FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the entry and exit lenses are made of? What is the best way to clean them? If they are plastic, would one of those "lense pens" with the concave brush on one side, bristle brush on the other and the cleaner built into the cap be safe to use?

Has anyone shot their gun in the pouring rain? Do rain drops stick to the lenses? I have no clue as to whether rain is an issue, but I was thinking if it is, then I could make up some rain hoods out of folded plastic and velcro them to the top of the sight to keep the rain off the lenses. Any thoughts?

Going to firearms requal tomorrow morning, and they're saying it's going to pour all day with a high temp in the 40's. Thought about the rain issue at the last moment of course.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
andygold said:
Anyone know what the entry and exit lenses are made of?
Feels like glass from the touch but its plastic(I know this because I chipped one of my lense during an experiment and the edges were not sharp like glass). A tough plastic like the headlights on a Porsche.

andygold said:
What is the best way to clean them?
If they are plastic, would one of those "lense pens" with the concave brush on one side, bristle brush on the other and the cleaner built into the cap be safe to use?
Lense pen would work. Personally I use a new/unused micro fiber towl.

andygold said:
Has anyone shot their gun in the pouring rain? Do rain drops stick to the lenses? I have no clue as to whether rain is an issue, but I was thinking if it is, then I could make up some rain hoods out of folded plastic and velcro them to the top of the sight to keep the rain off the lenses. Any thoughts?
Sorry, never shot any of mine in the rain, don't like to get my shoes muddy :-D
But if you do make the "rain hoods", please post some pics.

·
Banned
63 Posts
I used mine in the rain recently. I barely even noticed the drops on the lenses, didn't seem to be an issue to me.
I wasn't really paying attention, but it's good that I didn't notice because I take that as meaning it was a non issue.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I"m really confused.....from looking at the the Ring Sight website, it says;

The MC-10-80 is specifically designed for the FN Herstal P90. The sight is a unit power telescopic sight with a black graticule for day use and a open T for night use lit by a red tritium light source. Being NVG compatible it is ideally suited to 24 hour operations.
The sight is available for every type of rifle or carbine in service and can be fitted to standard Picatinny or STANAG mount.
Aiming is instinctive and target acquisition instantaneous. The P90 is fitted with an integral optical sight without magnification, for improved sighting and quicker acquisition of the target. Performance is fully retained in low light conditions.
In the P90 the solid glass optic is potted into a plastic housing designed as part of the weapon interfacing with it through two zeroing screws for elevation and windage. The sight withstands the NATO drop test by dropping the gun onto concrete, sight down, from 1.5 metres without damage to the sight.
The sight has a 10mm aperture and two graticule patterns. Small and large rings lit by light from the target for day use and, for low light, an open T lit by a red gtls enhanced by light from the sky. The open T can be used with the naked eye or for shooting with Night Vision Goggles.
The gtls can be replaced by an armourer when necessary, using a knife with advice from Ring Sights technical department. This is the only maintenance required.
I have the black reticle/graticule, yet mine like everyone else's with the black reticle, the housing is metal, not plastic like the website says. I thought that the USSS sight had a different part number than the white sight. I was under the impression that the MC-10-80 was for the plastic housing, white reticle sight. I'm wondering if Ring Sights has done away with the white reticle altogether, and switched over to the black one in a plastic shell shaped like the one used with the USSS sight. I can't really check it out as the website is under construction.

·
Vendor
5,623 Posts
Sounds like a question for The weekly FN question section. He has said that the White ring sight has been discontinued and all new guns have the Black Sight.

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
All I know is the broken edges felt plastic to me; otherwise, I'd have cut my finger running it along the broken edges.
Either its plastic or I got real luck when I broke a corner off of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts