FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FN's official position (I called them and even talked to a guy in service) is that you MUST SEND IN your SCAR if you needed a return spring replacement.

This is a consumable part any blind person can install...., As for returning the ENTIRE SCAR for a recoil spring is of course illogical, insane and absurd,
NO gun mfg. on earth has you send in the firearm for a recoil spring replacement, its pure lunacy

That is as insane as sending your Toyota Tacoma back to Toyota for a worn out rubber timing belt or fan belt.

I talked to a great guy just now at MIDWEST GUN WORKS, he said "we get calls ALL DAY LONG about SCAR parts, and why the &%*(@ are they never available"

Then he said: --- "we get back-orders for bolt heads , about 60 or so, but only get in about 20 or less ONCE A YEAR..........last time bolt heads were available was March of last year. All parts are already pre-sold, meaning that nobody can get spare SCAR parts from us"

He said last time SCAR return springs were available was "May of last year"

well, you MUST get SCAR PARTS thru MIDWEST GUN WORKS, and thats the official position of FN also.
......which means CONSUMABLE PARTS are essentially IMPOSSIBLE to get for your SCAR !

No matter how much you love or support FN, this fact is both miserable & completely absurd.

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
one of the many reasons i will NEVER own a SCAR

not saying its a bad rifle but there are just better options out there for cost, parts, and serviceability.

why someone would spend that amount of money on a rifle the manufacturer won't support is beyond me.

this is my opinion of course and worth what you paid for it.

·
Registered
627 Posts
one of the many reasons i will NEVER own a SCAR

not saying its a bad rifle but there are just better options out there for cost, parts, and serviceability.

why someone would spend that amount of money on a rifle the manufacturer won't support is beyond me.

this is my opinion of course and worth what you paid for it.
What are some better options? I've been thinking about building a lightweight 308AR.

·
Vendor
1,950 Posts
I'll size up a spring and get some made. I already went down this path a year ago, thinking about making a high energy spring to tame the bolt carrier when firing suppressed, but killed off the idea when tunable gas valves were developed. So I'll re-start it.

No way spring availability is limited because of excess demand. I think that with the SCAR patent expiring, FN know there is a market out there of people buying parts to build their own non-FN guns, so they don't want to make it any easier by making parts available to people who do not actually own the rifle.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'll size up a spring and get some made. I already went down this path a year ago, thinking about making a high energy spring to tame the bolt carrier when firing suppressed, but killed off the idea when tunable gas valves were developed. So I'll re-start it.

No way spring availability is limited because of excess demand. I think that with the SCAR patent expiring, FN know there is a market out there of people buying parts to build their own non-FN guns, so they don't want to make it any easier by making parts available to people who do not actually own the rifle.
That'd be great! Thank you, sir.

Reactions: Smurky

·
Premium Member
10,033 Posts
I don't know if you all have noticed, but we are in the middle of global supply chain issues and US firearms and ammo sales at all time highs.
FN sells large contracts to LEO/MIL and you are of no consequence to them.
These two statements sum up the situation pretty concisely.

Prior to the continuing sh*t storm that started in 2020, SCAR parts were at least attainable. Not common, mind you, and there was often a wait in between replenishments, but, with a little patience, you could get what you needed. SCAR parts have never, and will never be like AR parts. But I managed to squirrel away stuff back then with relative ease. Now days...well, we all know.

Fortunately the SCAR is pretty robust. But stuff breaks eventually, and spare parts are peace of mind.

Someday it will straighten out. That or the world will end. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I would like to see Shooting Sight get those return springs into production. That's a definite "add to cart" item.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts