FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having issues with cases getting stuck in a Redding Reloading titanium carbide resizing/decapping die. I spoke with a Redding tech support agent and was told that this was highly unusual. He mentioned that I might be over polishing the brass, because he said highly polished brass can leave brass flakes and particles inside the resizing die which builds up and could lead to stuck cases. He told me that he uses a mixture of 1 cup vinegar, 3 tablespoons of citric acid, 2-3 drops of detergent and boiling water to clean cases in a five gallon bucket. Typically I have tumbled in media with primers still in cases, as I use a progressive press. I have tried his suggestion a few times, but then decided to purchase a ultrasonic cleaner. I have not tired it yet, but read the instructions that state to remove primers before cleaning in a ultrasonic cleaner, because otherwise the primer pockets will not be completely dry when decapping and reloading which could lead to misfires. Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner for brass and do I have to remove primers first?
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
418 Posts
You stripped away the powder fouling of the inside of the case, which previously acted as a lubricant.

I've found two solutions to this problem on my 550.

1. Take the open end of the piece of brass and spin it on your lube pad. It puts just enough lube on the rim of the brass to ease things up a bit. I do this before sizing.

2. Hornady one shot. Give your brass a light misting. Also dry silicon lube works too but not as good.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Takes some of the advantage of progressive out of the picture, however can resize and de prime on separate press.

May also be able to dry cases in the oven after wet cleaning. Still could get trapped moisture in primer pockets though.

I used to be a bit overly concerned about brass cleanliness. I just clean it now so that there is nothing to mess up a die. Shiny is cool but not really too functional, other than helping feed a bit.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Never had an issue, but I don't use Redding dies.

Vibratory media clean my brass, with primers in the brass.

I don't reload cases the same day I clean them, especially when I have used liquid cleaning.

Plenty of time to dry.

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, can't speak about that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I never used the ultrasound method so I cant speak to that. I use to corn cobb with some flex in a vibrator but got some cobb stuck often enough to go to a two stage process and added a small jet of compressed air to ensure the case was clear. About a year ago I went to a tumbler using steel pins, a few drops of dawn and some citric acid, Its FAST and very through. When I went to using any liquid, I did start to have sizing issues, I was using Oneshot but went back to a pad and haven't looked back since.
I made my own tumbler out of a 6" PVC but this should give you the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts