FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, I recently aquired a bolt action rifle and the only stamping on it is FN action made in belgium. it is stamped on the side of the reciever and I see no serial # anywhere, the barrel has no markings other than the caliber which is .243 j bird which I also cannot find info on. the barrel measures 27.5 from crown to reciever and the stock is a target style with the flat wide foreend and raised cheek also has the typical diamond inlays of an FN stock. Im hoping someone can help me on this gem and any info on the caliber/cartidge would be really appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
Welcome! :) Congrats on your FN Belgian Bolt Action Rifle! :?

Post some photos if you can it'll be very helpful. There's a wealth of knowledge in here, if someone here can't answer your question/s they'll surely steer you to someone who can.... :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Need pictures to help figure it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no ideas? well, after looking at the chamber a bit and checking fit i threw a trailboss load in standard .243 in and shot it and all went well. no change in dimensions of the brass so it seems to be standard .243 if that helps any. dont know what the j bird stamping is, its pretty small so maybe a custom barrel?

·
Premium Member
9,041 Posts
When you OP'd this I did some interweb searchin' and found J Bird or Jay Bird used frequently for cartridges I did not however find any reference to a .243 j bird. I think it's a good looking rifle, glad to hear it shot well too. Thanks for sharing this, keep us updated on what you find or not. :?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, thats what I came up with also. made a few calls and even lee reloading hasnt heard of it, figured if it was custom they may have made dies at some point, thats what made me think I was reading the barrel wrong. the 243 is large stamp the j bird is tiny stamp underneath not next to. next I have to check barrel twist and start working up loads, would love to know about the action and stock as far as if any of it is factory and year made but at the end of the day if it shoots good thats all that matters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently traded for an FN mauser. Your description is almost the same as my gun. Barrel is stamped 243 and has a P in a circle at top of barrel. My serial # begins with a J. It's a great shooter and I'm happy with it, but like you I would like more info on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts