FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UMWA Claims Obama's Gun Stance Being Distorted

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- The United Mine Workers of America claims the National Rifle Association is trying to mislead coal miners about Sen. Barack Obama's record on guns.

The union wants to make sure voters know the facts before they head to the polls. Its members are standing up to support Obama and firing back on rumors that the Democratic presidential nominee is against the Second Amendment.

Coal miner and UMWA miner Jim Toothman blamed an NRA film crew that interviewed miners at the Blacksville No. 2 mine in Monongalia County last Wednesday.

"She asked me how I felt about losing my Second Amendment rights, and I didn't know I was going to," Toothman said. "She told me if Barack Obama was elected president, you'll probably lose your rights."

But the NRA tells WSAZ that Obama is not on the side of gun owners. The NRA gave Obama and his running mate Sen. Joe Biden "F" grades on the issue, while the Republican presidential nominee Sen. John McCain gets a "C plus" and his running mate Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin scores an "A".

But the UMWA said Obama supports the right to bear arms, and they want to make sure voters can separate fact from fiction.

The UMWA plans to hold a brief work stoppage at the mine to protest allowing the NRA crew on the site. We tried to contact the mine for comment, but our call was not returned.

According to a 2001 survey, 55 percent of West Virginians own guns. The state ranks fifth in the country in gun ownership behind Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and South Dakota.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/29438229.html

·
Vendor
5,619 Posts
If the pro-gun mine workers still believe that obama is pro-gun then they have been underground tooooooooooooooo long! :p

Like too many Americans... they have closed their eyes and ears and will not change their minds no mater what evidence you present to them. :roll:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Yea I think these old boy's are a little too trusting for my taste. I do think that the Dem's have not forgot about the losses they took over their gun control efforts (AWB) in the near past and with the ruling by SCOTUS, they will stay away from gun control issues for some time. It's a loosing position for any politician to be on the side of gun control. Which is good. I would like to here either candidate say "If elected I will sign into law a bill for U.S. all state wide CCW must issue" "This will be done at no cost to the citizen since the 2A protects their rights to do so anyway".

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
The dems don't have to worry about gun control, we have 4 republicans submitting a bill for it. I don't thnk republican means what it used to.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The dems don't have to worry about gun control, we have 4 republicans submitting a bill for it. I don't thnk republican means what it used to.
Ain't that some Horse Hocky?

·
Registered
356 Posts
As a WV native, I shake my head in shame at the ignorance of this group. Like how they say, "Obama supports the Second Amendment" but can't say how or offer up any proof? :oops: :( :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts