FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after all the advice people gave on another cheaper optic, someone is selling the ACGO TA11E I was set on locally, used for $950 OBO...

I wasn't ready to buy one right now but that seems like a deal I shouldn't pass up? That's around half price. Think that's something to jump on....would you get it for half price rather than spend twice as much for one with a warranty and brand new? Thoughts?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'd try to haggle a price in the $850 range then that model as used would be worth it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If the seller is not the original buyer or has no receipt, send the serial number to Trijicon for mfg date. They warranty for 12 years and replacement of the vial is not cheap, they replace the guts.

A friend had his go dark, so he has an Aimpoint now.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh wow..thanks. I will do that.

Trijocons site says almost $1,600, then I figured taxes and shipping probably at least $1,800 out the door.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I would have known this sooner. Why would anyone buy direct? Hundreds and hundreds less.... Is there any problems worrying about fake ones?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
A. Like others said, make sure that you're getting a real and not a knock off.

B. Unlike guns that you can disassemble and inspect, you can't do that with a used scope.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh wow..thanks. I will do that.

Trijocons site says almost $1,600, then I figured taxes and shipping probably at least $1,800 out the door.
Trijicon stuff generally sells for 70% of their MSRP, ACOGs specifically are long in the tooth and no longer strong sellers due to the various other options now available. Personally, I think 1k is too much for a new ACOG and I wouldn't even consider buying a used ACOG... Actually I wouldn't consider an ACOG at all but you get the picture.

·
Vendor
5,815 Posts
I bought 2 Ta31 used on e-bay $750 each awhile back. One has the tritium totally dead but the other is still bright. They work perfect and were in perfect condition. I just added my REM AI to illuminate the chevron when I need it. :target:
CIMG5561.JPG

Normal view out window
CIMG5569.JPG

REM AI turned on
CIMG5568.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have bought many scopes but just remember if the gas escapes from the scope your screwed or you can NOT GET ADJUSTMENTS FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER YOUR screwed. If you due put it on a credit card that CYA , I did and was covered.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I saw a pretty good looking fake for $700 at a pawn shop. The exact same fake goes for $87 on ebay.

Before you throw down that much money, I would research how to spot a fake Acog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also watch out for ACOGs that could potentially be stolen Gov. property. If you call Trijicon and give them the serial number they will tell you if it was originally sold to the DoD. If you do send it in for repairs/new guts they are obligated to contact the DOD if it was originally sold to them.

If it turns out to be stolen you won't get it back.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The most common US GOVT ACOG's that are usually stolen are in the following models - TA01NSN, TA31, TA31RCOM4 or TA31RCOM150

I dont think any of those are what you are looking at.

From the number of ACOGs, Aimpoints, and KAC sights being sold on eBay and at gun shows I do not think that they were all "stolen" but were sold in lots as surplus at some point. I have seen literally half a table of KAC rails, Aimpoints, and ACOGs at a gunshow that still had remains of camo paint and desert dust on them. That was not some Joe selling a few he snuck out the back door but probably a lot that was sold as surplus.

There are several factors involved with military equipment making it to the civilian market.

Supply and accountability went by the wayside about 15 years ago and within the last 2-3 years is being reemphasized as a command emphasis. There is A LOT of equipment that gets handed out to units through various sources. And a lot of that equipment never gets put on the books. Paper trails suck and people, whether Soldiers or contractors, are lazy. Or inexperienced.

Or there is excess and the supply sergeant does not want to do a FOI and add it to the books just to get rid of it.

And it's too easy to write off equipment, especially in theater.

In the end be suspect of any ACOGs (or at the bare minimum the standard issue models) out there. Ask questions of the individual. Talk to Trijicon. Are you ever going to be 100% sure? I don't know. But if you don't do your homework, "I didn't know" will at a minimum cause the loss of your optic.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I bought 2 Ta31 used on e-bay $750 each awhile back. One has the tritium totally dead but the other is still bright. They work perfect and were in perfect condition. I just added my REM AI to illuminate the chevron when I need it. :target:
X

Normal view out window
X

REM AI turned on
X
Nice. An ACOG tripower.

BTW OP it would be in your best interest to ask the seller if it was sent in for any service ask to have them send you papers from Trijicon if so, they are legit. I bought a TX30 off ebay. The seller included sales and warranty papers upon sale.

Also not to steer you away from ACOG's entirely but have you looked at Vortex VIPER PST 1-4 Ill milrad,
Results for vortex viper pst 1-4x24 - Sorted by Best Match on Page 1 (All 6 items.) - OpticsPlanet
These seem to be doing really well, lifetime warranty and new for less than EBAY used.

GL

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies. Definitely rethinking it used but if I do I'll do my homework.

Pretty set on an ACOG as my most desired optic because of the familiarity from the military.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Definitely rethinking it used but if I do I'll do my homework.

Pretty set on an ACOG as my most desired optic because of the familiarity from the military.
If your dead set on an ACOG for the SCAR17 I would recomend the 3.5x35 TA11J-308 both for the eye relief and the extra precision of the reticle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was originally looking at that until I saw the 11E that was the same as the one I used in Afghanistan, but .308. Is the 11J really that much better?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Depending on your intended engagement range, with a 3.5x fixed optic at ranges past 300 yards I think you will struggle with a chevron type reticle like the TA11E.

I like ACOGs in general but hate the donut or the chevron reticles as they lack precision at distance. It's especially obvious at 200 yards as it can be difficult to use the bottom of the reticle to get smaller groups. The TA11J version solves that problem with its crosshair reticle.

The J reticle will likely not be as fast as the donut or chevron reticles in CQB-type drills but it is clearly more precise especially in the 200-300+ yard range.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts