FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gov proposes 4-day week for most state workers

Gov. Jon Huntsman will order thousands of state employees to stay home on Fridays as part of a four-day week intended to cut energy costs at government buildings.

Starting in August, Huntsman expects about 17,000 people will be affected by the yearlong program where employees would work 10 hours a day, four days a week.

Thousands more at public universities, the Utah state court system, prisons and other offices that are open seven days a week would be exempt.

Huntsman said Utahns would still have adequate access to government services, with longer hours during the four days and online options. More than 800 state services are offered online.

About 1,000 of 3,000 state buildings would be closed on Fridays, cutting energy costs by about 20 percent, according to Huntsman's staff.

In addition to saving money, the governor said the new schedule could help recruit younger workers who prefer a three-day weekend and help the environment by reducing commutes.

Huntsman said Utah needs to be a leader in finding ways to cut costs, help the environment and raise employee morale.

He believes Utah is breaking new ground. A message left with the National Association of State Personnel Executives in Lexington, Ky., was not immediately returned.

``This is something that has been done at a local government level, and there's some examples in our own state, and some examples in other states, but has never been done at a statewide level,'' Huntsman said during his monthly KUED news conference.

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/topnews/story.aspx?content_id=f147bb19-217a-4d90-a293-45067a7e447b

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
so would this be an icrease in how long they actually work?
I don't know if that was a sarcastic remark towards the work ethic of state gov employees or if it was a serious question. :lol: The longer hours referred to in the story are about state services that would need to adjust schedules to compensate for being closed on Fridays. The change in shifts still equate to a standard 40 hour work week, just consolidated into 4 days instead of 5.

I think Gov. Huntsman has a great thing going with this. I know I would love to have an extra day off to take care of business, but unfortunately I work in the private sector and my company hasn't been changing anything yet. As gas prices and infrastructure costs due to high energy bills keep rising, we'll see more and more adjustments to the way gov and businesses run things. I can't wait until I can work from home half the week cutting my commuting costs in half.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I guess it's a good thing that the SCOTUS ruled the way they did, being that city governments will probably start prioritizing 911 calls based on fuel usage and limited staffing hehehe.

Zhur

·
Premium Member
3,591 Posts
ShipWreck said:
In addition to saving money, the governor said the new schedule could help recruit younger workers who prefer a three-day weekend
You got to be kidding me..... :roll:

·
Registered
164 Posts
It would be interesting to know how much gas it would save if the US went on a four day work week. Think we could drop our dependency on foreign oil?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts