1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My question is how is this even legal? I though that people were suppose to be secure in there home and positions. Bugging someones car without warrent is illegal in my eyes. The second question is how is this technology admisable? What I mean is how do we know who was being tracked? What if the guy found the device and throw it in the trash and the cops tracked the garbage truck?

I think it's BS.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another reason to use a map and compass. A man who has to use a GPS to get around isn't really a man, he's an idiot!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well heck kimosaby, why not ditch the car too? Real men can walk. :D

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Another reason to use a map and compass. A man who has to use a GPS to get around isn't really a man, he's an idiot!
Ha, good luck with your map and compass in the featureless desert. Can't terrain associate and you're bound to lose your bearing sooner or later. GPS is pretty much the only way to get around there. That or ask the Bedouin, but they aren't always available or friendly.

I once asked a Kurdish Peshmerga soldier how they navigated during their war with Saddam during the Anfal Campaigns. He said simply "you ask the shepherd". Shepherds are even better than the map and compass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Topper said:
Well I'm also a pilot and I use a GPS to get around. Actually I have THREE GPS in the plane. I don't ~have~ to use it but it makes navigation a lot easier and safer. It also keeps me out of those pesky TFR (Temporary Flight Restricted) areas that pop up as George W. makes his rounds. I guess that makes me an idiot times 3? Let's not be Luddites.

This is my instrument panel.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yeah, we could do a real man test of GPS vs Map and Compass. We'll post a grid reference and then we can both set off at the same time and try to find it. I'm betting I get there first while you're still sitting there trying to remember if you need to subtract or add your map declination in the northern hemisphere in order to do a proper resection to locate your position after your terrain association fails. I had 4 different GPS units in Iraq, the Garmin etrex legend, the etrex vista C, foretrex 101, and the Ancient PLGR sitting in it's mount guiding the FBCB2. The extrex's were used several times as a backup when the FBCB2 went down due to heat issues. When you need your grid fast, there's no substitute for a good hand held unit.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree, GPS and Navigation units, be it handheld or vehicle one are great. They save me a ton of time when I'm on the road. If people are worried about their past whereabouts, every nag unit I've ever seen had a history delete option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts