FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As recorded already, my FNX 9 which failed to complete its DA cycle after some moderate heating up, came back. Passed two 'hair dryer tests' went through much dry firing, and now back out to the range to compete with a somewhat slicked up HK P30S. It did OK at 7 yards. I easily dialed into the HK and printed tight groups at 7 yards.

FNX9, not so much, but it showed some potential. When I concentrated enough with the heavy DA, I hit fairly well. But I thought... "maybe I should have sold it instead of buying more mags..."

Before I left, I noted 3 mags of ammo I failed to fire. So, I thought, "heck lets try 20 yards." After about 30-40 rounds each, all in DA, the FN 'bested' the HK. Maybe I dialed into the FN finally, and maybe the HK sights are a tad off (shooting left and I did them). But, the FN did pretty darn well, and I actually had 'one group' going when I really concentrated. The gun hits at 7 and 20 dead on. The DA may be a tad heavy, but is very smooth and manageable. I actually got into this gun at 20 yards. It is very accurate in a practical way and at range this to me is impressive. I am not the best long range shot.

My one remaining problem is the 'bitey' safety. The position of the safety is GREAT as a decocker, and great at access as a safety to flip on and off, but I MUST grip with my support hand thumb VERY wide to avoid the sharp edge of the left rear side of the safety. FN should have either stuck to the FNP design, or should refit these with a dehorned safety lever - although I think I can train around it.

So for an gun that has decent OTB sights, LIGHT weight, high cap "X" design, decent ambi controls, great slide serrations, smooth DA pull, light SA, and a useable safety, this is PDG. And, it shoots steel cased ammo well. Right now, I am warming up to it.

Glad I put her to the 20 yard test.

(Of course in the perfect world ALL combat pistols should have the Walther P99 mag releases).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe it's the fact that I'm a lefty, but I've never had issues with the safety on either FNX (40 or 45) that I have. It has been a great carry weapon in my rotation, although I wish they'd made a version of the 9/40 that was factory milled for RDS, like my M&P is. That will likely be my next project, getting the 40 slide sent off to be milled. The fact that I can use the same holsters as my full size M&P due to very similar dimensions on the slide and trigger well is an added bonus.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correct. I have an AIWB holster for my M&P 40 FS that the FNX-40 fits just fine, just ever so slightly more snug, but very workable. I regularly swap out the M&P for the FNX-40 in my carry rotation, using the same holster. FNS pistols fit in the same holsters as well. Give me a few and I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same holster, first pic with the M&P 40 FS, second with the FNX-40. Excuse the FDE backstrap; I need to order a new slim one. Took that one from the 45 since I carry the 40 semi regularly. 9mm versions have the same external dimensions.

20200915_212743.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. What holster is that? Does it also have a sweat shield?

Is it a GENERAL rule that FNS and FNP holsters fit the FNX?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know about the FNP, but the FNX and FNS have very similar external dimensions. Obviously the 45 version is different and won't fit (much like with the M&Ps), but the 9/40 versions are basically the same dimension wise IIRC.

The holster is a Ronin 2.0 by LAS concealment. They're made to order and generally have a decent turnaround time. They specialize in IWB holsters, particularly AIWB. I also have a Rampart from them for my M&Pc. The Ronin that I have doesn't have a full sweat shield that covers the entire slide, but that's also an older model. The newer version might have a more substantial one, although they're only making certain holsters for left handed at the moment. I was lucky and got this one a while back when they still made their whole line with left handed versions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have an FNX-9 and HK VP9 and the HK sight is a bit different than the FNX-9. Since I use both I train with both. I have not had any issues with the safety lever on my FNX-9. I am right handed to I can flip the safety if need be very quickly on the side of my FNX. I can even decock the hammer without too much effort.

Firing my FNX-9 left handed is possible and use the left thumb to flip the safety on the righthand side instead. I have owed my FNX-9 since June of 2014 and VP9 that I bought in September of 2014.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really think the biggest detractor is the safety - not in operation, but in the way it bites the thumb joint - I can work around it, but that is the point. They could have actually made the grip purchase higher if not for this.

I really love the slide shape and serrations - best in breed. I also really like the ambi slide release. Trigger shape is perfect and very easy on the finger. Having it be on dual action trigger bar is also a big plus and leads to a smoother pull. If they slacked off the hammer spring 10% this would be about 9-10 LBS and perfect. Like the short extractor - better setup than many. IMHO optimally sized gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In 9mm it's very comparable to the G45; which has the shorter 4" barrel of the G19 but the 17 round capacity of the G17. The M&P 2.0 compact 4" is in that same category if you use the grip extension for FS mags.

I do wish the FNX-40 had the 15 round mag like my FS M&P, but I may just run it primarily in 9mm once my EFK conversion barrel gets here. I'm with you on the DA pull though. The 45 trigger sits a little too far forward with the hammer down for me to run DA on that, but it's much more manageable with the 9/40, with the smaller grip and all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts