FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pros and cons of the white ring sight has had more discussion than probably any other topic on this forum and I am not going to hash that out now other than to say I am not completly sastified with it. Ever since I saw Tomac's post on the Tros Aimpoint mount I knew that was the way I wanted to go. I went to the local gun show lately but could not find a Aimpoint. Did find as guy trying to sell the Aimpoint clone for $285 that I've heard others buy on Ebay for $50. Since I could'nt find a sight I was forced to buy another gun. Got a Ruger new model mini 14 target. I know it's not a "black rifle" but it was purty. Sorry got of topic.
I did get a inexpensive sight made by AIM Sport. This sight is made just like the Burris XTS-135, Spot MKIII and the Tasco propoint. These sights are different than the Aimpoint but are similar in design and I was currious how they would fit in the Tros mount. It fits purfect. The sight is at the right height for me and this is a very solid mount. I will admit that the quality of the Aimpoint are the best but they do have a high price. The style of sight I got shows that you have other options with this mount. As far as the quality of these other sights they rate like this,
#1 Burris XTS-135 w/3 moa dot.
#2 Spot MKIII w/3 or 6 moa dot.
#3 Tasco Propoint w/5 moa dot.
#4 AIM sport w/4 moa dot.
I do like my AIM sport cause it comes with a magnifier that screws onto the front(kinda cool). This post was just to show you that there are less expensive options for us thrifty(cheap) people out there.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thx for the report! :? Good to see there are other optics that will fit the TROS for those who don't want or can't afford an Aimpoint (and I agree, they are pricey...) Keep us posted!
Tomac
PS- I wish I could get a 2x magnifier for the front of my Aimpoints! :cry:
PPS- How well does the 2x magnifier work? How's light transmission, color, FOV, etc?

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Tomac"
PPS- How well does the 2x magnifier work? How's light transmission, color, FOV, etc?
I can't compare it because I have never looked thru a Aimpoint or Eotech with a magnifier but this one is okay. Light transmission is the same as is color. The FOV is just a little smaller. I do like this style with the side wheel with 11 brightness settings. It was easy to zero and as held it even when I emptied a magazine as fast as I could. I will probably upgrade later but for know this is a fun toy. This was kind of a experiment with the mount so I kept the cost down. And Tomac thanks for all your earlier advise. It was alot of help.

·
Registered
569 Posts
vulcan15 said:
"Tomac"
I can't compare it because I have never looked thru a Aimpoint or Eotech with a magnifier but this one is okay. Light transmission is the same as is color. The FOV is just a little smaller. I do like this style with the side wheel with 11 brightness settings. It was easy to zero and as held it even when I emptied a magazine as fast as I could. I will probably upgrade later but for know this is a fun toy. This was kind of a experiment with the mount so I kept the cost down. And Tomac thanks for all your earlier advise. It was alot of help.
You're welcome and thx for the info! Now, if only someone would make one that fits the Aimpoint's killflash threads I could see picking up a couple for myself...
Tomac

·
Registered
954 Posts
I really like that setup. After deployment (or maybe during mid-tour leave), I'm going to purposely look for a black SBR PS90 with ring sight, so I can use this mount.

I was wondering if you had happened to see any other red-dot scopes that had screw-on magnifiers. Or any other magnifiers that fit that AIM Sport?

·
Registered
569 Posts
QB 45 said:
I really like that setup. After deployment (or maybe during mid-tour leave), I'm going to purposely look for a black SBR PS90 with ring sight, so I can use this mount.

I was wondering if you had happened to see any other red-dot scopes that had screw-on magnifiers. Or any other magnifiers that fit that AIM Sport?
The new Vortex Strikefire comes w/a screw-on magnifier & the specs look good on paper. Unfortunately it's so new I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. Keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tomac said:
QB 45 said:

The new Vortex Strikefire comes w/a screw-on magnifier & the specs look good on paper. Unfortunately it's so new I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. Keep us posted!...
Tomac
First off let me say hi as I am new to the Forum and a new PS90 owner. I've been lurking here for awhile trying to learn as much as I can. I got a great deal on my PS90 with the down side of having the white ring sights. After having played with them some I know that I need to do something different. I have heard that the black sights are a big improvement but $600 seems kind of steep. I am already on the list for a REM t3 but I am also thinking of getting a mount and dot. After a lot of study I decided that the TROS mount for the Aimpoint was the way to go until I added everything up. Lets see TROS mount $100, M68 ring $100, Aimpoint compml2 $400. Wow $600 which is the same as the black ring sight. Now for my questions. First of all did I get the TROS/Aimpoint option priced correctly? And secondly in this thread there is mention of the Vortex Strikefire. Does anyone know if it will work with the TROS mount? For those of you who respond thanks for your time and consideration on this .

·
Registered
569 Posts
texjet said:
First off let me say hi as I am new to the Forum and a new PS90 owner. I've been lurking here for awhile trying to learn as much as I can. I got a great deal on my PS90 with the down side of having the white ring sights. After having played with them some I know that I need to do something different. I have heard that the black sights are a big improvement but $600 seems kind of steep. I am already on the list for a REM t3 but I am also thinking of getting a mount and dot. After a lot of study I decided that the TROS mount for the Aimpoint was the way to go until I added everything up. Lets see TROS mount $100, M68 ring $100, Aimpoint compml2 $400. Wow $600 which is the same as the black ring sight. Now for my questions. First of all did I get the TROS/Aimpoint option priced correctly? And secondly in this thread there is mention of the Vortex Strikefire. Does anyone know if it will work with the TROS mount? For those of you who respond thanks for your time and consideration on this .
The TROS mount comes w/a ring so there's $100 off your estimated price. You can get the superior Aimpoint ML3 w/either 2 or 4moa dot for $396 here: http://www.smartgunner.com/dotsights.aspx
I've tried the black reticle ringsight and didn't care for the very small FOV through the optic (YMMV). I still haven't heard anything solid about the Strikefire either way. HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tomac said:
The TROS mount comes w/a ring so there's $100 off your estimated price. You can get the superior Aimpoint ML3 w/either 2 or 4moa dot for $396 here: http://www.smartgunner.com/dotsights.aspx
I've tried the black reticle ringsight and didn't care for the very small FOV through the optic (YMMV). I still haven't heard anything solid about the Strikefire either way. HTH...
Tomac

Thanks for the info on this. I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I like the way the tros mount sits the aimpoint as low as it does. And I agree with Tomac, the aimpoint is better because of the better fov.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Thats what i got!! :? btw TA, u changing ur avatar is messing with my chi

·
Registered
4 Posts
ShipWreck said:
I've looked at that long and hard - but I just find the Eotech reticle faster to pick up, personally.
I agree with you on this. I have an Eotech on my AR and I love it. However for the PS90 I like the Aimpoint idea for its compact form factor. It's a bit of a trade off for me as like you I like the Eotech reticle better.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to add a update I am still using the Aim Sport sight and have not upgraded yet because this sight is still working pretty good. I did get a chance to shoot a PS90 with the black sight and though it was a great improvement over the white ring I still did'nt like it that much. It still sits to low for me and the FOV is small. I find the tros mount is the perfect height and the red dot is so much faster to use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts