FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry not to put this in reloading, but no one goes there, so here it is. 25f today, 40.2 of Varget with 168gr Custom Comp. I didn't work on this load, but it shot a 1in. 3 shot before. There are 10 shots, two off to the left of the pic to correct the scope, I made an adjustment to get on target. I use CCI primers and the brass is once fired LC nato, I did weigh them and sorted and was careful with the powder. Not sure what the outliers were, but some had very hard neck tension. I aimed well on each, and had a return to the tight pattern, so it wasn't the barrel. Again, I string a little, but my SCAR really like the Varget. The crappy BSA scope is still strong and it was 10 degrees warmer today. I think 6 at MOA show this is a very good shooting rifle.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Good work!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
WAAooooWwww! (Christopher Walken voice). You found Varget?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
WAAooooWwww! (Christopher Walken voice). You found Varget?
There's a powder distributor about 45 minutes from me that almost always has at least the 1 pounder's in stock. It's also showing up at a couple other places every so often that are closer.

Good shooting! I have yet to try varget. My SPR like IMR 4064 pretty well though and I have a decent supply of it.

Reactions: FLyon

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lyman suggests that it is similar to 4064. Certainly my 40.2 is on the low side and would run out of steam but if I hit a low sweet spot, it's cheaper to load and easier on the brass . Not even sure where I got that load as I haven't worked it up or down. Powder is somewhat easy to get around here and I'd like to find a sweet spot with RL15 or XBR as I have more of that. I'm still a cheapskate when it comes to targets!!

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I've been happy with 4064. I can get it for $5-8 cheaper than varget usually (the 45 minute drive to the distributor is well worth it. Much cheaper powder all around and they actually have pistol powder - and cheaper than anywhere else I've seen it)

·
Registered
961 Posts
I want Varget for some match loads for the heavy (not sure if it will make much of a difference) and to test out on my 200 grain Lapua bullets for subsonic loads. I am new to reloading. I have read in many places that Varget was less temperature sensitive and more consistent overall than 4064.

Since I just moved back to Texas and to a new home, I have to set up a place to begin my reloading operation. I plan to lean on this section of the forum. Thanks in advance.
Cheers!
:th_143:

·
Registered
961 Posts
If I find it. When I find it. I would likely buy the limit! If you fellas have your fill and there is a locale you care to share with me in a pm, I would be obliged.
:icon_thumbup:

·
Registered
972 Posts
I use Varget for my FNAR loads as well. I have found a sweet spot at 39.8 gr behind a 168 gr. amax or the 168 gr. bthp match bullets. I am also using commercial brass instead of the LC. That is out of a 20 inch barrel, so may not work with the 16" Scar. I worked with 4064 as well, but seem to get better consistency from season to season with the Varget. It can be 95 in the summer, and -10 in the winter, and Varget seems to need less adjustment to the POA vs. POI than the 4064. The groups seemed to be fine with 4064, but found myself adjusting my scope with the change of the season.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's your COAL, I had to go down a few thou as the Customs comps were so hard on the lands I had to hit the charging handle to eject. I can go full COAL on any but the 168's. I have some 175's coming just to try and will see how long I can make them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thumper, Is that 44 gn Varget in Lake City Brass or civilian 308 brass? and is that regular Large Rifle Primer of Magnum or Match primer? I just got the 2018 Hodgdon(Manufacturer of Varget) Annual Reloading Manual and it shows starting load of 42.0g and max of 45.0g* compressed load for the civilian 308 brass for 175 SMK's and Varget powder. My Lyman Load data shows the max charge at 45.2g* compressed.

·
Registered
882 Posts
4 year old post probably won't get answers. Let us know what you are really looking for. Caliber, Gun , Projectile, You know just the important stuff. Maybe some help here for you if you can help us with what your looking for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am working up a long range accuracy load for my SCAR 17S 308 using Lake City Military Brass, 178g Hornady ELD-X bullets, and Varget Powder. I already worked up an accurate 150gn Load and unexpectedly took 3rd place in the 500 yard target competition when my buddy encouraged me to try my new SCAR 17 at long range. I've been reading a lot of the FN Forum reloading posts and realized I needed a heavier bullet to prove that the SCAR 17 could be accurate upto 1000 yards and higher velocity than what 40.0 g of Varget will get me. I really want to know if my 1000ct Winchester WLR primers are consistent enough for long range or if I should switch to regular CCI, or Federal large rifle primers. I live in Rural Montana and don't have easy access to Match primers and I hate to pay the Hazmat freight charges for just primers.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use cci primers and have had good performance from 4064 however my rounds are for hunting and I haven't shot the range your competing at. I have finally found Varget and I'm working up some loads that I will begin to shoot once things thaw out a bit. I have found a bullet that shows promise and it is a Sierra tipped match king. As with any load that you develop trial and error will be the stepping stone you will have to walk upon to find the load your looking for. I may not have helped much but I will say to pay attention to headspace. Also ogives on the bullet your loading change the way your round finds the lands with the rifle your shooting them from. Hornady makes gauges that will help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I appreciate hearing your good experience with cci primers. Have you compared them to other brands and seen a better result with CCI? My neighbor used to swear by 4350 or 4064 but showed me that his target groups shrank by 1/3" when he switched to Varget! then the hard part was finding Varget. p.s. that was the 1st rifle competition I've been in since 1988, My friend talked me into entering to support the local veterans group; But my SCAR 17 made it so easy that now I want to compete in just the local fun shoots. I got a Burris 4x-14x Scope to replace the 5.5x ACOG I used in that competition so I can be more on par with what the other long range shooters had. Trust me I will put that ACOG (Clearest Scope I have ever had) to good use on a mid range rifle. But I needed more power for my old eyes to see the far targets.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Congrats on your success shooting and I would suggest starting your own thread to get more responses. Varget is a great powder for 223 and 308. You may struggle getting to 1k with consistent accuracy. The bullet will go transonic before you get to 1k with most accepted 308 loads and the SCAR’s 16 inch barrel. 4064 will get a bit more velocity than Varget at max. Varget is less temp sensitive than 4064. Be careful and watch for pressure signs, Lake City cases usually have less volume than commercial cases so max may be less than what Hodgdon is showing. Regarding CCI primers they work well as do most others. What I’ve found is they aren’t interchangeable without reworking the load. Good luck with your load pursuit.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Wow that is a huge difference between the primers shown. I never expected so much difference! Thank you for pointing this out!
Here is a good visual as to how changing primers affect you otherwise once prime loads. Just changing the primers can cause all sorts of additional problems with worked up loads so as usual, if you change ONE component on a worked up load, you need to reduce that load by 10% and work it up again.

Primer Flash Test Photos

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.