FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to mount a Vortex Optics 1-4 PST scope on my 16S using an ADM QD cantilever mount. I am going to mount the ADM backwards to give myself clearance on the left side where I have my charging handle mounted.

I am looking at a bent handle and have it narrowed down to the GG&G handle or the HDD spec-ops handle.

I like the GG&G handle's price and how it looks closer to OEM. The HDD is still somewhat OEM in appearance but runs $100 vs $25 for the GG&G. Supposedly the knurling on it is rough...but how rough? I don't want to lose skin because I'm not wearing gloves. I do like its appearance and its slightly larger diameter.

If you own or have tried either or both, can you please chime in? I would appreciate your insight!

P.S. I have looked into the EACH but it is not what I am looking for. I like the rounded style better and am not a fan of the hollow space underneath.

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
I have used a couple different charging handles including the GG&G. It works well...does what it should. I actually ended up going back to the factory CH as none of my optics really require an angled handle.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use the GG&G. I went with this one over some of the others mainly because of price and availability, i just bundled it with other stuff one day when shopping on Amazon. i run a VCOG with a Larue LT100QD mount so i do need the angle to comfortably clear the QD and i have never had any issues. The one thing i will bring up for full disclosure is that the GG&G CH does have a little "play" when installed vs the stock CH, but it doesnt affect functionality at all for me.

·
Premium Member
9,042 Posts
I personally have an E.A.C.H. and recommend them too! :?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have the Leupold Mark 6 mounting system on the 17 and needed an angled charging handle. I tried the GG&G before the EACH was available and it worked fine but, changed to the EACH. The GG&G worked OK but the EACH for me is easier to use. I am right handed and usually use the small finger side of my left hand (hand up) when I pull the CH and push with the heel of my hand and the EACH works great for me.

:th_thumbsup::th_thumbsup: for the EACH IMO.

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
I just thought I would add that I have a couple of the EACH's and they work like a charm if you need an angled CH. I didn't mention them as the OP said he wasn't interested.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Premium Member
9,042 Posts
To the OP, if you're concerned about the open bottom of the E.A.C.H. some epoxy cures that right up. The E.A.C.H. also provides some more mass although not much but mass nonetheless. Mass is good should you have to pogo a stuck round out or help hammer one home, not that our SCAR's suffer such maladies but an ounce of insurance is worth.......

·
Registered
974 Posts
Because of the perfect angle of the EACH where it gives maximum clearance for scope mounts yet remains fully functional, I really never thought about the underside that you can't see.

I can't think of a functional difference that it would make if the underside were solid except to add a gram or so to the weight.

I like that the ergonomics make it less likely for my hand to slip off than a round design, especially wearing winter gloves.
(Edit: Or when my hands turn into large clumps of meat where I can't feel my fingers and I have no fine motor skills because I just got a huge jolt of adrenaline. You know, when you are suddenly confronted with a situation that plunges you into that surreal "this can't be happening" "fight or flight" mode)

If I were to suggest an improvement it would be to radius the outer edges more and add a fat rubber o-ring around the end in such a way that if you did pull a Gomer and get struck by the charging handle as it reciprocate or allow it to strike some other object, the blow would be cushioned a little and the damage inflicted on you or the object would be lessened a little.

With that said, the EACH in theory is probably going to hurt less and do less damage than a round handle because the point of striking contact is likely to be larger, broader and flatter than the edge of a round handle. This should spread the blow out more and do more bruising and less cutting, possibly lessening the risk of breaking a finger bone. But none of that matters much if you don't ever plan to wear gloves or pull a Gomer.

Tool accessory

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only complaint I have about the E.A.C.H. is that it is large and makes it hard to hit my bolt release when my bolt is locked back.

·
Premium Member
9,042 Posts
Simple solution for that issue, purchase a PMM B.C.D. problem solved! :?

The only complaint I have about the E.A.C.H. is that it is large and makes it hard to hit my bolt release when my bolt is locked back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Unless your wanting to close the bolt on an empty chamber with no mag in couldn't you just strike the charging handle? After all it is a bolt release in of itself. Assuming you have just inserted a new mag.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have all three (GG&G, HDD, and EACH). The GG&G wiggles too much, the HDD knurling makes it uncomfortable to grip, and I have no complaints about the EACH. The hollow bottom of the EACH is a cosmetic complaint only, and has no bearing on its function. Besides, who is ever going to see it since the hollow part faces downward??

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Get the EACH and don't look back.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, I knew the EACH was popular but damn. Thanks everyone, I guess that answers that question! If anyone else wants to chime in please do!

·
Premium Member
9,042 Posts
Yeah, just one more thing...................to E.A.C.H. his own, you need to OWN an E.A.C.H. then a S.O.A.M.R. and then............oh it just goes on and on. :mrgreen:

Wow, I knew the EACH was popular but damn. Thanks everyone, I guess that answers that question! If anyone else wants to chime in please do!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts