FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been a few months since I jubilantly OP'd this thread. I figured it was only fair since a great many of you actually helped in the decision making process that I post a few photos and describe what's been accomplished to date. Oh and I apologize for the photo quality, I promise when it's complete I'll use my real camera instead of my Photon.

View attachment 28158 View attachment 28159

Obviously it's a FN SCAR 16s in the most accurate of colors....black.

What's been done so far;

Geissele: Super SCAR Trigger
Stryker Ent: E.A.C.H.
Stryker Ent: S.O.A.M.R.
PMM: Quick Disconnect Sling Mounts (Front & Rear)
Magpul: MOE+ Grip w/MOE AA/AAA Storage Core
Magpul: AFG2 Angled Fore Grip
Magpul: SSG Selector Set
Magpul: Pmag 30rd Gen 3 w/Ranger Plate Gen 3 (quantity is a closely guarded secret)
Tango Down: Aluminum Stock Latch
Tango Down: SCAR Panel 4.125" (2)
Tango Down: SCAR Panel 2" (1)
Savvy Sniper: QUAD X Cobra Dual QD MS Sling
Rounds down the pipe: 300 M855's & 40 62gr Fusion's

What's soon to be done;

ADM: Recon SW-34 Scope Mount (provided by Stryker Ent.) Done: 06/18/2014
Leupold: Mark 6 1-6x20, CMR-W Scope (provided by Stryker Ent.) Done: 06/18/2014
Surefire: M300 or M300V Scout Weapon Light Order Changed to M300B-BK 06/19/2014
Surefire: SL07 Switch for Scout Weapon Light Available Late 2014 per Surefire
Gear Sector: GS-3120 Surefire Scout Offset Mount Arrived: 6/19/2014
Tango Down: Pocket Panel 4.125" (Surefire) Arrived: 6/19/2014

What's left to be done;

BATFE/NFA: Trust completed Suppressor Only 6/19/2014
BATFE/NFA: Necessary stamps acquired Suppressor Only 6/19/2014
FNH USA: OEM 14" Barrel Changed to 14?" Chopped Stock Barrel 6/19/2014
Surefire: SF3P-556-1/2-28 Flash Hider / Suppressor Adapter Ordered 6/19/2014
Surefire: SOCOM556-RC or SOCOM556-MINI Suppressor (I may go the "Monster" route, undecided)

What I'd like to have done;

Shooting Sight: Rectangular Rear Aperture
Trijicon: HD type Front Sight Post
FNH USA: Mk16 "S1A" Trigger Module (only required if Tac-Con releases their proposed SCAR trigger)
Cerakote: Tastefully done in Magpul OD Green
Redi-Mag: Modified to fit and lightened like the Redi-Mod version
Unknown: Modified Gas Block to accept M9 Bayonet (not the Belgian version which clamps to barrel, NO!)
Unknown: More aggressively angled recoil pad (thought a member was working on one)
Unknown: Buttstock watertight 2032 battery storage solution

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Just cause I like to play devils advocate, why are you going with the 14" barrel? Wouldn't the 10" be more fun? :mrgreen:

Also, when you do file to SBR, file like your going to use the 10" so that way you can go shorter in the future if you want. You wont be stuck at a length between 14" or longer. Just an idea.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Also, when you do file to SBR, file like your going to use the 10" so that way you can go shorter in the future if you want. You wont be stuck at a length between 14" or longer. Just an idea.
You really don't get stuck with the barrel length listed, you can go shorter than what you have listed you just need to keep what is listed also or amend the barrel length.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You make a valid point Kev and once again your input proves invaluable regarding the SBR 10" filing. My reasoning for the 14", where it is true a 10" would be handier say for vehicular carry, look more menacing and offer some advantages for HD but......it is limited in range and doesn't fit my idea of a versatile "fighting stick". I will however file as a 10" SBR should a wild hair sprout up but for now and the foreseeable future it will remain a true SCAR 16/Mk16 with it's intended 14" barrel.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could then file with the 10" measurement as the shortest OAL and the 14" being the longest OAL, correct? In essence covering my @$$ both ways...

You really don't get stuck with the barrel length listed, you can go shorter than what you have listed you just need to keep what is listed also or amend the barrel length.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
It has really come along nicely. It's really going to roll in to funkytown when the Mark 6 gets nested on there.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I'm with Kev, make it a 10" barrel. Oh and you forgot to list this under What needs to be done:

-FN SCAR 17s (in black) :wink:

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you AK,

I appreciate that, I think so too. The two most evident improvements to date are the Geissele trigger and Stryker S.O.A.M.R. (in your case the S.M.O.R.E) man what a difference they make. I know once the Mark 6 is mounted the virtues of the E.A.C.H. will become evident as well and I am very anxiously awaiting the Leupy's arrival. One thing strikes me, this li'l 5.56 pea shooter is sinfully accurate, having only had it out shooting twice now, it's shooting sub-MOA and I find that remarkable. Yes, I know I need to post photos of my targets and I will if only I could remember to save them, old habits are hard to break.

Reactions: Smurky

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I could then file with the 10" measurement as the shortest OAL and the 14" being the longest OAL, correct? In essence covering my @$$ both ways...
You need to file for what barrel you plan on keeping be it 14" or 10" but if you file for a say 14" you can run a 10" also you just have to keep on barrel that matches your form say a 14".
This is why guy that SBR AR's they will keep a dedicated upper that matches the form but also run multiple uppers longer and shorter and different calibers. As long as you keep one barrel/setup that matches your form your good.

My SCAR SBR i'm filing for a 10" setup but plan on also having a 14" to go with it.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
NO! :biggrin: For now at least on the 10" although I will file the appropriate paperwork just in case. As for the 17s, no on that too! I already own a .308 my pre-64 Winchester Model 70 and I dare a 17s to out shoot it, it IS a tack driver farther out than a 17s could even dream of shooting.

I'm with Kev, make it a 10" barrel. Oh and you forgot to list this under What needs to be done:

-FN SCAR 17s (in black) :wink:

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huh? So I can setup a 14" permanently speaking and swap to a 10" temporarily or will I need another upper which in the SCAR's case is another firearm. I'm confused?

You need to file for what barrel you plan on keeping be it 14" or 10" but if you file for a say 14" you can run a 10" also you just have to keep on barrel that matches your form say a 14".
This is why guy that SBR AR's they will keep a dedicated upper that matches the form but also run multiple uppers longer and shorter and different calibers. As long as you keep one barrel/setup that matches your form your good.

My SCAR SBR i'm filing for a 10" setup but plan on also having a 14" to go with it.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Huh? So I can setup a 14" permanently speaking and swap to a 10" temporarily
Once it is SBRed you keep "your" 14" as primary configuration and yes swap in a 10" from time to time.

will I need another upper which in the SCAR's case is another firearm. I'm confused?
Another SCAR upper would require another SBR Stamp. The other upper comment I made is to an AR SBR since AR uppers are not the firearm.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
It's been a few months since I jubilantly OP'd this thread. I figured it was only fair since a great many of you actually helped in the decision making process that I post a few photos and describe what's been accomplished to date. Oh and I apologize for the photo quality, I promise when it's complete I'll use my real camera instead of my Photon.

View attachment 28158 View attachment 28159

Obviously it's a FN SCAR 16s in the most accurate of colors....black.

What's been done so far;

Geissele: Super SCAR Trigger
Stryker Ent: E.A.C.H.
Stryker Ent: S.O.A.M.R.
PMM: Quick Disconnect Sling Mounts (Front & Rear)
Magpul: MOE+ Grip w/MOE AA/AAA Storage Core
Magpul: AFG2 Angled Fore Grip
Magpul: SSG Selector Set
Magpul: Pmag 30rd Gen 3 w/Ranger Plate Gen 3 (quantity is a closely guarded secret)
Tango Down: Aluminum Stock Latch
Tango Down: SCAR Panel 4.125" (2)
Tango Down: SCAR Panel 2" (1)
Savvy Sniper: QUAD X Cobra Dual QD MS Sling
Rounds down the pipe: 300 M855's & 40 62gr Fusion's

What's soon to be done;

ADM: Recon SW-34 Scope Mount (provided by Stryker Ent.)
Leupold: Mark 6 1-6x20 Scope (reticle undecided but leaning towards CMR-W)
Surefire: M300 or M300V Scout Weapon Light
Surefire: SL07 Switch for Scout Weapon Light
Gear Sector: GS-3120 Surefire Scout Offset Mount
Tango Down: Pocket Panel 4.125" (Surefire)

What needs to be done;

BATFE/NFA: Trust completed
BATFE/NFA: Necessary stamps acquired
FNH USA: OEM 14" Barrel
Surefire: SF3P-556-1/2-28 Flash Hider / Suppressor Adapter
Surefire: SOCOM556-RC or SOCOM556-MINI Suppressor (I may go the "Monster" route, undecided)

What I'd like to have done;

Shooting Sight: Rectangular Rear Aperture
Trijicon: HD type Front Sight Post
FNH USA: Mk16 "S1A" Trigger Module (only required if Tac-Con releases their proposed SCAR trigger)
Unknown: Modified Gas Block to accept M9 Bayonet (not the Belgian version which clamps to barrel, NO!)
Unknown: More aggressively angled recoil pad (thought a member was working on one)
Unknown: Buttstock watertight 2032 battery storage solution
Just cool man, just cool.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Tal,

For clearing this up for me, I will definitely get the OEM 14" not so sure about the 10" but maybe sometime in the far off future. :?

Once it is SBRed you keep "your" 14" as primary configuration and yes swap in a 10" from time to time.

Another SCAR upper would require another SBR Stamp. The other upper comment I made is to an AR SBR since AR uppers are not the firearm.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dobe,

I know right! It took some time and doing but it is coming together nicely. :?

Just cool man, just cool.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE:

Most don't know that locating my Leupy for a good price has not been easy. Lo and behold Sarge has done it again, not only have I just ordered my Recon SW mount but he gave me a great price on the Leupy and they will BOTH be shipped together and soon. WAY TO GO SARGE! Thank you! :?

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks LESTER,

She sure will be, I'm going to be one proud SCAR Poppa ever willing to show her off at the range. In light of the fact that few range patrons own SCAR's it makes ownership and parenthood even more prestigious. I do hope some of the local members will join me on a SCAR dominated range excursion one day soon. I should be able to zero the Leupy not this but next Saturday. Pure AWESOMENESS!

:smile:SEAMAC! SHE SURE IS GOING TO BE A BEAUTY WHEN YOU GET HER ALL FINISHED:?

Reactions: LESTER
1 - 20 of 65 Posts