FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems like an excellent choice for my SCAR. I'd like to swap the SWFA SS 1-6x on it now for something similar with a bit more magnification probably moving the SWFA scope onto an AR-15. I've seen a small number of reviews of this this scope and they are overwhelmingly very positive. It basically has a real daylight bright red dot combined with a FFP, true 1X 1-8, great glass and is mil/mil. Sure the price is steep, but you know the old rule of thumb - spend as much or more on your scope as on the rifle it will go on. This one does not quite get to that level of spend. It would be great to know if others are considering this or if there are some reviews (other than ar15.com and snipershide). Other than a steep price the only other con I see to this scope is that it is butt ugly...

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 10.36.35 PM.png

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
A little heavy at 22 oz, but you can't (yet) get that kind of performance and durability for nothing.

Honestly I think we'll continue to see innovation in the 1-6/1-8 arena over the next couple of years, with hopefully prices dropping as well as some weight.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
I have no direct experience with that scope but if you're seriously looking at scopes in that price range I'd urge you to look at the Leupold mk-8. USO scopes are optically excellent, I just never cared for the human engineering on the ones I've played with.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks.

The Leopold Mark 8 appears to be minimally (depending on reticle/options) 50% more expensive than the USO. I'd also like a true 1X. I've never run a 1.1X myself but I've heard a lot of grumbling from those who like to shoot both eyes open, at minimal magnification, that it definitely less than ideal.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
1-4 and 1-6 optics have matured a bit and settled on a pretty compact form factor, but 1-8ish scopes still have a was to go IMO.

I love rhe 8x top end on my IOR Valdata but the weight and size on the SCAR got the weapon out of the lightweight battle carbine form factor I have in mind. I think it partly the weight and size, coupled with the SCARs height above bore being higher than the AR just threw off the balance of the weapon.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Thanks, that's a solid scope, however, I'm really looking for a 1-8 or even 1-10 for the SCAR.
That field is pretty narrow, typically heavy and expensive as well.

But having just moved my IOR 1.5-8x off my SCAR 17 and replaced it with a 1.5-4x, I miss the high end for sure. But not the size and weight.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well, I've got one of these on order. I know-could almost buy another 17, and I would if I could-but then i would need two optics for two rifles!! I wanted a 1x close range optic and some decent mag for longer ranges. With a Reddot an a higher mag scope, though, your already there with cost and weight. I opted for some upgrades though so I have about 8 weeks longer to wait for the special order( maybe quicker). Ill post up pics and info for everyone when I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ordered the EREK elevation, so I can actually dial for some extended ranges, not into the BDCs.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Any pics yet? I am picking up an SR-8C today, it'll reside in a BOBRO QD mount on top of the SCAR 17S. I'll be sure to post up pics or start a new thread once she's setup.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I got it just waiting on a mount so I can get some good pics of how it's set up on a SCAR-difficult to snap relevant pics w/o a mount. So far, though- very nice,
-heavy duty construction is obvious
-clicks on EREK knob and windage are audible tactile and definite
-loving the 8CMil reticle
-the dot is definitely daylight visible, so much so that I can't imagine how bright the sun would have to be for the upper levels of the 11 brightness settings would be needed
-I don't have a lot of experience with 1x scopes but from 6ft to infinity it's so 1x, I kept closing 1 eye and opening the other back and forth to confirm that the 1 clear image I saw wasn't because the un-scoped eye was blocked by the tube(it was not blocked!)

Sorry to tease, but ill get pics up as soon as I can.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run a SR8 & it is superb. No eye box or FOV issues whatsoever. It is 22 oz. naked. I run mine on a NF 1.125" Unimount which is one of the lightest. It's Lighter than Leupy 1.1x8 BTW. The form factor is larger however.
Considering that a SCAR 17 is one of the lightest .308 @ 7.9 lbs.,
I genuinely think the complaints about weight are overrated exaggerated compared to other's on the market to pick from. If you want the lightest then NF 2.5x10x24 fits that billet @ 17.5 oz. & the smallest form factor. Run a MRDS @ 1.5 oz & it's done. Figure out if you want to give up the 1x vs. 2.5x. Or really won't be using a MRDS on the 1x. You gain 2x on the top w/ the NF which s handy for 800 yd shots.
Define what you want it to do or what you will be doing w/ it.
Whether you talk w/ Becky or George USO still doesn't know when the SR8 "M" model w/ be out.
HTH... & good luck on your quest...

·
Banned
138 Posts
Well I got the US Optics SR-8c mounted up hand tight in the BOBRO mount, I plan to mount it for real and sight it in later this week, this was just for some photos.

Just from looking through the optic I can tell that this is good glass. Fit and finish is outstanding as you would come to expect at this price point. I love how bright the red dot is, so much so that I don't see the need for the upper half of the brightness settings even in the middle of the day. Nothing in its class even comes close to the brightness of this red dot. For the money it's hard to beat the SFP super bright red dot, and a true 1x with 1-8x in FFP. I plan to sight it in this week and maybe get her out next weekend and stretch her legs a bit at 500yds.

Here are a few crappy phone pics for reference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.