FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the happy owner of my new SCAR 16S and still happy after the newly inflated prices!

Right after I got it I started going through the malfunction drills as taught by Front Sight, and I noticed my chubby fingers don't fit well in the upper to clear the double feed (or Type 3) malfunction.

So as a new owner I wondered if: 1. They just don't happen to the SCAR (I hope), or 2. How it is best performed?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Skydogz. Have taken the 4-day course at FS with my 16S, hoping to do the same with my 17S later this year. Doing malfunction drills with the SCAR almost seemed like cheating compared to other ARs. The ability to clear malfunctions without moving the SCAR from the firing position is a great advantage. Most double-feeds are likely to clear using the FS method without requiring a finger clearing; might be best to transition at that point. Never had a type III malfunction, but I did cause 2 type IIs. First one caused by a thumb in the direct path of a moving charging handle. Quickly recognized that the FTE and sore thumb were related events, and then I promptly did it one more time for good measure. Lesson learned- pain is a great teacher, consistent pain even better teacher.

:th_1087:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've setup a Type 3 malfunction as shown at FS. After locking back the charging handle and dropping the mag the 2 rounds have always just dropped free, even when I try to jam them in. You still can use your fingers up through the open magwell if you want to practice that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never had a type III malfunction, but I did cause 2 type IIs. First one caused by a thumb in the direct path of a moving charging handle. Quickly recognized that the FTE and sore thumb were related events, and then I promptly did it one more time for good measure. Lesson learned- pain is a great teacher, consistent pain even better teacher.

:th_1087:
LOL, Thanks greatly for the info. I will be taking my SCAR next visit and I only have to decide on using my Eotech (robbing my M15) or getting something else?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How were you taught to clear a type 3 at FS? I've always been trained to go through the magwell, which on the Scar 16 is the same size as the AR15.....
I have done it the same way, just seemed like with my AR I could get my fingers through the ejection port also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That was a thoroughly excellent video, showing two ways to attack the problem; many thanks! :target:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.