FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else underwhelmed about the FNH FN-15 at Shot Show? I was really hoping for an FNS compact for deeper concealed carry. A bare bones M4 for $1200? Just go to Palmetto State and get the same thing for a cheaper price. Think they have priced themselves out of the market again, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
All jokes aside though I partially agree with you on the FN-15. Its nice I guess if you do not own an AR but I don't know if I will personally be getting one. But then again.....WHO KNOWS :wink:

·
Registered
88 Posts
A FNS compact would've been great. A FNH Piston AR woulda been even better. There are sooooo many DI AR manufacturers out there already. As cool as it would be to have an FNH AR, at that price point I'll pass or spend a little more for a Piston setup.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is pretty telling how the industry responded as well. Just go to youtube and put in Shot Show 2014. There are NO videos of FNH products at all, nothing, nada, nunca, ZERO. Something tells me that FNH will put there heads back in the sand, and go back to their government contracts. Us peasants are not worth their time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
And I suppose that the guns that DID get the publicity were worthy? Please! A Glock single-stack .380? That's never ben done before, right? A Remington single-stack 9 mm.? Never heard of one, right? These are about ten years behind the times, and yet they are noteworthy? Can anybody tell me what WAS innovative at this year's show? I will look into it, and, if FNH has a better AR-15 for the price than the competition, I will buy it. If not, I won't. But PLEASE don't give me any bull**** about how the INDUSTRY responded, because they were head over heals for things that have been done ad infinitum, ad nauseam.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the Palmetto State product as good or better? Maybe. But if the FNH product is better, it will demand the price. The free market will determine. Personally, I also would like to SEE the FNS-9 in a compact version. But in all honesty, I'm able to carry an FNS-9 full-size pistol with little difficulty. Would I trade 18 rounds for 11 or 14? It would have to be a damn fantastic gun for that tradeoff!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It should also be noted that FNH didn't have an AR-15 entry until now. It's never a bad thing when products are entered into capitalistic competition. It can only drive improvement.

·
Registered
641 Posts
$1200 is its price point? Yikes, just get an identical SW MP15 for half that.

As much as I would have liked a piston powered MR556 competitor (and still really do), I see how FN execs would worry it could hurt SCAR16 sales.

They would have hit a home run by revealing a piston AR upper receiver by itself for 1600-1800.

·
Registered
480 Posts
FNH has a need for the FNH-15 for LEA(s) sales if they want to make a serious play at S&W, SIG or H&K as they have AR-15/16 products for the LEA(s) who want one contract. Many LEA(s) went to S&W because Glock does not have an AR-15/16. Another reason is since the SCAR 16 is a top tier (price to match) semi-auto rifle it allows FNH customers or new to FNH customers the option for a lower cost semi-auto rifle from FNH. In order for FNH USA to be a serious player the company will need products Military(s), LEA(s), LEO(s), PMC(s) and Civilian customers want or need in order to increase market share at a competitive price point. I would be a happy man to see FNH take market share from Glock for all market segments; an added benefit would be lower prices for a Glock which IMO should have a lower price point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is the Palmetto State product as good or better? Maybe. But if the FNH product is better, it will demand the price. The free market will determine. Personally, I also would like to SEE the FNS-9 in a compact version. But in all honesty, I'm able to carry an FNS-9 full-size pistol with little difficulty. Would I trade 18 rounds for 11 or 14? It would have to be a damn fantastic gun for that tradeoff!
+1...

·
Registered
218 Posts
$1200 is its price point? Yikes, just get an identical SW MP15 for half that.

As much as I would have liked a piston powered MR556 competitor (and still really do), I see how FN execs would worry it could hurt SCAR16 sales.

They would have hit a home run by revealing a piston AR upper receiver by itself for 1600-1800.
Except that FN has never been in the components market; they are in the firearms market. Complete, sustainable, high-quality guns...it's what they do. If you ever see FN sell just an Upper as anything other than a replacement or modular/swappable part for an already existing platform, I'll eat my hat.

As far as an FNS-Compact, I have a feeling they'll eventually get there. The FNH engineers seem to be a bit more...exacting...than some other manufacturers out there. When have you ever seen an FN product that you could consider "rushed to market"? Add in the fact that FN is the opposite of Glock (that is, a military manufacturer branching out into civilian sales, instead of a civilian manufacturer trying desperately to convince militaries that their product is better that it is and suitable for actual combat) and development, manufacture, and release times are naturally going to be longer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's pretty ridiculous that they're trying to sell it for 1200 dollars. Maybe it's because I am military and have shot their M-16, it was like every other AR I have shot minus those that are clearly made for competition, FN needs to get back in the game and serve their customers rather than a hypocritical government!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FNH makes the cold hammer forged barrels for Palmetto State Armory. PSA sells the barrels individually also. PSA also sells only uppers with said barrels. Not sure if FNH makes the entire upper. These FNH barrels also come in several different calibers. So yes, I would say their products are just as good of quality as FNH.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Meh... MSRP is $1200 so you will see some vendors selling these for around 1k...ish...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I really really want the 20" barrel version.

I think it will be available for under 1K at some time. The key will be if I am able to wait that long.

Who knows, maybe FNH will offer some rebates to entice people to buy early.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts