FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that they have restricted ammo, but my question is If I had it in my gun and was pulled over in florida, will I be arrested for possesion of the ammo?

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
Short answer in NO.

To be considered an AP round in Florida, the round has to be larger than .22 calibre, have a truncated cone and be designed for AP purposes. The FiveseveN round that you buy off the shelf does not meet any of these criteria.

I had the same concern and sent a message to the AG of Florida which refused to clarify the question about FiveseveN ammo. They said that it is a question that would be required to be answered by a lawyer and not the AG.

As I can buy FiveseveN rounds in Florida you should not be concerned if you travel here with your FiveseveN or PS90.

I have both, have used them at the range, and have had law enforcement fire both with no problems.

Now if you have SS190 AP ammo, you are screwed. Stick with the SS195/SS197 you are fine.

Now if you already have restricted ammo (SS190/Tracers/AP Designated Ammo) in your posession you are in violation of the law. Does not have to be loaded in your handgun/PS90, just the possession of the AP/Tracer ammo is a voilation.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I think he WAS referring to the SS190 in his question - the restricted ammo - not the standard civilian rounds...

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
The SS190 is banned. If he has it in his posession, he is in violation of the law. Mere posession is sufficient cause for arrest as it IS designated as a AP round.

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
SS192 (Hollow Point - Same as SS195 but with lead primer)
SS193 (Sub Sonic)
SS195 (Hollow Point - Same as SS192 but without lead primer)
SS196 (Red Tip - Sporting round)
SS197 (Blue Tip - Sporting round)

In Florida these are banned:

SS190 AP
L191 Tracer
L91/SS91 Tracer

The are other rounds that may or may not be banned (such as the T194 training round) but I do not have an inclusive list.

The top group is available all over the place except for the sub sonic (SS193) but there are aftermarket rounds available.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you guys do realize the rounds are restricted by FN, unless specific state law outlaws them. They don't qualify as AP under the 1968 GCA. But many states have laws more restrictive.

·
Administrator
11,087 Posts
That is why I specified Florida.

All tracer ammunition regardless of caliber is illegal for citizens to have in their posession.

Different states have different laws. If the SS190 was not designated as AP by FN, it would be legal because it does not meet the other Florida requirements to be considered AP.

·
Registered
980 Posts
It's nice to be a Pennsylvanian.

Our constitution starts out with a declaration of rights that includes this:

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned".

And thankfully it's taken seriously.
Fireworks are illegal in Pennsylvania.
Destructive devices, and weapons and munitions of all sorts, however, are just fine. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have been working on writing up an extensive and thorough analysis and explanation regarding the facts of "Armor Piercing" ammunition (projectiles) and will have this information available for review on this forum and on my website once my BAP projectile is finalized.

"Orbital" and "Esteves" are correct in their statements- and to reiterate... ALL of the 5.7x28 .2245 cal ammunition that FN currently manufactures IS NOT considered or defined as "AP" by the GCA of 68’ and there for NOT restricted on a Federal level only- DOES NOT APPLY TO EACH STATE.

PLEASE check the below link for your state ammunition laws. This is the most current revision from the BATFE:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/27thedition/

I recieved a hard copy of this publication for the last three yrs- last year it was a light blue cover paperback, the year before that was white cover paperback- this year it is yellow cover paperback. Not sure why they are two years behind.

Orbital said:
you guys do realize the rounds are restricted by FN, unless specific state law outlaws them. They don't qualify as AP under the 1968 GCA. But many states have laws more restrictive.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am very interested and curious were you obtained this information regarding
"All tracer ammunition regardless of caliber is illegal for citizens to have in their posession"

this is only for the state of Florida, correct? or all 50 states?

FN only labeled their SS190 as "AP", it was and is not designated "AP" by the Federal Gov. per the GCA of 68'. The BATF does not assign or designate labels either- they only enforce/govern the GCA of 68'.

HK SD9 Tactical said:
That is why I specified Florida.

All tracer ammunition regardless of caliber is illegal for citizens to have in their posession.

Different states have different laws. If the SS190 was not designated as AP by FN, it would be legal because it does not meet the other Florida requirements to be considered AP.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is banned by FN,not the US Gov., for sale to civilians. IT IS legal to purchase,own or use DEPENDING ON YOUR STATE LAW. IT IS NOT DESIGNATED AS AN "AP" ROUND!!

HK SD9 Tactical said:
The SS190 is banned. If he has it in his posession, he is in violation of the law. Mere posession is sufficient cause for arrest as it IS designated as a AP round.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Good info Esteves- Thank you

Also-
Here is my unofficial 5.7x28 policy- which I have not publicized as of now.

“As a Licensed Type 06 Manufacture and seller of custom 5.7x28 ammunition I DO NOT CONDONE the use of any of either FN's SS190, SS191 rounds or my SS91 STP, SS91 STP Tracer, and BAP111 rounds for use with any of the FiveseveN handguns. If I become aware or informed that a buyer such as fnforum member "John Gael" has intent to use my ammunition with the pistol I either disregard their request or inform them of their state laws and advise them against it. My 5.7x28 ammunition is designed and intended for use with only the FN PS90 rifle.”

Esteves said:
It's a bit dated, but still accurate (regarding the federal laws on the books)
http://www.titleii.com/BardwellOLD/ap_ammo.txt

Many states have their own laws that are more restrictive than the federal laws, hence my repeated suggestion that consultation with a local lawyer is a good idea.

Lastly, the FN policy (and processes) that restrict distribution of certain ammunition is just that - a policy, but It's my understanding that it's also backed up by contracts/agreements and there may also be excise tax implications ( http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faetinfo.pdf ).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts