FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the GG&G QD Sling Mount and I used their little Allen key to remove the factory screws.
Only, it doesnt work. the factory screw heads are starting to round out and any pressure put onto the allenkey doesnt make it turn, only bends to the other side.

Anyone else ever have this issue and is there a way to solve it? I want to stop before it completely rounds out.

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
i just got the gg&g qd sling mount and i used their little allen key to remove the factory screws.
Only, it doesnt work. The factory screw heads are starting to round out and any pressure put onto the allenkey doesnt make it turn, only bends to the other side.

Anyone else ever have this issue and is there a way to solve it? I want to stop before it completely rounds out.
get a good set of allen wrenches like snapon:?

·
Premium Member
9,492 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had no issues getting my factory screws out -- I didn't use heat either, although that's not a bad idea. It's essential to get a good set of METRIC Allen wrenches. Some people forget that all of the fasteners on this weapon are METRIC. Use the wrong standard (English) wrench that's close and you'll ruin the screw with the first attempt.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MHO, I use a Wheeler torque wrench for most of my gun work and yes, heat it up the fastener first... :?

Wheeler Fat Torque Wrench Screwdiver w/ 10 Bit Set 553556

Amazon.com: Wheeler Fat Torque Wrench Screwdiver w/ 10 Bit Set 553556: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Wheeler 89-Piece Deluxe Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set: Sports & Outdoors

I asctually have the wheeler fat torque but it didnt work for the screws.

I used a heat gun to it for a good few minutes and it STILL didnt work with the allen keys they supplied and the screw heads are now stripped. =(
Next option?

·
Premium Member
13,381 Posts
i used a heat gun and the screw heads are now stripped. =(
next option?
:p get a good set of allen wrenches for next time. The link i provided are snap-on most reasonable sets of standard and metric .if you stop and look at them they are ball on one end and standard on the other:biggrin:. Next step now without a picture seeing on how bad they are you might have to use extractors on them but i think you might want to let someone qualified do it for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts