FN Herstal Firearms banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I bought a SCAR so I don't have to contact support. Nothing even comes close for battle rifle durability. Not to mention dependability, accuracy, weight, low recoil, and being customizable.

I'm sorry spare parts aren't available for you right now, I really am, but I bet that you won't even need any parts before they come back in stock though.

After all of the ranting, there's still nothing wrong with your rifles and they work great. Enjoy 馃嵒
the HK MR 762 (Ive got 2 of em) beats it for reliability (special forces, delta force using same) , and the AK47 (a good one) by 1000 miles

Sorry, but you dont know what youre talking about.

ALL GUNS ON EARTH have CONSUMABLE PARTS , extractors, springs, etc. ALL

Registered
the HK MR 762 (Ive got 2 of em) beats it for reliability (special forces, delta force using same) , and the AK47 (a good one) by 1000 miles

Sorry, but you dont know what youre talking about.

ALL GUNS ON EARTH have CONSUMABLE PARTS , extractors, springs, etc. ALL
9.84 lbs! They had to leave sights off of it to keep it under 10 lbs. MR762A1 - Heckler & Koch 馃悥

An AK :). I thought the 1950's were over and I think I said battle rifle. Oh, you forgot about the M1903? :D

I think I'll sell my SCAR and head to the HK forum to wallow in the mud now. If only you'd joined this forum sooner to share the facts to enlighten us before we spent so much time enjoying our SCARs.

I'd rather have a superior product and poor support than an inferior product and great support.

Registered
9.84 lbs! They had to leave sights off of it to keep it under 10 lbs. MR762A1 - Heckler & Koch 馃悥

An AK :). I thought the 1950's were over and I think I said battle rifle. Oh, you forgot about the M1903? :D

I think I'll sell my SCAR and head to the HK forum to wallow in the mud now. If only you'd joined this forum sooner to share the facts to enlighten us before we spent so much time enjoying our SCARs.

I'd rather have a superior product and poor support than an inferior product and great support.
Also, doesn鈥檛 the MR762 cost more and not even come with a chrome lined barrel?

Registered
I was told by FN that NRCH retrofit kits should be coming this year. I wonder if that might also have something to do with the lack of spare parts currently?

Vendor
The last of the non-FN parts needed to make a non-FN SCAR are being developed by the private sector. Until then, FN will not likely sell parts, as they do not want to lose the substantial profit these rifles carry - think about it, the entire extruded upper and injection molded lower design was made to save money versus an AR that starts with a forging that needs a bunch of follow-up machining. And yet, you can build an AR for under $500 .... so the $2,000 plus SCAR design has a HUGE profit margin.

By limiting parts sales, people can not easily build using 90% of the after market parts available, and buying the last 10% from FN. As soon as those last 10% parts are available, FN has to drop their price.

Lowers are available, uppers are available, triggers, barrels, I know someone working on end plates. I think bolts and bolt carriers are some of the last, and people are working on those. Generic brand SCARs are coming.

Registered
I hear what you're saying. The uppers and lowers are inexpensive to make. All of the other bits on it are not cheap though. Taking a $10 A2 flash hider compared to a $100 PWS muzzle device isn't fair. Along those same lines, it seems a bit inaccurate to price compare a $500 Palmetto AR-15 to a SCAR. We should at least compare it to a similar rifle like a lightweight, piston driven, 308 AR with a CHF, CL barrel. The price difference isn't so drastic then. Also build quality and quality control from a premium defense contractor is worth something. Having higher paid pros with more rigorous inspection protocols put a rifle together and check it is more valuable than Palmetto assembly, IMHO, even though I don't know what either of their processes are.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what the market brings forth.

Registered
^^^ Prior to deciding on the SCAR 17 I was leaning toward the Robarms XRCM, I decided the price difference3 wasn't far enough apart to choose what I considered a lesser rifle.
Same here. Those are nice! Good design. Could be a contender, IMHO, if they'd improve the plain, 4140, button rifled barrel. If it had a 4150 CHF, CL barrel that shot 1 MOA, I'd be more tempted to get one too.

The website needs to list more of the specs and build materials too XCR-M Standard - Robinson Armament Co.
I forgot how much one of those weighs.

Registered
I hear what you're saying. The uppers and lowers are inexpensive to make. All of the other bits on it are not cheap though. Taking a $10 A2 flash hider compared to a $100 PWS muzzle device isn't fair. Along those same lines, it seems a bit inaccurate to price compare a $500 Palmetto AR-15 to a SCAR. We should at least compare it to a similar rifle like a lightweight, piston driven, 308 AR with a CHF, CL barrel. The price difference isn't so drastic then. Also build quality and quality control from a premium defense contractor is worth something. Having higher paid pros with more rigorous inspection protocols put a rifle together and check it is more valuable than Palmetto assembly, IMHO, even though I don't know what either of their processes are.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what the market brings forth.
i agree. the scar is "expensive", but there are other precision gas guns in that price range that aren't as accurate, and have to be cleaned way more often than a scar 20s. in the end, i can rationalize anything if i want it enough. :p

Vendor
Dunno, a muzzle device is a muzzle device. In both cases (assuming they are investment cast), the process is identical, and the shape you are casting does not matter. Price is driven by the process and the economy of scale. If you make 10,000 AR muzzle devices, they might cost less than if you make 1,000 boutique castings (especially if the 10,000 justifies finding a Chinese manufacturer), but at the end of the day, cast steel costs the same regardless of the shape you are casting. So your $ 100 PWS muzzle device is not 10x as good as the AR muzzle device, it is just 10% as efficient to manufacture.

SCAR costs less to make than an AR if you compare similar volumes, but SCAR is a boutique gun, while AR is a commodity. Give it a few years, and SCAR will cost less than AR.

Registered
SCAR costs less to make than an AR if you compare similar volumes, but SCAR is a boutique gun, while AR is a commodity.
Good point. I appreciate your insight. You know way more about manufacturing than me.

Give it a few years, and SCAR will cost less than AR.
Looking forward to those days! 馃嵒

Premium Member
Right on....picked up three. I should be set well into early senility now.

• Haha
Reactions: Kai and Kansas boy

Premium Member
Man....I have ordered from ShootingSight before, and I wondered how in the hell it was delivered in 24 hours. I had no idea I live in the same city. Now I know. Return Springs, here I come.

Vendor
how close to the specs are they to the factory???? small worries about cycling issues if any
These are industry standard music wire with the same wire diameter, coil diameter, number of coils, and same free length as the OEM. Ends are wound flat like the OEM. Net, I expect performance to be exactly like factory.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts