FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
First post-long time lurker, I thought about posting on the "other" forum, but decided that I did not want a rude & condescending response to a valid question-I've seen many. Anyway, back to my question, I currently have a Triple Rail with an Aimpoint 2x and use an ultra-low mount, love the scope & the mount. The problem? No BUIS at all, zip-zero-nada! I like optics, but Murphy has a law about battery-powered glass, and I do not want to fall victim to it. I saw the Tru-Glow front sight alignment beads, but I want something adjustable, preferably low enough to fit under my Aimpoint. Does anyone know of a 3-dot pistol sight set that will mount on a Pic rail? Maybe I should have waited for the black holo sight, but I like how low the Aimpoint sits on the TR. How do you post pics, 'cuz I hear that they are worth a thousand words. Thanks for treating the members of this forum with respect and civility.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, posted it in the wrong forum-that would have definitely got me a scolding "elsewhere"! Please move it to the appropriate location-thanks!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
No problem. I just moved it for ya.

Sorry, but there is currently nothing in the way of backup sights for the tri rail. They redesigned the receiver a bit, and they eliminated that on that version of the PS90.

To be honest - I don't really find the sights on the standard version that super usable. I guess it gets somewhat close. But, just keep extra batteries with your optic. About the best U can do.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
Only thing I can think of is getting a low mount ghost ring sight.
That might work. Like the rear sight in this picture. Maybe get two.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
tqtran said:
Only thing I can think of is getting a low mount ghost ring sight.
That might work. Like the rear sight in this picture. Maybe get two.
That MIGHT work - but you'd have to leave the top rail empty in order to use it.

I suppose you COULD buy a front and rear Ar15 folding sight to mount on the rail - but the sight radius would really suck. And, with an optic on the rail, it would be unusable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Tqtran where did you find the ghost ring? Probably not low enough, my Aimpoint sits pretty low, but it might. Shipwreck, yeah I know the sight radius sucks and that I could not use the BUIS with the optic, but the Aimpoint comes off in a hurry and it is supposed to return to zero. I was just hoping to leave a BUIS underneath the scope. I do have 2 spare batteries in the butt stock. I have broken the Aimpoint when mounted to my Mini-14 in a horse scabbard, they replaced it without fuss but it really brought home the need for BUIS, even crap ones.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Well, I am not sure where he found that photo, but as I stated above, U could get folding AR sights, and maybe put one in fron and one behind the aimpoint - it it'll fit. These type of sights are adjustable, so U could probably get them to be accurate, with some time and adjustments. Og course - each one is around $100, so it would cost U $200 to do this. Plus, U'd have to remove one of them to take the aimpoint mount off in order to use the sights.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Well, I am not sure where he found that photo, but as I stated above, U could get folding AR sights, and maybe put one in fron and one behind the aimpoint - it it'll fit. These type of sights are adjustable, so U could probably get them to be accurate, with some time and adjustments. Og course - each one is around $100, so it would cost U $200 to do this. Plus, U'd have to remove one of them to take the aimpoint mount off in order to use the sights.
http://keltec.ewdcheckout.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=18

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lurker, how do you like the 2x Aimpoint?

I guess you could use an extended Picatinny rail and put some irons on it. That would raise your Aimpoint a bit though.

Would a laser like the LaserMax Uni-Max work as a backup? I don't have a lot of experience with lasers. How far can you see a red laser in daylight? The Uni-Max should have a remote pressure switch soon. Here is a link to the Uni-Max:

http://www.lasermax.com/category.php?id=10

Which Aimpoint mount are you using? Perhaps you could mount a Docter type sight on top of your Aimpoint.

I have the regular PS90. The backup sights are better than nothing I guess. I can't see them very well unless I hold my head back. I need to practice with them. I have a 2x ACOG mounted, so I'm not terribly worried about the need for backup sights as the ACOG uses no batteries.

Edited to add:

Lurker, what is the black holo sight you mentioned?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SunsetSam, I like the 2x Aimpoint, fair warning-I lot of people do not, if you have not heard, just keep both eyes open, works fine for me. I've only shot about a 150 rounds through it, but with this sight I can consistently keep it under 2MOA at a 100yds. Per your earlier post I zeroed it at 75yds, but that was with the SS197, I'm close to a 100yd zero with the SS195 with the same zero. I've used the scope on my Mini-14 as stated above, but it really shined on my ruger 10/22 banana-clipped bunny gun-almost too good. My bunny hunting buddies were going to outlaw it as cheating, kinda like our "no shotgun" policy. Quick acquistion-not as fast as 1x, but plenty quick. I would like it to be a 3x, it would really help for magnifying the quick moving little bunny targets as they move out and away but I figure that 2x is twice as good as 1x. I actually do have a J-Point sight that I cannot decide what to put it on, but I think the dot is an 8 MOA-way too big! Besides, it is another electrical/optical sight, I wanted a "KISS" type back-up sight. Perhaps less effective, but a whole lot more reliable. The "black holo" sight that I referred to is the new Secret Service sight. Yeah, I know it's not a true holo, sorry about the confusion. I'm still questioning the practical advantage of the 1/2" lower LOS offered by the triple rail vs. the included black sight now offered. By their pricing, I figure I should be paying $500-600 less for the TR minus the included sight, but oh well. I was gonna wait for the black sight, but the new AWB bill introduced a couple of weeks ago spooked me into buying earlier than I had planned. Again, thanks for all the feedback and help, instead of a lecture! Hopefully I can come up with an effective low tech back-up iron sight to make me feel better about my decision to buy now. I really do like the gun, I'm sure it will be considered cheating by my huntin' buddies, 50 round, non-jamming, flat shooting, red-dot having space gun, bunnies beware!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I used fiber optics since my aging eyes have difficulty focusing on such a short sight radius. Accurate enough for my needs, I can bounce a liter coke bottle at 50yds if I do my part.
Tomac

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lurker, do you have any pics of your rifle?

Which mount are you using? If it if is an ARMS mount you could add the ARMS tactical ring cap:

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=44

Then with the tactical ring cap you could add their tactical ring sight:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6099-123-new-arms-22trs-tactical-rail-sight.aspx

The tactical ring sight is a short V groove sight. Better than nothing I guess.

Or, with the tactical ring cap you could also add the ARMS tactical ring rail:

http://www.armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=58

That would let you add a Docter type sight. I know you don't want to add another electronic sight, but it would be a backup. I'm not certain the tactical ring rail is long enough, but you might be able to mount a JP short range tactcal iron sight to it:

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JP-SRTS

Arms doesn't say how long their rail is and JP isn't clear how long of a rail their iron sight needs. I think it mounts to a 4 inch rail and the ARMS rail looks like it might be 4 inches long. How it would all look on the rifle, I don't know.

If you would, please break up your paragraphs. It helps me focus.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Tomac said:
I used fiber optics since my aging eyes have difficulty focusing on such a short sight radius. Accurate enough for my needs, I can bounce a liter coke bottle at 50yds if I do my part.
Tomac
But once U put an optic on it, can U use them?

I couldn't do that with my eotech. U can't really see underneath that sucker.

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShipWreck said:
Tomac said:
Tomac
But once U put an optic on it, can U use them?
I couldn't do that with my eotech. U can't really see underneath that sucker.
There's no need to use them if your optic is still operational. With your Eotech use a QD mount like the GG&G then just remove the optic to access the FO BUIS. Not a perfect solution but much better than the factory so-called BUIS (I wonder if I could use fiber optics on them to make them more visible... hmmm...)
Tomac

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Yea, I guess U are right. I'll just rely on the backup sights if it came to that, though. I don't wanna take the eotech off to zero in something like that, and I'm fine the way I am. I have backup batteries in my case. And, the Eotech is already pretty bump safe with that cage around it (I've already "bumped
it 1x - not a mark :) )

But, good idea still :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sunset, sorry about the readability of my unbroken paragraph and thanks for your input. I'll figure out how to post pics and try to get them up tomorrow-worth a thousand words.

My mount is an Aimpoint low, it will come off in a hurry with a quarter or a screwdriver. I do have the Aimpoint quick-release with the ratcheting Pic knob, but it sits too high so I don't use it.

The ARMS ring V-sight looks interesting, but it does not look to be adjustable and I'd have to buy their bases.

The JP looks really promising, especially since it is adjustable. I'm wondering if I could mount it to the left side Pic rail and just zero @ 25 or 50 yds and about an inch left. This would allow me to shoot open sights without removing the scope.

Tomac, if your fiber optic setup shoots that well, maybe I'll just do that, it looks to be the least expensive option.

Shipwreck, unfortunately the triple rails do not have any kind of back-up sight, so that option is out for me. The more I think about it, the more I think I should have waited and gone with the secret service sight and just accepted the higher scope mount. Oh well, I could always get another one and do the SBR option.

Thanks again for all the responses!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have posted these first, it would have made things a lot easier:

1) Compared against the quick-detach Aimpoint mount, the low mount drops it at least 1/4".
2) Compared with a steel ruler-very low fit.
3) Close-up, the 2x Aimpoint is a little longer, I turned the front flip-up scope cap cover upside down, so now it flips down.
4) Zoom-out

[/img]

Do these pics give anyone any ideas? After taking the pictures, it looks like Tomac's solution is probably the best solution. Tomac do you have a linky for the fiber optics you used?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd also like to see a link on those Tru-glo sights.

I'm contemplating some sort of irons for my TR, but I think for now I'll be fine with my Aimpoint.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here 'ya go:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=456904
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=110368
I used green in front and red in back because I wanted to be able to determine front from back and since green is more visible to the human eye I placed it furthest away. On the MagazineParts optics rail I did have to lightly file the sides of the fiber optic mounts to get them to fit. Both my PS90's are as dead-on at 50yds as I could hope for but will only be as accurate as the rail they're mounted on is straight. HTH...
Tomac

1 - 20 of 21 Posts