FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

Has anyone here vacuum sealed their 198LF ammo, and does this help with the long term storage? I just picked up 11 boxes yesterday and figured this would be a good idea. Also....do you store it with an anti-desiccant or is that overkill?

Thanks,
Dom

·
Registered
615 Posts
Haven't bothered to vacuum seal, not sure how it would affect anything related to the ammunition being LF. I turn my inventory enough to not worry about the shorter storage life of the LF cartridges. However, I do store all my ammo with desiccant packs. Both boxes. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I believe you mean a desiccant. Anti-desiccant would add moisture ;) Anyway yes less moisture is always important when it comes to ammo. Fiocchi Canned Heat I think is hermetically sealed or maybe it's one of the other brands. I'll have to read up on vacuum sealing. But definitely use desiccant.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seems like there's nothing *wrong* with vacuum sealing but might be overkill...extreme temps and moisture are more of an enemy to ammo than air itself. Unless you're talking sea air.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How do you guys store your ammo in general? Do you use .50 ammo cans or do you have some other method?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies...I had originally asked the question after seeing a pic of vacuum sealed ammo, from a forum member in one of his posts. Since I have never tried it myself, I figured I would get feedback from guys here.

Just put a deposit on a new 5.7, so I will have the gun soon!!

Super Excited!!

D

·
Administrator
11,086 Posts
Nothing wrong with vacuum sealing except the cost involved. Only problem is if you have ammo with sealed primers and projectiles. In this case, the air may eventually escape the cartridge and reduce the vacuum level but otherwise than that, it is not a bad idea for long term storage. But as mentioned above, heat and humidity are more of a killer.

I store my ammo in a climate controlled environment in either ammo cans or storage boxes.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I think it would be a good idea for long term saving it for SHTF ammo as removing the air should seal out moisture. That and keeping it in a controlled env. as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually do vacuum pack my ammo as a matter of practice. It's more as a way of making sure the ammo stays moisture free though. My storage space (closet shelf) is temperature controlled and doesn't fluctuate much year round but moisture is something I can't always control. I probably could just use ammo cans with silica desiccants but I personally like this method more. I can portion them out the way I want, I know it's air tight and can quickly see it, and I can still stack them and see what it is.

IMG_0688.JPG

Also, on my LF ammos like above, I'll write when the ammo was manufactured somewhere on the pack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome!! With this round being a bit harder to find, I want to make sure it's protected to last as long as possible. I would never have thought I would start stockpiling ammo, but this round is unique.

Dom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wouldn't ammo can and a silica pack keep moister out?
It would but I guess it's more about how you want to store your ammo. Ammo can/silica doesn't work for me. I want to have my ammo portioned out and have the ability to see what it is without having to break the seal every time. The portions are also not bulky and allow me to just grab and throw in a backpack or bag if need be and not worry about the ammo. The backpack can get soaked and I know my ammo is dry and fine and the portion sizes work a lot better too. If I were to store ammo for long term, I would use both. Since I don't have enough ammo on hand for that, I stick with the vacuum bags for my system.

Yeah, but if you remove air and throw in a desiccant you should be able to make it last longer.
Probably if you wanted to go extreme and wanted to make it last as long as possible. The silica would remove trace O2 in the vacuumed bag as most of the air content would have already been removed. How much that would improve the longevity of LF ammo I don't know as I do not know what is actually causing the limited short life of said ammo.

Awesome!! With this round being a bit harder to find, I want to make sure it's protected to last as long as possible. I would never have thought I would start stockpiling ammo, but this round is unique.

Dom
As unique as the round is, personally I would stockpile the SS197SR. The 2 rounds are close enough that I don't worry about one being better than the other. The LF components just scares me as far as long term storage simply because it's new and I don't have enough data points yet. SS197SR uses tried and true components that I'm more confident will outlast me when properly stored.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts