FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U.S. Army’s elite Special Forces train with local cops in a secretive joint exercise

Unwarranted NSA surveillance, the passage of NDAA, stop and frisk programs, and the rise of warrior cops, have essentially turned America into a centralized police state.
Blurring the lines between the U.S. military and local sheriff departments sets a dangerous precedent that erodes freedom and civil liberties.
Those lines are being blurred right now in South Carolina.
According to The State, the Richland County Sheriff’s Department will participate in secretive joint exercise Monday and Tuesday with unnamed units from Ft. Bragg.

The drills are scheduled to run up to midnight on both days and occur primarily in Lower Richland, around Hopkins and Eastover. Exercises will also take place around the Screaming Eagle Road near Elgin and North Richland County near outbound Monticello Road.
According to The State, a sheriff’s department spokesman refused to provide which units from Ft. Bragg are involved. Ft. Bragg is home to the U.S. Army’s elite groups, including the Special Forces and Delta Force.
The spokesman also said the drills would be noisy at times....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not certain what to think of this. Interesting to say the least. But why are cops being trained in ops?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
This should be of no cause for concern, it has been going on for decades. While with the 75th we would be tasked at times to play "games" with LE mostly LE gets their butt kicked but it is a valuable training initiative that serves a valid purpose. We need to realize, in the event of an event Local LEO's will be the First Responders and they need the training and skills to do what is necessary to make it home to their families. To put it simply and I'm not criticizing LE training but when encountering Ex-Mil specifically ex-combat military the odds will not be in their favor then there's certain nut cases which no training will prepare you for. These training exercises go a LONG way towards that preparation and again this sort of activity has been going on for decades.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This should be of no cause for concern, it has been going on for decades. While with the 75th we would be tasked at times to play "games" with LE mostly LE gets their butt kicked but it is a valuable training initiative that serves a valid purpose. We need to realize, in the event of an event Local LEO's will be the First Responders and they need the training and skills to do what is necessary to make it home to their families. To put it simply and I'm not criticizing LE training but when encountering Ex-Mil specifically ex-combat military the odds will not be in their favor then there's certain nut cases which no training will prepare you for. These training exercises go a LONG way towards that preparation and again this sort of activity has been going on for decades.
That is true, but the now near ubiquitous combat police officer dress is becoming more in your face (complete with MRAP's for whatever reason) for what used to be an average cop dressed in a blues. It was normally SWAT that was doing these exercises with the military back in the day. I am sure they are doing this for a reason, I am not quite sure if it will be good for the general welfare of the public.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
That I cannot say.

I know that here in Palm Beach County most Patrol LEO's dress accordingly, only Tactical/SWAT unit members dress for the occasion and it's a rare instance when any tactical vehicles are seen on the road except hi-risk warrant service.

I am sure they are doing this for a reason, I am not quite sure if it will be good for the general welfare of the public.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is true, but the now near ubiquitous combat police officer dress is becoming more in your face (complete with MRAP's for whatever reason) for what used to be an average cop dressed in a blues. It was normally SWAT that was doing these exercises with the military back in the day. I am sure they are doing this for a reason, I am not quite sure if it will be good for the general welfare of the public.
PDs are getting MRAPs because they stop bullets and they are free. Period. There is no gearing up for martial law afoot (not that anyone at the local level is aware of, anyway).

Don't be scared of the cargo pockets, they won't hurt you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Most likely it is SWAT teams training with them. Not a bad idea around the base area where LE will respond in first. The issues with former service members having a violent confrontation with LE is still rare, not zero. And on the terror side there is the chance individuals trained overseas and using military training could at some point attack here. I really expect a Beslan style attack here at some time in the future. If I was a SWAT officer having training with a very highly trained unit would be great, the experience they have in looking for a armed threat is far greater than any officer will have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts