead of returning it I decided to make it work, so I took the 3 screws off the chuck head cap to see what could be done. What I found nessary to change was those two retaining cam bars that clamp around the cases extractor grove needed to be able move closer together. (not enough travel) The limiting factor was the two retaining cam bars that each have a pin that the coil springs rest against them can only move to the point where they make contact with the head shaft assembly surrounding the enclosed ball-bearing. I ground a small amount of metal from cam's pins (the side making contact with the head shaft) to allow these two cam's to be able to get closer together. While I had the chuck apart, I examined the cam bars and how they fit with the 5.7's extractor grove. I found that they needed to be flared out a little on the top side, this allowed the cam's to fit better around the case's extractor grove. So far it has worked fine but I have only done a few cases. I hope what I have written is understandable. LM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello again, after further use I found I needed to up the spring pressure to get a more reliable grip on the cases, so I changed the two springs to some that were a little longer and stiffer, now it really works better. If I didn't have any springs avaible, I believe inserting a Number 6# shot pellet behind each spring would give them more compression, could work. LM

·
Administrator
12,073 Posts
ne_biker said:
I saw a post from 2007 on this topic and problems with RCBS and Hornady shell holders. I have tried RCBS collet #4 (recommended for 5.7) and found that it didn't work. Does anyone have an update on how to best trim cases?

I've also had trouble with RCBS dies. Used in the normal manner - they compress the neck back into the case. A local friend had the same problem and recommended sizing with the 5.7 die with the depriming pin removed and then depriming and finalizing neck dimentions on a 223 die. Anyone else had this experience? Solutions?

Thanks.
The best die I have found is the Hornady. I originally had RCBS but I experienced the same problem with 'crushed' shoulders. On top of that, the resizing die was marred and it put a kink in every one of the cases that I resized. I also have the Lee dies. They are very nice but I prefer the Hornady. Be very careful when attempting to crimp with the seating die as the shoulder is very easy to crush. I use a Lee .223 crimp die - but that is another story about a (very minor) modification that has to be done.

I do not like the RCBS 5.7x28 resizer die even though most of my loading stuff is RCBS. There was also discussion about the shoulder set back with this die, IIRC something like .050 out of specs though I do not personally know of this as I have not measured it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I just started reloading here.
I'm trimming with the
"Lee case trimmer and lock stud" $5
it works with the "Lee case length gauge and shellholder 5.7x28mm FN" $5
-No complaints so far.
Are you guys trimming every time?? I've been. I'm wondering how many reloads the brass is going to be good for.

+1 on the Hornady Dies
my set has worked beautifully so far

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a Forster trimmer and while they don't offer a collet for the 5.7 they will machine one for you for around forty bucks. Mine works perfectly. There's been lot's of negative posts about the RCBS dies. I went with Redding and couldn't be happier. In fact, these are my first Redding dies and I'm very impressed with the quality. I believe they will be my manufacture of choice for further die purchases. Machining and finish are very nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts