FN Herstal Firearms banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Ordered one Friday. Have you always used Paypal? I don't remember going through them on previous orders from you. but then again I'm old memory aint what it used to be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll size up a spring and get some made. I already went down this path a year ago, thinking about making a high energy spring to tame the bolt carrier when firing suppressed, but killed off the idea when tunable gas valves were developed. So I'll re-start it.

No way spring availability is limited because of excess demand. I think that with the SCAR patent expiring, FN know there is a market out there of people buying parts to build their own non-FN guns, so they don't want to make it any easier by making parts available to people who do not actually own the rifle.
If those springs ever materialize I’d definitely be interested.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
one of the many reasons i will NEVER own a SCAR

not saying its a bad rifle but there are just better options out there for cost, parts, and serviceability.

why someone would spend that amount of money on a rifle the manufacturer won't support is beyond me.

this is my opinion of course and worth what you paid for it.
What option? I own everything worth having and the SCAR is the best of the pile to date.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What option? I own everything worth having and the SCAR is the best of the pile to date.
I think I asked the same question and didn't get a reply yet. It'd be very hard to beat the SCAR with its combat proven reliability, durability, accuracy, lightweight, and customizability (is that a word?). The other options that I know of seem to fall short in one or more of these areas.

Reactions: Fröman

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I think I asked the same question and didn't get a reply yet. It'd be very hard to beat the SCAR with its combat proven reliability, durability, accuracy, lightweight, and customizability (is that a word?). The other options that I know of seem to fall short in one or more of these areas.
I'm over 13,000rds in and on my 2nd recoil spring but this thing will still turn in nickel sized groups with FGMM. I can't blast through .308 they way I do 5.56 but even my best CHF ARs start opening up the groups after 10k or so. The other components on my ARs start looking pretty beat up also but the insides of this SCAR merely burnish slick as a whistle with very little evidence of wear, fatigue or galling.

Now this could be because I've used a ton of Lubriplate SFL-0 grease inside of my SCAR since 2013 when such a thick lubricant would gum up an AR to unusable levels real quick. That being said no amount of wonder-grease is going to keep that barrel printing like that and give me that consistent bolt lockup that many rounds in.

I've noticed that my gas piston ring isn't quite as hard to remove but still seals perfectly tight. Could it have finally "seated" like piston rings on an engine? If so that means the break in period for a SCAR-17 is 11,000rds when properly lubricated, lol

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
They have 17 firing pins also:

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
Yeah, that stuff got here fast. I ordered a small gaggle of parts (few each of : firing pins, return springs, guide rods, ejector springs and a couple other things...pretty much anything useful they had in stock) last Wed night and had it all in my mailbox on Sat.
I hope this is a precursor to more parts availability and not some sort of tease.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just called FN and MGW. MGW is still expecting spare parts shipments from FN, and the FN rep I spoke with confirmed this. FN just does not want to sell spare parts, and prefers MGW to do it. MGW says it’s just a long wait right now for most spare parts.

This puts me on the fence about buying a SCAR 16 vs B&T APC Pro 223 (if and when they come out).

61 - 80 of 121 Posts