FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The model AXR is an AUG based rifle that uses M16 or AR-15 magazines are being currently produced and tested by Tactical Product Design (TPD) in Oregon and will be available sometime in June this year.

The AXR test rifle by TPD shown in 16" barrel and will also be availabe in 18" and more lengths after the initial production

AXR barrel extension

Bolt groups

Gas pistons

Gas adjustment knob subassembly

Barrel assembly with TPD designed vertical grip

Fluted barrel to lessen the weight

Barrel release button behind the vertical grip

Rear magazine release lever, note there is a second mag release button located at the left side of the mag well

Safety button

CAD drawing of the rail for the original AUG A2 receivers, these will be out with the rail for their reciever which mounts differently.
This mounts from the front rather than from the rear. PAT PEND

Edited to add this pic: Magpul Industries and TPD R&D are working on a new clear AR-15/ M16 NATO PMAG shown here are test articles only, production clear PMAGs will be black smoke and green smoke tint.
Standard solid colors (black, dark earth and O.D. green) Magpul PMAG are available now but in short supply from your Magpul dealers.

Added 5/06/07 The foreground gas block and barrel is the way TPD does it. Material cell structure is well maintained, and color.
The background barrel is installed in a way that is less desirable per TPD's opinion.

Added 5/06 Here is a picture of the experimental TPD-PMAG. Magpul manufactures these for TPD. It is Magpul's PMAG design, their mold, the new material TPD hoped would work in their mold. They will come in a smoke tint as well. Things look good so far, more testing to do.

Added 5/21 The latest photo from Kent their US made FDE (Flat Dark Earth) color AXR stock

Added 5/31 - CAD drawing of standard rail PAT PEND

Added 5/31 - CAD dwg another view of std rail PAT PEND

Added 5/31 - CAD dwg of midlength rail PAT PEND

The AXR rifle is different from the other American made AUG style rifle which is the STG-556 by M.S.A.R., the AXR uses the Steyr AUG M16 NATO conversion stocks which uses M16 and AR-15 magazines, it will not take the standard Steyr AUG or the STG-556 magazines.

The AXR rifles will initially use the original Steyr stock conversions but will be following it up with US made stocks with a more improved and stronger materials.

TPD is currently developing clear magazines with Magpul Industries which is the same as the PMAG but will be clear smoke and clear green tint colors.

The estimated selling price will be under $2K and will include a hard case, it will be available in more than three colors which I will update this info at a later date when it get finalized.

Tactical Product Design's website is currently under construction but will be on-line in a very short time from now, I'll post it here when available.

The basic AXR model will be the Liberty series which will not include sights, the user may accessorize as the user sees fit, approx. cost under $2K around mid June this year.

It will also be available with other upgraded model series which will include sights and other accessories, I'll update this thread for more info.

ADDED info from TPD:

Tactical Product Design - TPD

Type of firearm: Bull pup Rifle, semi automatic

Operation: Gas operated rotating bolt, short piston

Caliber: 5.56 (.223) or 6.8mm SPC

Rate of Fire: S/A 150 RPM

Barrel Groups: 16” chrome lined, 18” chrome lined 41L40 chrome moly steel, stainless steel

Overall Length: 26.25”, 30.25”

Sights: Any optics with mil picatinny interface, folding open sights standard

Stock: High impact synthetic black or range of color options

Safety: Two position slide lock

Magazine type: TPD-PMAG translucent, NATO spec M16

This is a faithful representation of the original AUG™, with some significant material and design upgrades.

As was standard with the original the barrel is quick removable in a few seconds, fluted option folding fore grip

Rail optics interface is removable and several options available including an extended rail with picatinny rails at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions

Adjustable gas system

Original forward assist configuration

Last round hold open

Secondary magazine release in optimal position for quick magazine changes

Receiver fully machined on cutting edge CNC equipment
Tolerances held to above industry standard, 356 T6 series aluminum

OEM cleaning kits

Fully supported spare parts system and training systems available for the AXR™

You will not find a secondary bolt release on the AXR. This feature was investigated and it was decided to leave it off the AXR™. This feature was not originally available on the AUG™, and we felt that a more faithful rendition of the rifle was the right choice.

The AXR can release the bolt as the original; a quick draw of the non-reciprocating charge handle will release the bolt, as originally designed and integrated.

No other existing firearms parts have been integrated into or onto the AXR™, the design was and still is sound.

What has changed on the AXR™ are the materials used to manufacture the rifle. This is a thirty year old design, yet today it is still unmatched and unrivalled in performance, reliability, and durability.

What T.P.D. has done is simple yet effective:

Crucial springs are now made from Inconel™ a super alloy, rather than music wire or other low grade materials.

Superior finishes are used to coat the metal parts of the AXR™. Both Teflon filled and ceramic filled finishes are used given the performance demand of the part.

The most significant change to the original will be the use of the NATO standard magazines rather than a proprietary magazine configuration. This will give the user both an ample supply of existing magazines and compatibility with other users in the field.

We at Tactical Product Design have taken every step to insure that this faithful recreation will be every bit as durable, reliable, field able, and accurate as the original. In fact we are convinced that we have manufactured a product that in many ways is superior to the original.

Note: All info added are directly from Kent Luttrell of T.P.D. LLC.

Contact e-mail: [email protected]

TPD USA website: http://www.tpdusa.com/index.php

The other US made AUG style rifle is the M.S.A.R. model STG-556

Edited fixed photo link

The STG-556 is different from the AXR and Steyr AUG because it uses an AUG style semi transparent magazines but could be used with their STG-556 rifle and the original Steyr AUG, the original Steyr AUG magazines will not work on the STG-556.

The STG-556 also have a forward bolt assist similar to the AR-15 exept it's located at the left side of the stock.

A bolt hold/ release lever at the left side mag well, similar to the AR is also another feature that had been added to the STG-556.

Quick detach 14", 16" and 20" Mil-Spec steel and chrome lined barrels will be available as well as a dedicated one piece suppressor-barrel assembly.

Rail options are Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny rail system will be available in three lengths, long, medium and short plus three sizes of side rails.

Magazines sizes are 10, 20, 30 and 42 rounds.

Available stock colors are black, tan and O.D. green.

A Pelican hard case and a Microtech knife with matching rifle stock color will be included with the first 1,500 limited edition rifles sometime in (WAS April-May) NOW May-June this year at an estimated price of around $2,100.

After the 1,500 limited edition rifle package are gone the price of just the rifle will be $2,100.

Click on the M.S.A.R. link below and they have a pdf file download for more detailed info.

The first video link of the MSAR STG 556:

http://www.msarinc.com/

Note: Added availability date of the STG-556 rifle.
Added info from TPD 3/28/07
Added TPD contact info 3/30
Added/ Revised STG-556 added pics, magazine info, price, availability date & video link 5/02
Added TPD USA website link 5/02
Added TPD pictures of gas block and experimental clear PMAGs 5/06
Added TPD picture of US made FDE color AXR stock 5/21
Added TPD CAD drawings of rails 5/31
Fixed broken MSAR STG-556 photo link 8/31

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ShipWreck said:
That is super sweet but super expensive. Wish I could get 1.
They're not that expensive compared to the FN FS2000 and like my tricked out AR-15 M4 carbine (also about $2K with tactical stocks, rails, VFG, light and optic) which are about the same cost, but you get a free hard case with these new AUG style rifles, the FN and AR don't include anything.

If you also compare these to like my two original Steyr AUG A1, the original AUGs are more expensive at $3K+ for A1 models and around $4K to $7K for the A2 models with only the top rails.

It's great that these companies are going to start making them soon, they will also sell AUG parts and I'm planning to get a receiver with rails so I could use different types of optics on my AUGs.

My A1 AUGs only have the factory fixed 1.5X S&B optics with circle reticle and I want to use some red dot optics and also weaponlights.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Axiom said:
ever since seeing Diehard 1, I've thought those style of guns are too neat.
How about the '91 movie Harley Davidson (Mikey Rourke) and the Marlboro Man (Don Johnson).

Most of those movies the bad guys are using the AUG. :?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Added detailed info from TPD to my first post.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
I liked that Harley Davidson movie - it was funny with Micky Rourke not being able to hit anything.

Man, that Aug looks sweet :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can see one of those in my safe when they come out. :D Is the AXR going to come with a pelican case as well?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fn_ps90 said:
Is the AXR going to come with a pelican case as well?
Sorry it took longer to answer your question but I asked the TPD rep your question and I just got his answer now.

Yes, the rep said the first undetermined AXR rifles will have a free hard case but not Pelican, it would be another comparable brand case.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wlcohen said:
I emailed a contact on their website but have yet to hear back from them
I assume you contacted M.S.A.R. which are really busy testing their STG-556 rifle for the April - May estimated release date.

A lot of guys at the other sites also have the same problem with them not returning their messages but they might contact everyone when they're not too busy anymore.

·
Banned
41 Posts
bah ... looks like right hand only AUG should've made it convertable like the original .... Leftys want bullpups too !!!! :cry:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wildcard said:
bah ... looks like right hand only AUG should've made it convertable like the original .... Leftys want bullpups too !!!! :cry:
The pictures only show right hand versions but the two companies that makes the AXR and STG-556 rifles will be also making them in left hand models after the right hand models are released.

If you take a look at the Microtech website link that I posted on my first post and download the pdf file for the STG-556, take a look at the second picture from the top, it shows "Optional Left or Right Hand Ejection Port". :)

·
Banned
41 Posts
AR-15SP1 said:
The pictures only show right hand versions but the two companies that makes the AXR and STG-556 rifles will be also making them in left hand models after the right hand models are released.

If you take a look at the Microtech website link that I posted on my first post and download the pdf file for the STG-556, take a look at the second picture from the top, it shows "Optional Left or Right Hand Ejection Port". :)
OMG !!! I am so buying a lefty one. Do they come in Green? The AXR that is, i don't like the idea of the proprietary mag system of the STG-556.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wildcard said:
AR-15SP1 said:

OMG !!! I am so buying a lefty one. Do they come in Green? The AXR that is, i don't like the idea of the proprietary mag system of the STG-556.
Yes, the AXR will be initially available in green, black and tan.

After that the AXR will also be available in many colors like multicam, digital camo, custom, etc, a lot more colors than the only three colors (green, black and tan) of the STG-556.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Styer Aug has been my "dream gun" since I was a little kid. I have always wanted one but the $3000+ price tag always kept them out of reach. Recently, with the addition of the PS90 and FS2000 to my collection, I decided I was going to do what is nessasary to add an Aug to my collection in the near future. With current production bringing down prices to what they are quoting, I can definalty see me ending up with one from each company :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a link of the first video of the MSAR STG 556 which should be available sometime next month.

Note, QuickTime player might be required to view the video.

Enjoy! :D

http://www.msarinc.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay I will admit I skimed the posts but I saw the price of the AXR at around $2,000 but I didn't see a price for the Stg-556. Does anyone know the price of it or it the AXR's price has firmed any?

·
Vendor
5,652 Posts
What a SWEET rifle!! Now I have to save up for this!!! I think I like this better than the FS2000. I like that it takes standard AR mags. I got tons of those. :D

1 - 20 of 121 Posts