FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When not at the range, and just having the gun at home, I keep the mag loaded at 40 rounds.

Back in the 80's and 90's, underloading mags kept in storage was the practice. I still do it. Every once in a while, U run into a story of someone w/ a mag problem. HK's are known to have weak mag springs, so even today, its still applicable to some degree.

Anyway, as the mags are costing me $55-$60 a piece, I just prefer to do this for the mag I keep loaded.

Anyone else do this?

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
I keep mine ready at 50. I want to always have a consistent fire power.
The way I mitigate metal fatique is to rotate my mags to the "hot" and ready stage once a month.

I inspect the weapon, clean it, oil it, cycle the action a number of times and change out the mag.

It's a chore I do not mind.

-TH

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a handgun would be more than likely my 1st go-to gun, so I figure 40 rounds is more than enough if I DID have to grab it.

With a kid on the way, I can't leave stuff out like I'm used to. I've been forcing myself to pick stuff up now just to get in the habit. Otherwise, I may have worked out something to keep the PS90 in my bedroom.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I usually keep my mags unloaded, except for 2 Mags.

1x AK84 Mag loaded with 29 Rounds .223 Premium HP
1x P9 (CZ75) Mag loaded with 20 Rounds Black Talon

Both mags are underloaded by 1 or 2 rounds, and I still always know what's in. The Handgun Mag is in the safe, on a spring loaded tray, with the gun itself. When I open the safe, which takes me about 2 Seconds, it's ready to be picked up and used.

The AK Mag is only loaded for when I need more firepower, and therefor, it doesn't need to be accessed fast.

Everything else is empty, and for all rifles (except the AK), the bolt is removed and in a sepparated safe.

But hell, even if needed, I would not only have to rely on a Handgun, as there are razorsharp swords hanging on the walls in almost every damn room :mrgreen:

And ppl usually know, that a person with a sword is really really dangerous.(And I even had training for that kind of weapon)

So if I am at home, it's really stupid to even try to break in, and when not at home, the Alarm System is runnung, and Police would be here in less than 7 Minutes, which is about the time it would take to get past the 2 dogs ;-)

Reaper

PS. Who cares about Mag Springs? I had so many weapons, always had some mags loaded or not, and never had any issues.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's my understanding that compression doesn't adversely affect springs, rather it's the cycling from compressed to uncompressed & back again that wears it out. There were .45 mags still loaded from WWII that functioned just fine despite decades of full spring compression. However, as a personal test I have two mags in a dual mag clamp that I've kept fully loaded since I got my PS90's about 9 months ago. I periodically fire them dry to check reliability. Last check was little over a week ago and they still function fine.
Tomac

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we've all heard that 1911 story. And, there are some points. But I still believe that mags can and do occassionally wear out.

We'll never really know... For now, it's just our own personal opinions :wink:

I'll keep underloading mine, and U can keep yours loaded fully. :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a little firecracker P22, I worry about fatigue also. I keep one ready with 10 in the gun, the other loaded with 6. However that is for my wife. I have children so I keep it under lock and key. Not very convenient to be under lock and key. However if you do want to keep a rifle for personal defense in the home I'd recommend a cheap SKS. I keep an old SKS handy (got it all Bubba'ed out with a folder). Keep the ammo (two strippers) in a safe (away from the kids) and easy to get place. No fatigue and ready to go in under ten seconds! And no loaded guns to worry about for curious little minds. I keep everything else unloaded and locked away for obvious reasons but I also don't want to have worry about the fatigue. Truth about that is I usually don’t keep a large amount of ammo cause I shoot it all. :roll:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Tomac said:
However, as a personal test I have two mags in a dual mag clamp that I've kept fully loaded since I got my PS90's about 9 months ago.
I too keep this same setup. 100rnds of SS195 on tap is piece of mind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would worry more about the SS195 going bad than I would the magazine spring. I am not real worried about the lead free primer, but I have written the date of purchase on every box I have picked up. I doubt any will survive more than a couple of years, but you never know.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
grendelbane said:
I would worry more about the SS195 going bad than I would the magazine spring. I am not real worried about the lead free primer, but I have written the date of purchase on every box I have picked up. I doubt any will survive more than a couple of years, but you never know.
I thought I saw some discussions on another sight about the lead free primer and people not expecting it to last more than 10 years. U don't think it will go more than 2?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry!! When I said I didn't expect my SS195 to survive 2 years I meant that I would shoot it up before that time. I believe the 10 year term is probably more likely.

I have some of the Federal 9mm lead free primer ammo that is about 6 years old now. I intend to try shooting some of it soon.

I have started placing the purchase dates on much of my ammo, just to test for things like this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So then it would seem most underload then! I guess it's better to be safe then with bad springs then! :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tomac said:
It's my understanding that compression doesn't adversely affect springs, rather it's the cycling from compressed to uncompressed & back again that wears it out. There were .45 mags still loaded from WWII that functioned just fine despite decades of full spring compression. However, as a personal test I have two mags in a dual mag clamp that I've kept fully loaded since I got my PS90's about 9 months ago. I periodically fire them dry to check reliability. Last check was little over a week ago and they still function fine.
Tomac
Spring fatique/memory is real. A few years ago I help audit cases of MkII,III Stens with showed fatique in both the main bolt spring (remember it's open bolt) and in the magazines.

I heard that story about the .45 mags (though I never heard if they were 1911/Thompson/Grease gun, etc.) and suspect that unless you can lay hands on the NCO/Officer that did the inventory, its an Urban Myth.

Just for the record, I keep only 1 loaded firearm (my daily carry) and I rotate magazine weekly.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm with U, 134. But, anytime this issue comes up - it never seems to be settled among the 2 opposite sides :roll:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I keep all of my magazines fully loaded. I am under the impression that the act of loading and unloading is what wears out springs, not constant compression.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, my HK USPc springs are wearing out - won't always lock the slide back. I'm waiting on Wolf Springs now. HK springs are known to be weak.

Is it the compression or the use? I don't know - but this is another example. Better safe than sorry. I'll stick to underloading for now :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts