FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to to a detail strip and clean on my FNX 40. I was able to get everything apart and put back together, with the exception of the firing pin retaining plate. I tried for at least an hour to remove it, but it wouldn't budge. I watched a video of someone doing a detailed strip and it looked like theirs came off really easily. Has anyone done this before, and if so do you have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Have it in the right way? rounded portion of the bottom of the plate should be facing out towards the hammer.

The plate on FN's are much tighter than other guns, so I usually wind up using a punch and hammer to tap it out and sometimes in. Make sure you are getting the firing pin down far enough (you'll have to push up on the firing pin block to get it in far enough)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
:-DBigger hammer, tannerite, c4, thermonuclear tipped punch, 7.62x.51 direct hit, two 5.56 direct hits, drop off cliff, drive over it with a jeep, or my favorite...leave it on the train tracks over night...that pin will come out ! Keep me posted...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was never able to get it off in the first place. I was gonna try a hammer and punch but I didn't want to damage anything in the process. I was definitely pushing in the firing pin enough, that plate just wouldn't budge. I guess the hammer and punch would be the next step. And if all else fails, Canyon Man's c4 idea just might do the trick:th_roll:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I used a brass punch and a hammer. It takes a few tries to get everything lined-up correctly before you strike the punch with the hammer.

Make sure there is enough room for the plate to move down towards the work surface. You might need to put a small piece of wood or nylon under the slide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mbartlett17, i have an fnx.45 and I had to put a punch in the hole depressing the firing pin and have my wife whack the punch downward with a screwdriver handle. what i found is the pressed/peened areas at the bottom corners are facing out toward the shooter. i think it was put in the press backwards. when i turn it around without the firing pin it will slide in and out of the channel. I have shot an email off to fn. My fnx was purchased in the last year and this is the first time I tried to pull the firing pin out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
mbartlett17, what i found is the pressed/peened areas at the bottom corners are facing out toward the shooter. i think it was put in the press backwards. when i turn it around without the firing pin it will slide in and out of the channel..
it wasnt put in backwards. you should put it in the way it came out. the metal was staked to help keep it in place, so you dont want to remove the "peened" places. it keeps it from floating around. also that plate has a beveled place so when the slide comes back it smoothly cocks the hammer. if you flip it around that bevel is defeated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FNX45T, with the beveled or rounded side of the plate contacting the hammer is when the plate is impossible to remove without force. I had not disassembled the pistol before. If the plate is supposed to be this difficult to remove then so be it.
I did not recieve any reply from FN. All I am saying is when I saw some disassembly videos on youtube the people just actuated the firing pin safety then pushed down the firing pin and slid off the plate, no force needed.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My FNP-9, FNX 45 tac, and the FNP 45 I had all required me to tap it off with a punch and hammer. They aren't too difficult, but it does take a little bit to figure out how to get things situated so that you can get it off. My 1911 and SIG P938 retainer plates just slide right off with very little force.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts