Votes: 49 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 24.6%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, is it legal to use a Magpul AFG on an AR pistol?

I have read multiple threads and what people posted and stated was that the ATF said that an AFG can be put on an AR pistol legally, only true vertical grips are illegal. Also, I would assume if the AFG is approved, the XTM would be as well

Can anyone confirm or deny before I do it?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I have read the ATF letter regarding Angled Fore Grips..If i remember correctly they do not fit the definition of a Vertical grip..like I always say I am no expert so if you have information that contradicts what I'm saying please pull it forward no insult taken I'm almost positive that I read that letter before though.??

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The XTM would be fine on a pistol AR type firearm. Heck it's not even considered a Grip but a Hand stop.

Reactions: s4mur41h4x0r

·
Registered
6,620 Posts
AFGs are legal on pistols. There is a letter from the ATF and I'm sure someone will post a link shortly.

Reactions: s4mur41h4x0r

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Mega Ditto's!!!

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Curious, who responded "no" in the poll???

"Come out come out where ever you are..."

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Mine definitely will have one..A long with a SIG BRACE until those little green and black ~1" squarish things come in..Then it Party Time...

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Well that settles it. One is going on my Sig 556P. I was waffling back and forth.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Don't do it man, it's a grip, check it out: https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/041006-openletter-nfa-adding-vertical-fore-grip.html

There is no logic in determining that the angled fore GRIP is somehow different from a vertical fore grip. By the ATF's logic in the above letter, just having a HAND guard or rail on an AR pistol means it's no longer designed to be used with one hand. I should write to the tech branch and use their logic to illustrate that the AFG or even a hand guard/rail, demonstrates that the pistol is now designed to be used with two hands, making them AOW's. Ironically the arm brace which so many said was non-conforming actually demonstrates it is designed to be used with one hand.

What should happen is a terrible boating accident...where the ATF sinks to the bottom instead of citizen's weapons.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Don't do it man, it's a grip, check it out: https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/041006-openletter-nfa-adding-vertical-fore-grip.html

There is no logic in determining that the angled fore GRIP is somehow different from a vertical fore grip. By the ATF's logic in the above letter, just having a HAND guard or rail on an AR pistol means it's no longer designed to be used with one hand. I should write to the tech branch and use their logic to illustrate that the AFG or even a hand guard/rail, demonstrates that the pistol is now designed to be used with two hands, making them AOW's. Ironically the arm brace which so many said was non-conforming actually demonstrates it is designed to be used with one hand.

What should happen is a terrible boating accident...where the ATF sinks to the bottom instead of citizen's weapons.
Not necessarily. The key words here are "designed" and "held and fired". A decent lawyer can argue that a grip doesn't necessarily mean the it is designed to be held and fired by two hands, only that it's meant as additional point of carrying or handling the weapon outside of it operation. Especially in the case of hand guard or rail or barrel shroud/extension, as it can be easily argue they are intended as safety accessories. Sure, they can be misused as grips but that is NOT illegal (e.g. just because you are sh|tting in the sink doesn't mean sinks are designed to be sh|t in).

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

See there's a problem in your logic, in that you assume the government uses logic. Print out the letter from the previous page, put it in your gun case, and go about your merry way with an AFG on. I have noticed the debate on the arm brace, and that there are letters stating (from the ATF) that only the INTENT of the design is the problem, not being how it's used. Therefore, there is nothing illegal about pressing it up against your should. Btw, forgive me for throwing in a red herring in continuing the arm brace. However, thank you OP for bringing this up!

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is why I made this topic, no matter where you go people argue it is not legal while others do. Maybe another up to date letter is needed from the ATF

1 - 20 of 34 Posts