FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An older lady/friend of the family gave me a bunch of old ammo today. It was her brother's, who is now in a rest home and she was asked to give everything away. It's mostly old stuff. Hundreds of rounds of .357 and 38 spl., 12 gauge slugs and shot. Below is a picture of a box of some of the ammo and one .357 round. Just wondering what your thoughts are on actually shooting this old stuff. I have no idea how old it is, but it's been around a while. The picture doesn't show how old this stuff looks...that bullet actually looks fairly new. What do you all think?

photo-26.JPG

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Some ammunition is collectable, even fairly current ammunition. You might want to check out the International Ammunition Association forum: International Ammunition Association {iaaforum.org} - Index page

Depending on how it was stored, it should be fine to shoot. I would be cautious about anything that looks reloaded unless you know the habits of the the previous owner.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I think it looks ok. There are some reloads, but I think the guy knew his stuff ok. I think the S&W 686 will handle it fine. What a cool surprise though...free ammo!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck with the old ammo, you did ask about the OLD guns the ammo was for right ?
Absolutely. I procured a win 30-30 model 94 but that landed with a buddy. All the other stuff has been absconded. Well there is a really old .22 revolver but I'm not really sure what it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts