FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a little help on the topic of the new magazine restrictions Colorado will have going into effect on July 1, 2013. I bought a gun this past week and had to pay the $10 background fee and while at the local gun stores I talked to the guys behind the counters and to no surprise got two differing answers on the new laws.

My line of questioning basically revolved around 2 questions.

Question 1: If I buy a new Glock on July 2nd and it comes with a 13rd magazine am I allowed to take it home?

Answer 1: No, you can't take it home, since the magazine has a removable base plate it breaks the new law that will go into effect and we will have to send the magazine to CBI and they have to destroy it. In fact, any magazine with a removable base plate will be illegal under the new law. Hell, if you disassemble a magazine with a removable base plate and reassemble it, you have technically broken the law and have a "newly manufactured" high capacity magazine...

Answer 2: Yes, you can take it home, a judge here in Colorado ruled that if the magazine is under 15 rounds, just because it has a removable magazine base plate does not mean it falls into the ban, the magazine has to be manufactured to hold more than 15 rounds from the factory

Question 2: If I buy a new FsN can I take the gun home and leave the magazines?

Answer 1: Yes you can take the gun home, but we have to send the magazines to CBI to be destroyed. Also we have to notify the CBI and ATF that you purchased a gun that can accept a magazine over 15 rounds...

Answer 2: <Didn't ask the guy>

Last item of conversation was that guy 1 told me that starting on July 1, 2013 there will be an injunction in place that will nullify the new magazine restriction. He insinuated that the lawsuit that the Colorado Sheriffs, NRA, and other organizations filed will file the injunction.

Can anybody confirm what is actually going to be law with mags less than 15rds?

·
Registered
341 Posts
While I like to chit-chat with those at the counter at a gun store, they are typically not lawyers, while many are associated to law enforcement, some are active LE earning some part time money, but still, they are not really able to speak.
If you really want an answer maybe you could contact the State Attorney General's office.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts

Move to a free state.

Sorry I cannot answer your specific questions, but if you follow my advice you won't need to bother knowing the answers.

That is extremely helpful, that thought never crossed my mind.....Useless...

Right, I get it, you don't have choices. Poor you.
And it finally gets through your head, some of us have jobs and families
A real man would find a way to get his family out of there and raise them in a decent place where there liberty is honored and respected. Too bad you failed them and are too much of a pile of **** to do anything about it.

:eek:

·
Registered
714 Posts
A real man would find a way to get his family out of there and raise them in a decent place where there liberty is honored and respected. Too bad you failed them and are too much of a pile of **** to do anything about it.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Just moving out of the "affected areas" instead of staying to fight will screw everyone over time. The fewer firearms friendly states there are out there, the closer we get to Congress being able to repeal the 2nd Amendment or pass more "reasonable restrictions".

An anti-gun state, especially if it has one or more large cities, will eventually start bleeding people and politics into the surrounded states. Just look at the North East and how NYC effectively spread its politics to CT, MA, NJ, MD, etc. for an example of this. The same is now happening in the western states and is why Colorado and Western Texas are suddenly falling as well because of their proximity to California (LA/SF.)

Every state that falls will create two more anti-gun Senators and a number of ditto Representatives in the Federal Government. Consider that California has the highest number of Representatives in Congress of any state, this should scare the living daylights out of you if you enjoy your current freedoms.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just moving out of the "affected areas" instead of staying to fight will screw everyone over time...
There is some truth to this, monsterdog. But read the first post in this thread again. The OP is not asking about how to write his representatives or inquiring as to whether someone is organizing a protest. His question is about compliance. For him the fight is over, he has capitulated.

And how is that fight going for gun owners in California? Again, there I see mostly acceptance and people looking to get bullet buttons installed in order to be compliant with the rules of the nanny state.

Continuing to contribute tax dollars to your captors is insane, in my estimation. Imagine if the millions of gun owners in CA uprooted and left. Who would pick up the tax burden they left behind? Everyone else. And of those, the ones with the means to leave would get tired of the heavy tax burden and they would leave too. Eventually you are left with a failed state. Just look at Detroit if you want an example of what happens when the tax payers decide to take their contributions elsewhere.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just moving out of the "affected areas" instead of staying to fight will screw everyone over time
Maybe so, but maybe not. If people move to a different state they also move their tax contributions, their purchase, and their contribution to society.

If the only view of the liberal is that of the locust, in that they take their non-sustainable economic approach into an area with surplus and bleed it dry and move on, then taking the surplus away from them faster could disrupt their migration and break the cycle.

If the view of the liberal is one that a liberal is just ignorant and can be educated then leaving them to themselves would be detrimental to the cause, because no one would be there to give them access to another view of how the 2nd Amendment should be interpreted.

Those that came to the new land seeking religious freedom by leaving Europe and Europe's systems of government and religion did not "screw everyone over time", but instead created a foundation that was strong enough to survive even until now.

One thing seems certain to me, conservatives can't move into California as the liberals flee the state because the mess hasn't collapsed. If you moved in to California now, you would be met with tax burdens that are not conducive to business growth, so my point is conservatives can't go in and fill the vacancy and expect to change the mess. Now, if say the entire conservative population of Colorado and Texas took up residency in California then they might swing the state, but that isn't happening.

So, does that mean it is a lost cause, the war is lost, and that the best approach is to regroup with like minded people and hold out as long as possible? That surely has crossed many people's minds.

Maybe we try the approach of fail hard and fail fast, and tell the conservatives in Washington to "give the Administration everything they want, pass it all!" With the idea that the liberals can no longer blame the any messes on the conservatives and that the people will then wake up as the bus hits the canyon floor. That might work, but an economic depression could be the results, with our military reduced to "french" capabilities (I thought that was funny sorry) and the dollar lost to another currency, etc.

Or we continue as we are, swinging to the left, and to the right, and dying of mediocrity.

So tell me, who has the solution? Is it too late? Shall we just dig in and see if we can out last the fools that are wasting everything away? I doubt you can. Even if we became a Greece or Spain we would sputter on for many decades, just like they have.

So, do what you feel is right, and spread the ideals of freedom how you can.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
:th_greatpostsign:

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Or you have the bravery to stand and fight rather then run and hide like a little *****. But to each his own

I was born and raised in Colorado, I am what Colorado used to be, I will fight with all 54 sherrifs of the 64 counties, sometimes it is hard being a grownup

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
There is some truth to this, monsterdog. But read the first post in this thread again. The OP is not asking about how to write his representatives or inquiring as to whether someone is organizing a protest. His question is about compliance. For him the fight is over, he has capitulated.

And how is that fight going for gun owners in California? Again, there I see mostly acceptance and people looking to get bullet buttons installed in order to be compliant with the rules of the nanny state.

Continuing to contribute tax dollars to your captors is insane, in my estimation. Imagine if the millions of gun owners in CA uprooted and left. Who would pick up the tax burden they left behind? Everyone else. And of those, the ones with the means to leave would get tired of the heavy tax burden and they would leave too. Eventually you are left with a failed state. Just look at Detroit if you want an example of what happens when the tax payers decide to take their contributions elsewhere.
Oh I haven't given up, I have been busy with work and haven't kept up to date with the lawsuits, I still actively fight and support various senators and organizations.

My question pertained to what the laws interpretation is at this time. I still have yet to see a solid factual statement of what the purchase of a gun with a removable basplate will do. Senators will not know, they don't enforce the laws, they make them and the courts interpret them.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
marinedoc187 and rd_zzyzx you both make a really good point that I didn't consider, thanks :)

Staying or leaving, I don't know which alternative has a better chance at succeeding. Personally I would like to stay and fight until there is no other option than to leave. Nip it in the bud so to speak. That said, I am in the process of moving from a very (lost) anti-gun place to a slightly less anti-gun place within the same state, somewhat for the reasons you both laid out.

Taking your money and leaving will have the most impact if you have a lot of money. Sadly most of the lawmakers in these states are happy that firearms companies are leaving them behind. They would rather starve their population than compromise their ideology.

Ultimately people need to be educated about their rights, freedoms, and responsibilities and to embrace them fully, or those things will be gone. One of the reasons America has succeeded so far overall is because of its relatively small and fractured government model. However a lot of people are working very hard to centralize everything here, and on a global scale even governments which failed through centralization are calling for a world government to fix the problem by the same method which created it in the first place.

Perpetuating the problem in an attempt to fix it is insane. Consider European countries who pushed for higher and higher taxation to support ever expanding programs to keep people alive after having everything taken away because of taxation in the first place.

Maybe the solution lies in having voter rights within a "lost state" but to spend your money in a "free state"? That would be a pretty tough personal sacrifice though.

OK, enough braindump, sorry :) Yes, I can see that yanking the financial table cloth from under these states could work if we all do it at the same time.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would venture to say that the fight is over (depending on your outlook, it's lost if your an American, it's been won if you're a progressive) in California, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut at least. There are now battleground states like Colorado and others in which the opening skirmish of the war on freedom has been fought and won by the progressive forces, but the fight there is by no means over.

The difficulty is that, given sufficient time, the demographics of the progressive populations of this country will have their way in the end due to simple numerical superiority. Given fifty years, should I live so long, I expect to see Arizona, Texas, and Oklahoma firmly in the grasp of the progressives as well as many other states which are now holding tight to their traditional freedoms.

Sadly our government is currently in the process of creating eleven to twenty million new voters who, i can assure you, will be voting the progressive line in an overwhelming majority. It will be very interesting to watch the political evolution of this country for the next five decades as blue spreads across the country, and the red enclaves become smaller and more isolated....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
That is a pretty dystopian vision, but you may very well be right.

It does look like there is a new awakening going on though. Lots of recent first time gun-owners out there and should all these new voters actually be let in, they may want to adopt traditional American freedoms as well if they came from places where the lack of those freedoms kill every day. And recently I read that a large percentage of college kids thought they might become firearms owners in the future.

The best thing we can do is educate and preach, and of course vote for and fund the right people. Becoming a gun owner will automatically make you politically motivated I think. At least for most people. And the best thing we can do is convince the progressive voters that they too need a gun to be safe. Even from evil Republican or Libertarian monsters ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
The looters will eventually pounce on the free states. The real question is whether Atlas Shrugged is coming to life. Our Governor was shocked that Magpul did not accept the bribe of more government contracts.

There is no shame in fighting the stupid Colorado laws in the courts and in the legislature. The other question becomes intentional or unintentional civil disobedience and the risk of a misdemeanor conviction - which may lead to a DNA swab and disability like loss of gun rights.

Stay here or leave only delays the battle.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.