FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the Pentagon has granted soldiers, sailors and airmen religious freedom to grow a beard and wear a turban IN UNIFORM. The purpose of a uniform is unite our servicemen in the appearance of clean, fit and organized professionals. This is an outrage and it makes me want to get out for good. Please write your senators and congressmen today and express your concern for this type of political correctness that has no place in our military. Our military needs civilian help to maintain its standards and traditions which really do help make it an effective organization.
I believe in being tolerant- but not to a point to where it divides us- The men and women serving our country need to be one breathe...one military united!!!!

Reactions: teamsuzukigsxr

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Camo Burkas next ?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My dad was career navy and got out in the late 90s. He has pictures back when i was a kid and he had a long beard while on deployment.
Being clean shaven is only a couple decades old decision.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
A bit more needs to be read.

And appeals to be allowed to wear beards or special apparel, for example, may be denied if they hinder the safe operation of weapons or military equipment, such as helmets or protective masks.
-SS

·
Registered
58 Posts
If anybody can grow a beard then I am ok with it. I already have to watch guys kiss outside of the PX and are getting ready to let women into the infantry what the difference now if we let everybody grow beards. Just as long as Soldiers dont get Sleeve Tats thats where we should draw the line :p

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
My dad was career navy and got out in the late 90s. He has pictures back when i was a kid and he had a long beard while on deployment.
Was allowed as far back as the 70's but had to be gone when you hit port.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
When they didn't forcibly shave the terrorist Hassan everyone should've seen the writing on the wall. This was allowed only to promote tolerance of Muslims, nothing else.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Incorrect. The policy has been in effect for the Army since World War I, as a result of chemical warfare. The AR 670-1 clearly defines wear and appearance of the uniform. It has been the standard (other than neatly groomed mustache) to have no facial hair. Case by case exceptions have been made...as with the Navy and knee-high Navy (USCG).

AR 670-1
1-8.
a. Hair
(1) General. The requirement for hair grooming standards is necessary to maintain uniformity within a military population."

(a) ....."Hairstyles that do not allow soldiers to wear headgear properly, or thy interfere with the proper wear of the protective mask or other protective equipment, are prohibited."

(c) Males will keep their face clean-shaven when in uniform or in civilian clothes on duty. Mustaches are permitted; if worn, makes will keep mustaches neatly trimmed, tapered, and tidy. ..."

The regulation continues, and is very explicit. Just because someone got to do something on deployment, doesn't make it correct or within regulation.

I am am sick and ****ing tired of this political correctness. The standard exists for a reason. You can't get a good seal on a protective mask if you have facial hair. Period. Sikh makes also grow their hair really long. She we also allow for that?

Time to take some Soldiers to the CS chamber. However, there will not be any requirement to remove the mask...just keep it on in the chamber for 30 minutes. I hope you have a good seal on it beard-wearers. How's your religion working out for you now?

Pandering bull****.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A pro mask seals just fine with a trimmed beard. I've tried it.

I'd be fine with this decision if it was across the board. However, by singling out the Islamic and Sheik soldiers, all this does is elevate them above the rest of us. That's not only not fair, it's blatantly wrong and unconstitutional. WTF, over?

·
Registered
514 Posts
What the F(#K is wrong with our country. Is this NOT AMERICA? Please tell me that this is just a big joke?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Facial hair became an issue to the military during WWI with the advent of chemical weapon warfare. To create a proper seal with the gas masks to protect from mustard gas etc. facial hair needs to be removed. Nowadays chemical weapons are much more capable and require only skin contact to have desired affects, inhalation is rarely necessary. Somehow between WWI and today, the idea of being clean shaven became synonymous with being proper, and facial hair is generally more seen as rustic, undisciplined, and even as a symptom of either homelessness or lack of hygiene. Special Forces operators are allowed facial hair... I remember the one thing I hated most about being in was having to shave every day. I love being able to grow a beard. The legitimate reasons the military originally had for not allowing facial hair (aside from that stupid looking mustache) are now no longer valid, and even if they become so, it takes any half competent man 5 minutes to shave his facial hair off. When stateside or in a noncombat zone, I don't see the problem.

As for the uniformity argument: We have people of varying skin colors, heights, body shapes, hair colors, and even within the Marine Corps hairstyles can vary enough to refute the claim to uniformity (after bootcamp at least). The uniforms, IMO, are all that is needed to distinguish, well, uniformity. Individualism isn't exactly scorned in the military, individuals have different rank insignia, time in service stripes, medals/ribbons, and there are even different uniforms. Graduating MCRD, the Company Honorman wears Dress Blues, while the rest of the new marines in the company wear their green Alphas. Go to any military base, regardless of branch, and you will see various uniforms for the same branch running around.

Personally, I think that the whole religion requirement be dropped. If mission requirements do not require a gas mask, allow them to grow facial hair.

·
Registered
244 Posts
A pro mask seals just fine with a trimmed beard. I've tried it.

I'd be fine with this decision if it was across the board. However, by singling out the Islamic and Sheik soldiers, all this does is elevate them above the rest of us. That's not only not fair, it's blatantly wrong and unconstitutional. WTF, over?
Are you willing to test that with Sarin gas instead of a couple tabs of CS?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love all these ignorant comments spouting nonsensical drivel and blatant lies. This new directive covers all religions recognized by the US military and does not seek to procure special treatment for any particular group or religious denomination. This directive has been put in place to help show that the US military cares about the religious needs of its members. I wonder how many qualified individuals have considered joining the military because they love their country and have decided not to sign on the dotted line because of intolerance and discrimination. This policy also says that should in the unlikely event should a beard or head garment be in the way of mission readiness, the commander has the authority to deny the petitioner's application for accommodation.

As for the whole chemical warfare argument, please just stop it. You are making yourselves look like fools when you postulate that US troops are in danger from a chemical attack. In none of our recent conflicts has any danger of chemical warfare arisen.

The military is changing, get over it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
So can I grow a sweet beard if I change my religion to non-practicing Sikh?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
This directive has been put in place to help show that the US military cares about the religious needs of its members. I wonder how many qualified individuals have considered joining the military because they love their country and have decided not to sign on the dotted line because of intolerance and discrimination.
So you're saying that if I wanted to grow a beard and justify it by using my faith (Christianity), I'd be allowed? Somehow I doubt it. As for people not joining because of "intolerance and discrimination", please educated and enlightened Sir, share your many examples.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had a no shaving profile while serving in the Army. The army claim was that the beard interfered with the protective mask - there was some justification for this while I experimented with gas as part of my additional NBC NCO duties.

Turbans and beards for religious reasons - nonsense. Plus if anyone claims that this is for the military to be tolerant of all religions - they are swallowing a big lie. It is clearly for non-Christians. Hasan's acts were workplace violence - yeah right.

The military changing is no excuse for this type of political correctness.

Zyklon - does your name refer to Zyklon B? Yes, I know, just a harmless pesticide used in Germany by the Nazi's.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I love all these ignorant comments spouting nonsensical drivel and blatant lies. This new directive covers all religions recognized by the US military and does not seek to procure special treatment for any particular group or religious denomination. This directive has been put in place to help show that the US military cares about the religious needs of its members. I wonder how many qualified individuals have considered joining the military because they love their country and have decided not to sign on the dotted line because of intolerance and discrimination. This policy also says that should in the unlikely event should a beard or head garment be in the way of mission readiness, the commander has the authority to deny the petitioner's application for accommodation.

As for the whole chemical warfare argument, please just stop it. You are making yourselves look like fools when you postulate that US troops are in danger from a chemical attack. In none of our recent conflicts has any danger of chemical warfare arisen.

The military is changing, get over it.
:icon_wtf:

On a side note, since you are so knowledgeable about future events as important as chemical attacks on our troops, tell me who will win the Super Bowl? Thanks in advance. :wink:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts